Nvidia makes CA crash

cv2702

Has anyone seen this before (Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti 2GB, Win 10-64):

The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found....

An application has requested more GPU memory than is available in the system.
The application will now be closed.

Error code: 6
 (pid=21668 tid=34496 chief architect premier x10.exe 64bit)

Visit http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3553 for more information.

I'm running 419.67.  Will try 425.31, but does anyone have issues with this latest release?

11 minutes ago, cv2702 said:

Was running a PBR walkthrough.

Ok that is one of the more demanding features but what are you recording.  I just ran a test and I realize my card is not a ti as I bought it just before they came out.  PBR recording at 1080p of over 2,000,000.00 surfaces on my machine uses about 1 GB of the available 8 for Dedicated GPU Memory.  Although it does nearly max out the 3D capabilities of the card.

It maybe related to the Codec being used for the walk-through , some of them use huge amounts of memory and HDD Space it seems.....

I don't do them alot but use XVID or x264VFW when i do per Kirk's recommendation.....

I went back to Nvidia 397.64 and still having issues.  Tried another project and realized it worked just fine.  Now, how does one debug such an issue with a specific plan?  And, of course, I need to deliver in 2 days.

Found the issue.  I had accidently set the 'Adjust lights/lighting mode' to 'Default light set'.  Although I had around 200 lights defined, this setting made a PBR walkthrough crawl to a halt.  Setting it back to 'Automatic (max lights=200)' got me out of trouble.  Now, one wonders why one setting at 200 lights kills it while the other automatic one at 200 lights works fine.

6 hours ago, cv2702 said:

Now, one wonders why one setting at 200 lights kills it while the other automatic one at 200 lights works fine.

If your camera is in the interior and you use the automatic setting it only uses interior lights. If you use the default setting it will also include any exterior lights if you have any in your default lighting setup. With PBR'ing the more active lights the slower it gets, having shadows turned on and also reflections will slow it down.

I should also mention that when using the automatic setting that CA may only be using the interior lights that directly impact on the scene. In other words, though you may have 200 active lights but only 20 of them are in the scene then CA might be using just those. This would certainly speed things up as it would not be processing light effects in unrelated areas. When you set things to default then you are telling CA to use every active light regardless of whether or not they have any impact on the scene.

2 minutes ago, Breeze_Wood said:

one pln when drawing roof kept crashing computer - made pln almost unusable - x11, too bad I'm not seeing other people with same problem.

The most likely reason others are not seeing a problem is that what you are experiencing is probably related specifically to either your plan or your system. If you could post the plan we could possibly confirm it one way or the other.

I am having problems with my program locking up when using the roof tool in X11.  It seems to get worse with multiple roof planes.  I have been having driver issues since X11, but I don't think the roof issue is related, but I could be wrong. When trying to edit a roof plane, I get the spinning blue circle and Task Manager shows that CA is not responding.  Any idea for a fix?

On 4/19/2019 at 11:39 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

The most likely reason others are not seeing a problem is that what you are experiencing is probably related specifically to either your plan or your system. If you could post the plan we could possibly confirm it one way or the other.

good luck, I sent this to support and they had similar issues so * it is a bug - too bad not everyone has encountered "it" - its an addition elevation pln w/ not much detail - without task manager not sure what would ever end it - I would be lost without CA but I pay SSA and now have to start plns in ver 10 till an elevation pln can be drawn before opening in 11 - you can have both ver 10 and 11 plns in the same folder - did not know that before this issue. I have the driver updated for the NVIDIA crd ...

3-31_AD_AFTER_ELEVATION.plan

4 hours ago, Breeze_Wood said:

good luck, I sent this to support and they had similar issues so * it is a bug - too bad not everyone has encountered "it"

Just took a quick look. I have no problems with my camera views. There does seem to be a problem with your exterior walls, you have a custom definition "1-AAA-PRIMARY EXTERIOR WALL", you are using the main layer for your siding and have no defined exterior layer. The main layer is for the framing and the exterior layer is for you siding. Not sure that set-up would work well in CA if it has to build the wall framing.

16 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Just took a quick look. I have no problems with my camera views. There does seem to be a problem with your exterior walls, you have a custom definition "1-AAA-PRIMARY EXTERIOR WALL", you are using the main layer for your siding and have no defined exterior layer. The main layer is for the framing and the exterior layer is for you siding. Not sure that set-up would work well in CA if it has to build the wall framing.

I was notified by support they had the same issue and they would try with an update to fix it ... I have GTX 1050 ti, the driver was updated and KarenC described the same symptom I experienced.

I am a little baffled that support did not have some sort of remedy, hardware solution if not everyone is experiencing the problem ...

I do strictly construction documents - that is a simple pln for elevations to cad view - siding works fine for that application.

* I learned (without knowing what I am describing) Apple no longer supports the GL something chief uses as a platform and it may be a $$$ issue to remedy.

its not camera views, its manipulating the roof planes - it would very for different changes but in the kitchen area the addition was an extension to outside corner, the roof plane hand drawn would not go over the exterior wall for the 16" overhang without crashing - I used a polysolid for the overhang to finish the pln.

48 minutes ago, Breeze_Wood said:

* I learned (without knowing what I am describing) Apple no longer supports the GL something chief uses as a platform and it may be a $$$ issue to remedy.

its not camera views, its manipulating the roof planes - it would very for different changes but in the kitchen area the addition was an extension to outside corner, the roof plane hand drawn would not go over the exterior wall for the 16" overhang without crashing - I used a polysolid for the overhang to finish the pln.

OpenGL was deprecated June last year by Apple in favour of Metal the own API , but I don't think there is any reason to panic , it will still work for years to come most likely , they just won't support it with devlopers from now on so Companies like Chief will eventually have to re-programme Chief to use Metal but Apple knows companies cannot do all that work overnight, so may never remove OpenGL from MAC OS as most Games also use it for 3D currently. It is slowly being removed in Windows as well with the Vulkan API and DXR ( direct X Raytracing eg Nvidia's new 2000 series cards.) slowly taking over and Chief will have to move the PC version to one of them eventually too especially to take advantage of the Real time Raytracing now available with the Nvidia 2000 Cards.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/06/apple-defends-end-of-opengl-as-mac-game-developers-threaten-to-leave/

As for your Plan , it does crash X11 if you pull that roof plane in the top LH corner out over the exterior wall to the left for me too. Have a weird one myself last year like that that they finally tracked down to a bad Wall Cabinet in the Kitchen next to the  Roof plane , I'd have never found it myself , deleted the wall cabinet and everything worked fine and they put out a fix in the next version , so I guess it jnot the same issue exactly.

I agree with Graham your Exterior Wall definition is all kinds of wrong ( build it just like in the real world) but I am not sure it is the cause of the crashing issue.....

M.

If you turn off the Auto Build in the 3D View Defaults you can drag the roof plane just fine. I still really thing it has something to do with the wall type definition and CA is struggling to figure out how to build things. When you get the little blue spinning thing that does not always mean CA has crashed, it is often an indicator that it is hung up in some continuous loop or is waiting for some cray long computation to return a result.

43 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

If you turn off the Auto Build in the 3D View Defaults you can drag the roof plane just fine. I still really thing it has something to do with the wall type definition and CA is struggling to figure out how to build things. When you get the little blue spinning thing that does not always mean CA has crashed, it is often an indicator that it is hung up in some continuous loop or is waiting for some cray long computation to return a result.

I did try it with a new Wall definition ( framing and drywall added) and still got the spinning circle of death..... did not wait for more that 2mins though and then used Task Manager to close as it said Chief wasn't responding...maybe if I waited longer ? Chief used to get a bit crazy if walls didn't have a framing layer but I'm not sure if that is still the case as I always make them per how I build them nowadays....

M.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

I did try it with a new Wall definition ( framing and drywall added) and still got the spinning circle of death..... did not wait for more that 2mins though and then used Task Manager to close as it said Chief wasn't responding...maybe if I waited longer ? Chief used to get a bit crazy if walls didn't have a framing layer but I'm not sure if that is still the case as I always make them per how I build them nowadays....

M.

It's one of the roof planes that's causing the issue. I deleted them all and deleted the attic walls, had CA auto Build roofs and everything is fine. Just trying to track down the roof plane that's causing the issue.

10 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

It's related to the main top front roof plane and the two gable roof planes . I redid their connections and everything seems to be fine.

This wall gets me the spinning circle of dead too, and there is some weird Attic walls building ( see grey attic wall in pic below.) But this wall is building up through the Attic wall and chief crashed when I checked the "stop at ceiling above" box and hit ok....

*** after 5 mins I stopped chief with TM

image.thumb.png.4655137f46b535f709514555769647e9.png

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

This wall gets me the spinning circle of dead too, there is some weird Attic walls building too ( see grey attic wall i pick below.) But this wall is building up through the Attic wall and chief crashed when I checked the "stop and ceiling above" box and hit ok....

image.thumb.png.4655137f46b535f709514555769647e9.png

I meant the main back roof plane. If you delete it all is fine. If you redo the connections all is fine. The only thing I kind find about it is that it's facia height is different from the main front one. Just checking to see if this is the reason.