How to get backsplash area in material list not length?

dskogg

Hi joe, automatic splash, I figured out I could click in field and select item in the extra column of material list and then select the length*6( height in inches)/ 12.. it produces the sq ft of splash but since ca returns linear ft as the standard you can’t select sq ft only ft in the drop down.

i was trying to show the room name where each counter is in but ca doesn’t have that as an option to show in material list.  It looks like I need to make a custom macro for room name.. is it just (macros.roomname%)and add it to a field in the cabinet component of countertop.

8 hours ago, ChiefPlagman said:

You could enter

= backsplash_length * cabinet.backsplash_height / 144

after choosing "Apply Formula to Source Object" in the Count column.

image.thumb.png.594cdbb3ea4e830fd666473e8355f634.png

Thanks for this, how do you know what code to write? Is there a list of items to reference?

• Like 1

The "Insert Macro" button in the cell editor offers a subset of available items when "Apply Formula to Source Object" is selected, including backsplash_length under the menu "Object Specific". For the backsplash row, there is a second menu called "Parent Object", which in this case refers to the cabinet itself. Items in that menu are prefixed with "cabinet." when they are entered into the cell (you may notice "cabinet" is also listed under the "Object Specific" menu. That means any property of the cabinet is available in that cell as long as it is prefixed with "cabinet.").

Ideally, backsplash_height would show up there, but we're currently displaying a limited set of properties in that menu for usability reasons. If we listed everything, certain objects would cause the menu to grow very large. We're working on improving that UI.

At the moment, there are two ways to see the complete list of properties (a.k.a "name-value pairs") for an object.
1. When you have an object selected in a view, open the Ruby Console and enter "owner.names.sort".
2. Use a User-Defined Text Macro, such as %object_properties%.

Anything listed there for a cabinet is available in the material list.
image.thumb.png.09fce8dc0bf155fdd4252f027dffb3fa.png

As a side note, name-value pairs that return numbers are either unitless, inches/millimeters, square feet/square meters, or cubic feet/cubic meters.

Thanks.. I am going to dig in and see what’s available.

of note the values that return numbers will not allow the user to select a unit type sometimes.. ie I did a backplash area calc but there was no sq ft unit to select..

6 hours ago, ChiefPlagman said:

The "Insert Macro" button in the cell editor offers a subset of available items when "Apply Formula to Source Object" is selected, including backsplash_length under the menu "Object Specific". For the backsplash row, there is a second menu called "Parent Object", which in this case refers to the cabinet itself. Items in that menu are prefixed with "cabinet." when they are entered into the cell (you may notice "cabinet" is also listed under the "Object Specific" menu. That means any property of the cabinet is available in that cell as long as it is prefixed with "cabinet.").

Ideally, backsplash_height would show up there, but we're currently displaying a limited set of properties in that menu for usability reasons. If we listed everything, certain objects would cause the menu to grow very large. We're working on improving that UI.

At the moment, there are two ways to see the complete list of properties (a.k.a "name-value pairs") for an object.
1. When you have an object selected in a view, open the Ruby Console and enter "owner.names.sort".
2. Use a User-Defined Text Macro, such as %object_properties%.

Anything listed there for a cabinet is available in the material list.
image.thumb.png.09fce8dc0bf155fdd4252f027dffb3fa.png

As a side note, name-value pairs that return numbers are either unitless, inches/millimeters, square feet/square meters, or cubic feet/cubic meters.

I dont see in the list of named pairs drawer width, drawer depth, door width, door height...are these listed somewhere?

Just now, ChiefPlagman said:

The list of units is limited whenever the Count column formula hasn't been edited.

I don't think we currently have name-value pairs for drawer/door dimensions.

but how do you return sizing, it shows in the components?

If i wanted to do a calculation for plywood material for a drawer could i do this now?

You can obtain the full text shown in the Size column with "=formatted_size", but that text is computed from the dimensions when the material list is generated. We don't currently expose the individual dimensions themselves.
For the room, you could use

=cabinet.room.name