Molding on Barrel Ceiling

Adam_Gibson

Although the molding will only be 1/2" thick, I assume what I'm attempting is to coffer a barrel ceiling. I've tried with ceiling planes and with polyline solid. I prefer the look of the p solid because the arch can be much more fluid if I break the arch (see close up of yucky barrel just below the more fluid one). Either way, I can't figure out how to apply molding to either so it matches the arch.  Heck, I wish I could just apply cabinet doors to form the arch. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

LANZA KITCHEN 01.plan

Untitled 01.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

39 minutes ago, Adam_Gibson said:

Heck, I wish I could just apply cabinet doors to form the arch.

You can use a bow front cabinet-sides and back as just openings. Delete a few surfaces in 3D, convert to a symbol and rotate the symbol. Getting the curves right is likely easier done other ways where you can use a CAD detail to get the curves. But it can be done.

barrel.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, solver said:

These are molding polylines. I used a square edged molding, but they could have a edge profile.

ct1.thumb.png.bb3095c3fe6b9f6b2ad74eb162079019.pngct2.thumb.png.7d671fc48b2876e66feefc2631743eec.png

Eric, would you mind explaining your steps? I'm having a difficult time getting molding lines to generate in elevation view, which is where I assume you did this? Please?

Draw Arc in elevation following ceiling.

Convert Curve To Polyline to increase the number of segments making the molding smooth.

Convert to 3D Molding Polyline.

Space as required.

I might make the molding into a symbol for easier placement.

For the pieces running front to back, you will need a profile with a curved bottom. If you make this from a p-solid, or a symbol from a molding, you may be able to copy and rotate around the radius of the ceiling.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, solver said:

If you make this from a p-solid, or a symbol from a molding, you may be able to copy and rotate around the radius of the ceiling.

Looks like a p-solid can be rotated in elevation, but not a molding or symbol -- can't seem to select them.

• Like 1

ct1.thumb.png.f8ad72e28a372c71faba179f259254ec.png

Molding Polyline arched to match ceiling. Converted to a symbol.

Used it as a background to draw a profile against so I could match the curve. Converted profile to a p-solid.

Placed the center p-solid, then placed a point marking the radius. Used Transform/Replicate to copy and rotate the p-solid about the point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, solver said:

Looks good -- how did you do it?

I followed your instructions! Although, I couldn't figure out the part about a  point marking the radius and using the Transform/Replicate to copy and rotate the p-solid about the point. I thought I had a good handle on that tool, but apparently not. Thank you so much!

How did you place these? That seems like the tricky part of this process.

ct1.thumb.png.5327914c2dd771247a196c0569b9d612.png

Here is what I did. Took the radius of the ceiling and placed a point there. Selected the center trim and copied/rotated it around the point. Taking a couple of angles gave me the info needed to space things evenly.

ct2.thumb.png.47619f911d62d0357c9694b1e9ac43de.pngct3.thumb.png.693a5a1f810c4fa3f60f389590aeb8a4.pngct4.thumb.png.8da9dbb8f8d6dc76278b9c7b172e89c7.png

• Like 1

I see! That's a much better method. I simply did it manually. Once I'd done the left half I copied and reflected about the center object. My method would have resulted in hair pulling if there'd been more than a couple of p-solids to manipulate. Thanks again for the lesson!