Program Freezing & "searching for files"

ginamk

Hi,

I'm having an issue with X9 - anytime I open an item and try to change the material type, I get a pop-up box that says "searching for files" and it appears to be searching through my file folders, but it's on a continuous loop searching the same folder endlessly so the search message isn't going away and I have to force stop the program. I've tried opening different files to see if it was just happening with a possibly corrupt file, but it's happening with several different files so I don't think thats it. I called the help line and they are not familiar with the problem. They said I should try my luck here. 

Anyone have this problem?

Chief Architect.JPG

The library viewer is open on the side of the screen. As long as I don't try to select an item, it's fine. But once I try to select an item from the library, the "searching..." pop-up appears and its game over. 

It's not specific to textures, it seems to have to do with the library in general? 

It's happening 1 of 3 ways (that I've found so far): 

1. If I select, say, a wall, and try to open the properties for that wall and go to the materials tab and try to select a different material, it will freeze, then the pop-up will appear.

2. If I select, again, say a wall (or furniture, or whatever really), and try to select a material option from the open library panel, it will again freeze, then the pop-up will appear.

3. In a brand new plan, if I try to place a chair or appliance, once i highlight the item in the library, the pop-up appears. 

24 minutes ago, ginamk said:

It's not specific to textures, it seems to have to do with the library in general? 

It's happening 1 of 3 ways (that I've found so far): 

1. If I select, say, a wall, and try to open the properties for that wall and go to the materials tab and try to select a different material, it will freeze, then the pop-up will appear.

2. If I select, again, say a wall (or furniture, or whatever really), and try to select a material option from the open library panel, it will again freeze, then the pop-up will appear.

3. In a brand new plan, if I try to place a chair or appliance, once i highlight the item in the library, the pop-up appears. 

Perhaps a corrupt User Library or a Bad Symbol from Sketchup Warehouse or something? 

One way to test this would be to Rename the User Library File and re-Start Chief , Chief will make a new User_Library file automatically , so don't worry  and see if you can do normal things like place an Appliance without issues.

C:\Users\ (YOUR NAME)\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X9 Data\Database Libraries

The User Library in in your Chief Data Folder>Database Libraries Folder  (above) 

and is named User_Library.calib

With X9 CLOSED........right click the file > rename and make it   User_Library.calib.orig   and hit enter >Yes to warning about name change , then re-open Chief.

delete the new User_Library.calib file and Reverse the rename Operation above to put things back the way they were if needed.

image.thumb.png.771429469fe0d4f8cdcfce4390987710.png

image.thumb.png.dc21ba42f6d7e52c279a43217de7f1da.png

M.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Perhaps a corrupt User Library or a Bad Symbol from Sketchup Warehouse or something? 

One way to test this would be to Rename the User Library File and re-Start Chief , Chief will make a new User_Library file automatically , so don't worry  and see if you can do normal things like place an Appliance without issues.

C:\Users\ (YOUR NAME)\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X9 Data\Database Libraries

The User Library in in your Chief Data Folder>Database Libraries Folder  (above) 

and is named User_Library.calib

With X9 CLOSED........right click the file > rename and make it   User_Library.calib.orig   and hit enter >Yes to warning about name change , then re-open Chief.

delete the new User_Library.calib file and Reverse the rename Operation above to put things back the way they were if needed.

image.thumb.png.771429469fe0d4f8cdcfce4390987710.png

image.thumb.png.dc21ba42f6d7e52c279a43217de7f1da.png

M.

Ok, so I "kind-of" tried this.

My file name is just "User_Library", without the .calib. So I renamed it "User_Library.orig" (and did not get the warning message), then re-opened CA and the problem is still there. 

There's also a "User_Library - copy" file that I cannot delete or rename (I don't have admin access). Could it not have worked because of this copy file?

Capture.JPG

Just now, Kbird1 said:

The File is new and Empty due to the renaming above....

The file size didn't change when I renamed it. 

So where did everything go??

Now when I start up CA, it asks me if I want to download the core catalog, and I do, but it keeps asking every time I open the program... Is this what's causing the caching directory problem?

25 minutes ago, ginamk said:

Ok, so I "kind-of" tried this.

My file name is just "User_Library", without the .calib. So I renamed it "User_Library.orig" (and did not get the warning message), then re-opened CA and the problem is still there. 

There's also a "User_Library - copy" file that I cannot delete or rename (I don't have admin access). Could it not have worked because of this copy file?

Capture.JPG

You wont see the file extension if that option is not enabled in File Explorer , it's also why you don't see the .orig either. ( needs to be like in my pic.....box UN-checked

Make sure Chief is Closed when doing any of this ...it locks some Files in use

image.thumb.png.a781991be8390ab0cb5e74fb5fefdf30.png

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You wont see the file extension if that option is not enabled in File Explorer , it's also why you don't see the .orig either. ( needs to be like in my pic.....box UN-checked

Make sure Chief is Closed when doing any of this ...it locks some Files in use

image.thumb.png.a781991be8390ab0cb5e74fb5fefdf30.png

Right. So I can see the file extensions now. But will that make the difference? Should I try again? Or does there now appear to be another problem with the file size being 25kb?

- So you didn't have a User Library ? nothing in it ?  File size should of changed if you did....

- Your old Library will have the .orig extension and SHOULD NOT BE DELETED.....at least not yet......unless it was empty per above....

- Changing the User Library should not effect the Core Catalogs unless you have done something else as well , different files in a different location....

so there is nothing in the library now? , no bonus libraries , no Manufacturers Lib. etc? 

5 minutes ago, ginamk said:

Right. So I can see the file extensions now. But will that make the difference? Should I try again? Or does there now appear to be another problem with the file size being 25kb?

25kb is correct ...Here is mine , I just did it here to show you.....

Capture98.thumb.JPG.02e32d35b7329166c7ea0bcc520e55bc.JPG

Your old Library has .orig on the end , if it is 25kb too then it has nothing in it either.....

Which means you may have already deleted the File earlier somehow and it is in your Recycle Bin and will need to be restored.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

- So you didn't have a User Library ? nothing in it ?  File size should of changed if you did....

- Your old Library will have the .orig extension and SHOULD NOT BE DELETED.....at least not yet......unless it was empty per above....

- Changing the User Library should not effect the Core Catalogs unless you have done something else as well , different files in a different location....

so there is nothing in the library now? , no bonus libraries , no Manufacturers Lib. etc? 

I don't know. I've never looked through the program files before today! So this is what the folder currently contains (attached). But CA still shows the library browser on this side with everything there. But if the actual file is not there, maybe that's why I keep getting the pop-up that it's "searching for files"?

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

1 minute ago, ginamk said:

I don't know. I've never looked through the program files before today! So this is what the folder currently contains (attached). But CA still shows the library browser on this side with everything there. But if the actual file is not there, maybe that's why I keep getting the pop-up that it's "searching for files"?

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

I can see the User Library is empty in the Pic there is no > next to it meaning there are Folders inside.....

what I don't see is the file you said you renamed with .orig.  ..........  it maybe the "copy" though as I suspect you copied the File not renamed it? hence no error message you needed to answer Yes too.

best to check the Recycle Bin for a User_Library File file though......

M.

After showing the file extensions and again trying to rename the User_Library.calib file, I've now got the following items in the folder. 

I re-opened CA and still had the pop-up. What else was I supposed to do? 

Capture4.JPG

1 hour ago, ginamk said:

After showing the file extensions and again trying to rename the User_Library.calib file, I've now got the following items in the folder. 

I re-opened CA and still had the pop-up. What else was I supposed to do? 

Capture4.JPG

Did you have a User Library before?

Have you ever downloaded the Core Libraries?   ( it shouldn't ask again once it is done ) 

Something with the install may have gotta corrupted , what did Tech Support have you do?

In Preferences , you can see the Folders and File Chief Uses normally......

image.thumb.png.aeee6785fef13401ccf406e1d940c7ab.png 

3 hours ago, rlackore said:

This thread may help: 1hr and still going...

Scroll to the bottom for my reply and explanation of how to fix the problem.

PROBLEM SOLVED - Our (amazing) IT guy took a crack at it and used this solve and it appears to be working now with no more pop-up. THANKS everyone for your input :)