Designer and Client Information fields clearing

CARMELHILL

I examined the ini file for Chief.  There's no "Default Client Information".  However, there is a "Default Designer Information" so that's loaded on Startup and it's valid for both the Layout and the Plan.  Once a Layout or Plan has been saved, the current Information for both is saved with that file.  So, if you open a current plan and do a "Save As" to a new name both Designer and Client Info will be retained.

As Dermot said, only when a new Plan or Layout is created from Template will the Preferences be used.  In theory since there isn't any "Default Client Information" that should be retained if it's in the Template.  However, I think Chief just blanks that data.  For those who have separate templates for repeat clients it would be nice if Chief didn't blank the Client Info in those Templates.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Interesting. Did not know there was a field for designer info in preferences.

Not surprising, seeing as where they hid it  >>>> Under Text > Under Options ?    

I'd say that is superb GUI design...... :)  Why does it not have it's own Heading under General for example?

M.

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Not surprising, seeing as where they hid it  >>>> Under Text > Under Options ?    

I'd say that is superb GUI design...... :)  Why does it not have it's own Heading under General for example?

M.

I think GUI design is Chief's weakest link. Kinda like it was designed by software engineers instead of a GUI design expert.:)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I think GUI design is Chief's weakest link. Kinda like it was designed by software engineers instead of a GUI design expert.:)

Yes it makes me SMFH sometimes and I've used CA for over 15yrs.....

Better be careful though Larry , you know what happens around here when ya start "dissing CA"  :) 

M.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

- if you had reported this issue 3 years ago instead of just posting on the forum, you might not still be having this problem

I remember I found a work around back then. I think it was either , start with a fresh blank plan and create a new template for the new release (I might be wrong.), or I also noticed a difference if you resave the file as a new name....that's how I got to layout #90. Lately I've been only updating the same file and overwriting it, but this might also be the source of the problem. I've only RECENTLY started having this issue again. I assumed, probably wrong after Dermot's input, that it was because of an update. It appears more likely it's because I've used the same file for too many updates.

The economy is taking a crap, so this is when I usually update all our borders, estimation item costs, etc. So I'll have some down time soon to do a new fresh X14 template.

But seriously, EVERYONE, thank you.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

I remember I found a work around back then. I think it was either , start with a fresh blank plan and create a new template for the new release (I might be wrong.), or I also noticed a difference if you resave the file as a new name....that's how I got to layout #90. Lately I've been only updating the same file and overwriting it, but this might also be the source of the problem. I've only RECENTLY started having this issue again. I assumed, probably wrong after Dermot's input, that it was because of an update. It appears more likely it's because I've used the same file for too many updates.

The economy is taking a crap, so this is when I usually update all our borders, estimation item costs, etc. So I'll have some down time soon to do a new fresh X14 template.

But seriously, EVERYONE, thank you.

It's also important to remember that most technical issues start with a post to the forum to check the validity of any misbehavior before reporting to tech staff.

7 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

It's also important to remember that most technical issues start with a post to the forum to check the validity of any misbehavior before reporting to tech staff.

Very true and possibly an indication that there is another problem lurking that causes it to be true.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

You kids are killing me. Why not respond like an adult with a counterpoint or refute the claim? Don't you think its interesting enough to do so? Or wait, a simple down vote? Here's another chance to down vote a post but instead what are your (whoever you might be) thoughts about Chief's GUI? Curious.