Things we take for granted in Chief Architect.

Michael_Gia

47 minutes ago, Jonnoxx said:

... And the history books are littered with the procrastinators who left it too late.  Both Autocad and ProEngineer were handed their backside by the upstart SOLIDWORKS, and are now fighting a rearguard action to convince the market they still have relevance in the Mechanical CAD field.

I wonder if Chief risks a similar fate as many here have warned over the years? I personally don't think so as they are really good at staying focused on what they do best but time's an unforgiving master and the future is always full of surprises.

51 minutes ago, Jonnoxx said:

I think it would be helpful to see CA run a constantly visible and publicly updated list on this forum of the following (that any and everybody can contribute to):

1.  The TOP 10 New Features users would like to see (and yes, if some competitor has a better idea or way of doing stuff, then implement that too)

2.  The TOP10 Irritations that users would like fixed ASAP (these are not bugs - but design or ease-of-use flaws that annoy on a regular basis)

3.  The TOP 10 Bugs that need fixing like yesterday.

Every year's new release of CA should be based DIRECTLY on the above list.

Love the idea at first blush and this might be feasible if this forum represented the user base but alas it's only a small fraction and any top 10 list here would not represent a realistic top 10 and then Chief has to make business decisions based on everything BUT those top 10 lists and pretty much everyone is disappointed. Still love the idea but don't think it's really practical...

3 hours ago, BryceEngstrom said:

Chief can absolutely do large, complex, even commercial projects.  I am working on a 23,000 sq.ft. performing arts theatre complex and we are moving into design development and even coordinating heavily with an adjacent parking structure being done in Revit.  I have only ever briefly tried demo versions of Revit and Archicad and was never even remotely enticed to change.  When I sent my first set of design development PDF's over to this other firm for coordination, they looked at them and just assumed they were done in Revit.  We have swapped a few 3d DWG models back and forth, and that's been working fine for coordinatiion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19SrxsP1iHe4Me6I8OdcrH31Yldq6U1EH/view?usp=sharing

Impressive Bryce, nice to see Chief stretched beyond expectations...

• Like 1

Chief can absolutely do large, complex, even commercial projects.  I am working on a 23,000 sq.ft. performing arts theatre complex and we are moving into design development and even coordinating heavily with an adjacent parking structure being done in Revit.  I have only ever briefly tried demo versions of Revit and Archicad and was never even remotely enticed to change.  When I sent my first set of design development PDF's over to this other firm for coordination, they looked at them and just assumed they were done in Revit.  We have swapped a few 3d DWG models back and forth, and that's been working fine for coordinatiion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19SrxsP1iHe4Me6I8OdcrH31Yldq6U1EH/view?usp=sharing

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2019 at 2:36 PM, Jonnoxx said:

I think it would be helpful to see CA run a constantly visible and publicly updated list on this forum of the following (that any and everybody can contribute to):

1.  The TOP 10 New Features users would like to see (and yes, if some competitor has a better idea or way of doing stuff, then implement that too)

2.  The TOP10 Irritations that users would like fixed ASAP (these are not bugs - but design or ease-of-use flaws that annoy on a regular basis)

3.  The TOP 10 Bugs that need fixing like yesterday.

Correct. This would be a simple courtesy to their SSA customers, and allow them to gut-check their boardroom decisions with those who actually use the software every day. Seems like good business to me