Wall Alignment Across Room? Maybe I Have A Setting Wrong?

zowie123

Hey all,

I know there's got to be a better way.  I looked up a Scott Hall Vid on wall alignment and it looks like when he grabs a wall, a line shoots out from the main layer to extend across the model so you can see when you're aligning main layer across the room.  That doesn't happen when I grab a wall, does anyone know where the setting is for that? 

I use the cross hairs cursor, but cursor cross hairs don't don't align with anything in particular when you grab a wall. 

Thanks very much,

Barry

Thanks Michael,  I'm not trying to drag a wall next to another wall, but align a wall 3 rooms away with no common walls to dimension from.  That's where a line shooting across the plan would help.  Does that exist for anyone or does everyone draw a cad line and align to that?

I think Jim gave you the answer.

You should be able to use either Perpendicular Extension Snaps or Orthogonal Extension Snaps. 

Or you can draw the wall right across as 1 wall and then break it at the appropriate places - this way is usually more accurate as you are not trying to align things.

I think Jim gave you the answer.

You should be able to use either Perpendicular Extension Snaps or Orthogonal Extension Snaps. 

When trying to snap to something so far away you would need to "inference" that point or as I mentioned snap to it first AND THEN go back to the area you're working in to actually place the object (wall in this case). In order to have those extension lines show up when aligning a wall to a parallel wall you may have to use your center mouse wheel or the right button (IOW use a "move" handle).

When trying to snap to something so far away you would need to "inference" that point or as I mentioned snap to it first AND THEN go back to the area you're working in to actually place the object (wall in this case). 

I don't think that is true w/ walls.

I don't have to reference any other wall to get an extension line from any other wall.

Not on my PC, anyway.

I don't think that is true w/ walls.

I don't have to reference any other wall to get an extension line from any other wall.

Not on my PC, anyway.

Hmm...are you sure? Even 3 rooms over? I definitely have to. Extension lines will only show up for me automatically if no other walls are between the wall I'm editing and the wall I'm snapping to.

The extension won't reach thru a wall to get to another wall beyond, but the extension will reach past walls & rooms that are not in the way to get to another wall.

Gotcha. Yes, this is what I was trying to help solve. If you "inference" or "reference" the other wall by "snapping" to it before placing the object you can get the extension line to go THROUGH walls.

That's an entirely different situation than I was envisioning. Closing an open exterior wall "envelope" I imagine would have different results. Try drawing an abnormal shaped footprint with no common walls like the OP was talking about...divide it with several rooms and then try getting extensions to show several rooms over through the dividing walls.

My problem is with Drywall Installers who don't take the time to verify that framing is straight, plumb and true.  They then install the drywall without shimming, install corner beads out of plumb and mud over it without making sure that the line between corner beads on short walls is floated straight, not to mention the fact that they tend to build up over 1/8" of tape and mud at drywall joints in some cases.  I just inspected a job where a 42" wide x 96" tall wall was out of plumb -1/4" on the left edge and +1/2" on the right edge.  So badly warped that it has to be removed and redone.  This is about the 10th instance on this house that they had to correct.

Talk about walls being mis-aligned ................ :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks for all the answers!

From what I gather, if you want to align an interior wall to an exterior wall, you have to go in and change the default wall settings to align to interiors.  That's 6 clicks--should be available on the right click.  The reason it's easier sometimes than others depends on which wall alignment default you have set at the moment.  If you don't have the correct wall alignment set for the present condition (align main layer outside) you have to go in and change it, if you have the correct wall alignment set for the present condition (align main layer inside) it snaps life magic.