Printer/plotter Model Suggestions?

Ryan_CA

I have the HP T120 and like it a lot. I don't have a high demand,so it works well for me. If you have the demand, the HP T520 is faster. I don't know if the 520 is wi-fi, but The T120 is and I  love not being tethered to my plotter. I then got the 11 x 17 all-in one wi-fi and the officejet wi-fi.

be sure each color is a separate cart.

I gave up on having a wide format printer

a nice 13 x 19 model fit my office needs

for the clients prints I create a PDF and let them print them at the local shop

be sure to have a clause in your contract that if they print they

they found them acceptable

twice I sent DRAFTS to a client and the first time he dashed them to the printer

then then engineer marked them up and he complained about wasting $200+

second draft  I hand delivered and he tells the secretary to take to printers

I said NO, you need to review them first...

from then on I had that clause in the contract :(

Lew

• Upvote 2

I have an HP 500 C that the drive belt went out on.  A friend of mine sent me a video that shows in detail how to fix things on HP plotters.  The videos are made by a parts supplier where you can get the parts, tools and instructions on fixing your own plotter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhq1IBMiB84

Hopefully this link will get you to one of the videos.  Info on the supplier is near the end of the video if I remember correctly.

• Upvote 1

Brother makes a line of 11 x 17 printers. I have the "MFC-J67100W without any problems and WI-FI

I have the MFC-6490CW and two smaller models

everyone of them has crapped out on printing black

Brother sent refurb units and each of them has crapped out

I will no longer buy Brother printers :(

I do use the MFG-6490CW for doing scans only now

I donated the smaller ones to the local history dept for them to use as scanners

Lew

I've had the Brother MFC-6490-CW for 3-4 years now, works great for me in my small office.  I usually print in B/W but occasionally use the color, and find the print quality to be more than adequate for my needs.  My one and only gripe would be that it's a total pain to print envelopes.

I had one issue requiring tech support and they couldn't have been more awesome.  It even sounded like English was their first language :-)

I have been using the Brother MFC-J6920DW  for about 6 months. Superior on ink usage to the HP all in one models I had in the past. The things I really love about it are the 11x17 scan bed and that it has 2 paper trays so I can keep both 8.5x11 and 11x17 paper on board all the time. The 11x17 scan bed is great as I use 11x17 paper for as built field notes and so I can scan and import easily.

Brother makes a line of 11 x 17 printers. I have the "MFC-J67100W without any problems and WI-FI

I have the MFC-6490CW and two smaller models

everyone of them has crapped out on printing black

Brother sent refurb units and each of them has crapped out

I will no longer buy Brother printers :(

I do use the MFG-6490CW for doing scans only now

I donated the smaller ones to the local history dept for them to use as scanners

Lew

Lew, maybe you just need to read the manual. Every printer won't last forever, they all do it.

Larry:

I had an HP 9800 and first time I had to change the color cart it wouldn't recognize it

I checked the internet and it was a known issue

I used it for B/W prints for awhile then bought a Canon Pro 9000

which I still have but haven't used in years

I gave the HP to my partner and he uses it for B/W

I bought an HP 8050 back in 2008 but have never used it

I recently couldn't find the power cord so just bought a new one

now I need to hook it up and use it for my occasional color prints

In 2007 I bought an HP deskjet 110 Plus and never used it

so last year I donated it to the local history dept

I now have a Canon LaserJet for doing B/W

I have never been a high user of printers so when they crap out

after "minimal" usage it is annoying

glad to hear your HP 9800 has treated you well

Lew

Lew........Yes I use mine a lot in both B&W and color. I also do quite a few pictures. Other than the cost of the ink I have no complaints (knock on wood). I have been giving some thought to upgrading to a printer/plotter that can do 24x36 prints.  I haven't been very serious yet in that department-----maybe by the end of the year. Color prints "kill me" (well my wallet that is) at the print shop.

Larry:

I never used my HP 110 Plus as I decided to let the clients

do their own printing

it was 42" wide and my office was a mess when I bought it

by the time I re-organized the office I was no longer in the print business

then 2008 business decline along with health decline and I never even plugged it in

Lew

• 3 months later...

I am interested in the entry level models of HP and Cannon (24" print).  The Cannon is a few hundred dollars more.  Are there companies that have entry level models that you know off the top of your head? 

And as a side note....I guess that I have to accept that printers will cease to function at some point....that's just the breaks...Interestingly enough, Office Depot is offering a "protection plan" that says if anything breaks at the end of the protection plan, you can bring it in and they'll give you credit towards the same or another printer.  After my HP died with what I would consider minimum usage, I believe spending the extra $40 or so more dollars would be worth it.  I'm not sure that it applies to the HP T120 (and they don't carry the entry level Cannon on their website), but I'm calling to find out....can anyone give out some info that I should consider before making the leap?  Thanks for your attention.

I bought an HP 110 Plus for $950 in 2006

then never even plugged it in

I decided that I didn't want to be in the print business

and gave the clients PDF's for them to take to print shop

much easier that way

In 2011 I donated the unused printer to the local history dept

Lew

• 2 years later...
On 9/19/2014 at 0:59 PM, lbuttery said:

be sure each color is a separate cart.

I gave up on having a wide format printer

a nice 13 x 19 model fit my office needs

for the clients prints I create a PDF and let them print them at the local shop

be sure to have a clause in your contract that if they print they

they found them acceptable

twice I sent DRAFTS to a client and the first time he dashed them to the printer

then then engineer marked them up and he complained about wasting $200+

second draft  I hand delivered and he tells the secretary to take to printers

I said NO, you need to review them first...

from then on I had that clause in the contract :(

Lew

Lew,

I, too, have the Printing clause in my contract but I would still like to have an "ALL IN ONE 13 x 19 Printer" in my Home Office. All brand and model recommendations appreciated. The New HP 7740 looks nice, until I read a review from a Revit user that could not get it to work without streaks. My wife would like it to support Mobil devise printing too. I know this is a pretty big wish list but my main concern is quality Color Printing with Chief Architect.

Thanks,