file management

EconBlueprints

I have a plan and an associated layout.  I want to make the plan my default template, and the layout my default layout.  This plan has all of the notes, details, specifications, sections and the like that the building departments here in New York want. 

After I have them saved, my idea is to edit the plan file and remove all of the floors, elevations etc, leaving only the notes and cad details associated with the plan. The layout should update to remove all of the plan files when I remove the floors elevations etc. from the plan, correct?

I do not want the new template plan or layout to be associated with the parent plan or layout in any way.  I want to be able to open the template, save it as a new plan and then start working.  Same for the layout.

So, if I do a "save as template" for both the plan and the layout, then set them as the default for new plans and layouts will this do the trick, or is there a better way (with chief it seems there is always a better way, and I usually learn by doing all the wrong way first).

Then, I want to do the same thing for another template plan and layout that is specific to New York City and the five boroughs.   I am sure I can really mess this up.

Thanks,
Lane

1 hour ago, EconBlueprints said:

So, if I do a "save as template" for both the plan and the layout, then set them as the default for new plans and layouts will this do the trick...

That should indeed do the trick, unless you want a specific template for each borough in which case you would save them as templates, named accordingly and not necessarily use them your default.

Didn't work.

The new template, with a new name keeps linking to the original file.
So how does Chief allow you to create a plan and a layout, then save it as a new plan and layout so the new plan and layout (with a different name of course) reference each other instead of the layout always referencing the original plan.

So now, I have to go through each item on every layout page that was sent in from the plan file and re link it to the new file.  With twenty plus pages for each layout, that is an incredibly time consuming process.
I can remember complaining about file management back in 1998 or thereabouts, and apparently I never understood how to do it or Chief's file management, in a word, sucks. Ihope its me.
This is worse than my two divorces....at least with them when it was over, it was over.  Apparently Chief never allows you to leave your past behind you. 

23 minutes ago, EconBlueprints said:

Didn't work.

So how does Chief allow you to create a plan and a layout, then save it as a new plan and layout so the new plan and layout (with a different name of course) reference each other instead of the layout always referencing the original plan.

So now, I have to go through each item on every layout page that was sent in from the plan file and re link it to the new file.  With twenty plus pages for each layout, that is an incredibly time consuming process.
I can remember complaining about file management back in 1998 or thereabouts, and apparently I never understood how to do it or Chief's file management, in a word, sucks. Ihope its me.
This is worse than my two divorces....at least with them when it was over, it was over.  Apparently Chief never allows you to leave your past behind you. 

Send me an email or call or text me at 832-754-6160 and I'll be happy to show you how I approach this. I think I understand what you want to do. I'll do an online meeting with you if interested.

Didn't work.