Laptop vs desktop

BigKahuna

Ok I have an  Alienware 17, Intel I7  2.6 GHz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX980M Video card. Its a gaming laptop and I bought it assuming it would more than handle Chief. Its fine when I first start a project but when model gets landscaping and some furniture  etc  every command takes 2-5 seconds then same for model regeneration etc. This has become very frustrating. Also having lately an issue with plan locking up after closing camera views. Started a few months back in X10 and I thought X11 would fix it but seeing same issue ( also noted in another thread someone else is having same issue). Many of the models I use are imported from 3D warehouse. Are these models more of an issue slowing computer than those in Chief's library?

I know a desktop usually gives you more computing power for the money than a laptop but is there any benefits to a desktop vs laptop? Am I unusual with this speed issue? I assume heat issue might be better with desktop since its not as compact / tight. Not sure if its simply a RAM issue ?

I did just upgrade the GeForce driver as I saw some other suggest making sure its current on another thread.  Just debating whether to buy desktop and get more ram etc would be a better fit and use laptop more for presentations / meetings etc

Thoughts?  Thanks for any imput

As a model's complexity grows and many times with plants, especially 3D plants and some furniture with many surfaces Chief can/will slow down even with a very fast system. You can throw money at the issue by buying the fastest desk top you can afford but keep your speed improvement expectations low as Chief just plain slows down with larger models. There are a couple tricks like closing your 3D views while working on your plan but I have a couple plans that takes 2 - 5 seconds between commands and I upgraded to the fastest Xeons available for my (admittedly aging) system and the fastest video card available at the time with zero improvement in speed. It's probably a basic computer architecture issue here but again don't expect blazing speed on larger models.

Beyond frustrating but if your models get large and you have a lot of complex symbols and/or plants Chief will slow down and the only fix is to drop some cash on the fastest system you can afford.

I have seen some videos of folks look like they are working real time with systems that seem to pretty fast but tread carefully, do a lot of research before you pull the trigger on a newer system. Lots of threads regarding same here on the forum.

Yes SU models can be an issue- depends on surface count, some but less on textures. Recently I've noticed from working with plans posted on the forum that have lots of layersets and anno sets (I mean lots) that those are slower than others. PDF inserted into plans also make a difference. Multiple views open, renderings, just plain larger files all have an impact. I also notice that to close and reopen occasionally can help. That said...

Laptop versus desktop-the Sager laptop in my signature still holds it's own and I frequently work with- lots of windows open, files with lots of symbols, and multiple files open. I do keep everything as tidy as possible though.

The Sager is 8-1/2 lbs. When I travel with it (and I do) I take the power brick. I don't know the weight but eventually invested in a top end backpack for the whole shebang. It has a desktop CPU faster than what you have, my 980m has 8Gb memory (you don't list that but it matters), having two NVMe SSDS in Raid 0 appears to help with undo (benchmark is crazy on that), and the machine has excellent cooling. For heat it also lets me bump the fans to full throttle with a keyboard, something I do often just in case.

You can run a freeware program like HW Monitor to keep an eye on temps and component temps-I do when I know I'll be behaving badly. If you're machine doesn't have a way to bump the fan there is software out there for that but it gets tricky what machines they work with.

So if you are willing to haul the weight there are laptops that can keep up. I've recently been looking into my next machine. A change in workflow and the thought that I can run the Sager part time on the road for a few years got me to consider desktops. Configuring both hi-end laptops and hi-end desktops with very similar specs I was surprised to see how little the cost difference is. Zip if you include a decent keyboard and monitor (I'll need a new monitor so I can still have 3 and likely get a keyboard)

For me the choice starts to be simplicity of heat control and ability to upgrade. The Sager can be upgraded but it turns out it's not all that cost effective or practical. A desktop will be a bit better.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

As a model's complexity grows and many times with plants, especially 3D plants and some furniture with many surfaces Chief can/will slow down even with a very fast system. You can throw money at the issue by buying the fastest desk top you can afford but keep your speed improvement expectations low as Chief just plain slows down with larger models. There are a couple tricks like closing your 3D views while working on your plan but I have a couple plans that takes 2 - 5 seconds between commands and I upgraded to the fastest Xeons available for my (admittedly aging) system and the fastest video card available at the time with zero improvement in speed. It's probably a basic computer architecture issue here but again don't expect blazing speed on larger models.

Beyond frustrating but if your models get large and you have a lot of complex symbols and/or plants Chief will slow down and the only fix is to drop some cash on the fastest system you can afford.

I have seen some videos of folks look like they are working real time with systems that seem to pretty fast but tread carefully, do a lot of research before you pull the trigger on a newer system. Lots of threads regarding same here on the forum.

Thanks Larry, I was afraid that was the issue with plants etc and models. I usually do most of that after the main house is done to reduce lag time.  just wasn't sure if I was unusual with this problem or if having 32GB vs 16GB of Ram was a dramatic imrovement as the program gets more complex.

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Yes SU models can be an issue- depends on surface count, some but less on textures. Recently I've noticed from working with plans posted on the forum that have lots of layersets and anno sets (I mean lots) that those are slower than others. PDF inserted into plans also make a difference. Multiple views open, renderings, just plain larger files all have an impact. I also notice that to close and reopen occasionally can help. That said...

Laptop versus desktop-the Sager laptop in my signature still holds it's own and I frequently work with- lots of windows open, files with lots of symbols, and multiple files open. I do keep everything as tidy as possible though.

The Sager is 8-1/2 lbs. When I travel with it (and I do) I take the power brick. I don't know the weight but eventually invested in a top end backpack for the whole shebang. It has a desktop CPU faster than what you have, my 980m has 8Gb memory (you don't list that but it matters), having two NVMe SSDS in Raid 0 appears to help with undo (benchmark is crazy on that), and the machine has excellent cooling. For heat it also lets me bump the fans to full throttle with a keyboard, something I do often just in case.

You can run a freeware program like HW Monitor to keep an eye on temps and component temps-I do when I know I'll be behaving badly. If you're machine doesn't have a way to bump the fan there is software out there for that but it gets tricky what machines they work with.

So if you are willing to haul the weight there are laptops that can keep up. I've recently been looking into my next machine. A change in workflow and the thought that I can run the Sager part time on the road for a few years got me to consider desktops. Configuring both hi-end laptops and hi-end desktops with very similar specs I was surprised to see how little the cost difference is. Zip if you include a decent keyboard and monitor (I'll need a new monitor so I can still have 3 and likely get a keyboard)

For me the choice starts to be simplicity of heat control and ability to upgrade. The Sager can be upgraded but it turns out it's not all that cost effective or practical. A desktop will be a bit better.

Thanks Mark,  I had a hunch the SU models were a bit larger as that's when I seem to notice the biggest slowdown. But I also tend to add a lot of plants on models as I use them for presentation with client not CD's. I have the 17" alienware so I can relate to size and weight...That's never been my issue as its no big deal to carry in bag. Heat hasn't seemed bad either..I am only frustrated by the slowing of the program on these projects.

I avoid SU models but when I must I test them in a new plan and if needed run through a mesh reduction program. (bit of voodoo that though) 

Ram won't help- higher single processor speed, more GPU memory unless you are already up to 8

55 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Thanks Mark,  I had a hunch the SU models were a bit larger as that's when I seem to notice the biggest slowdown. But I also tend to add a lot of plants on models as I use them for presentation with client not CD's. I have the 17" alienware so I can relate to size and weight...That's never been my issue as its no big deal to carry in bag. Heat hasn't seemed bad either..I am only frustrated by the slowing of the program on these projects.

Perhaps use one plan for CDs ,  and use a Save As Version for Client presentations with all the plants and other stuff needed , so you don't need to "work" in it everyday.

many SU models are done by Students and tend to be very high polygon count , so keep an eye on that too and anything with alot of curves will slow Chief down too, an example of that was a Multi Family someone posted on the Forum with a similar issue , the solution was to swap out the 30+ round vanity sinks for rectangular ones.

I was having issues in X10 and X11 due to certain Windows 10 Updates , I un-installed them and did a repair install of Win10 with the latest .iso from Microsoft and all has been good the last two weeks...

M.

51 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Perhaps use one plan for CDs ,  and use a Save As Version for Client presentations with all the plants and other stuff needed , so you don't need to "work" in it everyday.

many SU models are done by Students and tend to be very high polygon count , so keep an eye on that too and anything with alot of curves will slow Chief down too, an example of that was a Multi Family someone posted on the Forum with a similar issue , the solution was to swap out the 30+ round vanity sinks for rectangular ones.

I was having issues in X10 and X11 due to certain Windows 10 Updates , I un-installed them and did a repair install of Win10 with the latest .iso from Microsoft and all has been good the last two weeks...

M.

Mick  When you refer to undoing windows updates  I assume you are referring to the locking up ?  I intend on checking with tech support soon but have yet to do so. Maybe they can give some insight. As I noted it hadn't always happened I seem to have notice it starting maybe 2-3 months ago. Im not an every day user and do my CDs in Autocadd. If I was doing cds I would most definitely do 2 different  models without all the extra stuff. I just cant get comfortable with Chief for CDs. I may try it on my own home in the next year as a test.  Thanks for the tip on windows

17 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Mick  When you refer to undoing windows updates  I assume you are referring to the locking up ?

No,  actually to the slow downs , they were getting worse and worse , then I noticed it was X10 as well as X11 , so I looked elsewhere for the issue. I had read some ( not Chief Users) where having issues last month after installing certain KBs , so in the end I tried uninstalling last month's Cumulative Update too.