HOW TO COPY STAIRCASE FROM ONE FLOOR TO ANOTHER

Michael_Gia

Ok I'm sure I've done this a million times without an issue but, when I copy a staircase form one floor and then paste it (paste in place) on another floor, the staircase gets pasted with the same "bottom/top" height as the original staircase.

Effectively, I get a stair case that shows up on the floor plan as visible on the desired target floor but in 3d the staircase is simply duplicated on the origin floor.

I have to open the copied staircase dialogue box and adjust the bottom and top heights so it displays in 3d at the proper level.

Is there some trick to paste a staircase from one floor to another like we do with every other element drawn in Chief?

Or has this always been the case?

Not sure what you're after, but; I wonder what would happen (if this is what you're trying to achieve) if you do a copy and paste in place then use the transform -replicate tool, and in the "X" axis move it up the distance from the lower floor to the height of the finished floor above? Is that what you are trying to do? 

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

Effectively, I get a stair case that shows up on the floor plan as visible on the desired target floor but in 3d the staircase is simply duplicated on the origin floor.

I have to open the copied staircase dialogue box and adjust the bottom and top heights so it displays in 3d at the proper level.

What are you trying to achieve by doing this?  Do you just want to copy a stair that goes from, say, Floor 1 to Floor 2 so that your copy then goes from Floor 2 to Floor 3?  I don't get what "visible on the desired target floor" means.  The way to make it visible from Floor 2 is to have an Open Below space on Floor 2.

If your stair has Automatic Heights turned off, then you will see this behavior.  The stair heights are absolute heights and not relative to the floor.  You will either need to turn Automatic Heights back on or adjust your stair heights for the floor you are on.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BryceEngstrom said:

What are you trying to achieve by doing this?  Do you just want to copy a stair that goes from, say, Floor 1 to Floor 2 so that your copy then goes from Floor 2 to Floor 3?  I don't get what "visible on the desired target floor" means.  The way to make it visible from Floor 2 is to have an Open Below space on Floor 2.

Yes, this is what I’m trying to do. 

Copy staircase on floor one and then paste it on floor 2. 

Transform replicate will move it up to floor 2 in plan view but not in 3D. 

2 minutes ago, Dermot said:

If your stair has Automatic Heights turned off, then you will see this behavior.  The stair heights are absolute heights and not relative to the floor.  You will either need to turn Automatic Heights back on or adjust your stair heights for the floor you are on.

Ok, that was my problem. I always have automatic heights turned off. 

Thanks!