Ray Trace has localized white specs - image attached

Lauren9

1 hour ago, Lauren9 said:

This ray trace had 34 passes. Previous ray traces had this issue as well. I tried changing the sconce glass from antique to seeded. Any thoughts?

Front elevation Ray Trace 34.jpg

looks like your front door glass has a normal or bump map applied to it

It's an inherent issue with CA's Ray Trace engine. Those bright white speckles occur when light/reflections pass through more than one semi-transparent/transparent material. They have been nicknamed "Fireflies", search the forum for Ray Trace Fireflies and you should find some considerable discussion concerning this. If you have those lantern lights turned on then try turning them off. If you look closely at the door you can see the same issue, I believe you have a ceiling fixture just inside turned on, the light is trying to pass through the light fixture glass and then through the doors glass. As glass has a reflective property it's bouncing the light back and forth between the glass, CA's Ray Trace engine can only compute 5 bounces and then it quits and then just fills in the missing pixels.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

It's an inherent issue with CA's Ray Trace engine. Those bright white speckles occur when light/reflections pass through more than one semi-transparent/transparent material. They have been nicknamed "Fireflies", search the forum for Ray Trace Fireflies and you should find some considerable discussion concerning this. If you have those lantern lights turned on then try turning them off. If you look closely at the door you can see the same issue, I believe you have a ceiling fixture just inside turned on, the light is trying to pass through the light fixture glass and then through the doors glass. As glass has a reflective property it's bouncing the light back and forth between the glass, CA's Ray Trace engine can only compute 5 bounces and then it quits and then just fills in the missing pixels.

THANK YOU!

27 minutes ago, Lauren9 said:

I have localized it to only happening when I increase the size of the Alighieri Wall Sconce from 15" to 25"

In respect to this. The reason things are changing when you resize the fixture is due to the fact that when resizing the fixture the position of the light source does not change according to your fixture size change, it remains in the same position as it was prior to your resize. This means that the light source may end up in the wrong position and then those fireflies can occur. Before resizing a fixture check the light data settings to see the light source offsets, then after resizing the fixture go back to the light data and reposition the light source by adjusting it's offsets.