x11 crashing too much

Gawdzira

Maybe it is my workflow? Maybe?

I am getting crashes with x11. I will work for a while, leave my computer and x11 on for hours, maybe into the next day. I go to open up a tab and "blink", it is gone. No freeze up. It just vanishes. Is anyone else getting this quick (undesired) exits?

My signature is (edit, was) out of date. I am running an Alienware desktop. This Alienware has been a dog and currently has a problem with the fans. I had to dial back the fans to a constant as they started running on overdrive. So It could be a hardware issue but I was not getting this crashing behavior with x10 with the same hardware.

Is there any way to tell if Chief is crashing, or if your computer is crashing? I once had a power supply that was going bad and it wreaked all kinds of havoc but tracking down hardware problems like that can be an expensive crap shoot. I got lucky and I think there were indications it was the computer and not Chief but can't remember what those indicators were.

...and fans running on overdrive? Could be a heat problem which will cause the computer to just blink out if it gets too hot. Re-seat CPU cooler? Make sure it's working properly? Get some diagnostic software and check temps? Chief has been incredibly stable and I'm thinking a hardware problem but no easy task tracking that down.

I would exercise caution in dialing back your fan speed unless you are really certain your CPU and GPU temps are still ok. Running too hot can induce instability or a complete system shutdown. Typically the GPU fans will be the most noisy and will crank up and down according to the GPU load, mine does this all the time. Suggest downloading GPU-Z so you can monitor this to make sure your GPU is not overheating. Would also check your sleep/hibernate settings and also your Windows update settings. If Windows does an update during idle hours it does not always restore everything back to it's original state.

16 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

I go to open up a tab and "blink", it is gone. No freeze up. It just vanishes. Is anyone else getting this quick (undesired) exits?

Yes unfortunately , about a week or so ago , lost some work too as it seemed the Layout is not saved regularly along with the .Plan file even though I Autosave on 5 Mins and auto archive every hour.  I was making some custom Moldings and had just finished adding them to the library when it just "blinked" and disappeared. Most of my Crashes seem related to the Library somehow.

Can't say for sure I left my computer on overnight or not but it is possible, though typically I shut it down each night just for this reason  ( ie Chief acting weird sometimes if you don't).

CPU Fan or Fans on VideoCard running fullspeed?  both are worth looking at.....install HWInfo64 at a minimum and check out those Temps.  VideoCard Fans running at 100% is usually a sign the Card needs to be RMA'd, at least that is the advice on the EVGA Forums for that issue.

M.