New Computer advice

RL-inc

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just an FYI I have on many occasions run a 24 hour render in Thea which uses all CPU cores and the gfx card. Thats 22 cores @ 100% and gfx at 100% for 24 straight hours. I had to modify my cases fan layouts...120mm fans always work best(noise/performance/longevity) 

There is no doubt that for the specific type of work you are doing there is a significant benefit in your system configuration approach. My comments concerning hardware cost/performance benefits are based primarily upon CA only. From my exploration of this so far if I exclude CA Ray Tracing and extensively lit CA PBR's I'm just not really seeing CA being overly demanding.

I'm running a plan right now that's 112mb with 2 million textures without any problems at all. The only thing that lags a bit is the undo/redo, takes 7 seconds. I set up a 3GB ram disk and set my CA undo file folder to it, can't tell the difference. It's being used as I can see the files being created in the ram disk. When I monitor my system during the undo process all of the time is CPU related as it rebuilds the model.

17 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I'm running a plan right now that's 112mb with 2 million textures without any problems at all.

Completely agree...and to be clear...clock speeds make next to no difference in my experience in CA.

also about the  RAMdisk...I see great improvement in holding my libraries in RAM...makes me giggle. 

25 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

up a 3GB ram disk and set my CA undo file folder to it, can't tell the difference.

and to be clear about my setup, I installed CA onto my RAMdisk..I don't know which part of this setup is making it fast exactly, but I can tell you that me desktop was by and far much faster in CA than the surface book 2 I have listed in my sig..same as the old ASUS laptop I have..it flies

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

and to be clear about my setup, I installed CA onto my RAMdisk..I don't know which part of this setup is making it fast exactly, but I can tell you that me desktop was by and far much faster in CA than the surface book 2 I have listed in my sig

That would be something very interesting if you could hunt it down. Do you have CA also installed in a ramdisk on your other systems?

13 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

That would be something very interesting if you could hunt it down. Do you have CA also installed in a ramdisk on your other systems?

yes...it would be great to have a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes of CA. Why certain actions cause lag, why a PDF sent to plan and then that plan sent to layout makes layout almost un-manageable...vs just sending the pdf to layout. Why the system lags with certain camera views open while editing in .plan. 

Our solution is the only solution that seems viable...throw better hardware at it..which hardware?...all hardware

I only have my user library in RAM because I don't have enough space for the manu's and bonus ...the difference is very apparent, especially on high poly count items in preview.

I have seen a big improvement using my new computer.  I don’t know what Chief uses but I have been having fun doing ray trace renders... in the past I never had the time to do them.

I just did a ray trace in my other CAD and it was done in just a few seconds.

I opened a large plan along with the layout that I had been working on with my old computer and noticed immediately no lag time when making changes.

The computer was just a smidge north of $3k.  No assembly needed!

And I would like to thank the guys on here for their great advice when I was shopping...

Thanks for all of the info- I actually had the guy I am working with come to my office and play around with CA and I believe we have settled on a machine- specs below- any final input appreciated.

Here the best configuration I could find, incl. 5-year warranty. TOTAL:  $2,194.30

It has 32GB compared to 16GB KBird linked to. And the graphics card is 2080 instead of 2070. But the fast hard drive is only 256GB vs 512GB.

You'd have 200GB of free space and 1000GB of slower disk space.

I think the memory and the higher spec GTX graphics card is more important. 

If we go for the top . . . 

Dell Outlet Alienware Aurora R8 Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Unit Price

$1,908.00

Certified Refurbished

3E476

Intel Core 9th Generation i7-9700K Processor (8 Core, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz on all cores, 12MB Cache, 95W)

51P2M

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 OC 8GB GDDR6

62MKG

850 Watt Chassis with Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply without Optical Drive

PGRHY

1TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

PJ5T4

256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive

T0NM8

32GB (2X16GB) 2666MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC

VVMR1

Dell Wireless Card (802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1)

YJ5C8

25 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

Thanks for all of the info- I actually had the guy I am working with come to my office and play around with CA and I believe we have settled on a machine- specs below- any final input appreciated.

Here the best configuration I could find, incl. 5-year warranty. TOTAL:  $2,194.30

It has 32GB compared to 16GB KBird linked to. And the graphics card is 2080 instead of 2070. But the fast hard drive is only 256GB vs 512GB.

You'd have 200GB of free space and 1000GB of slower disk space.

I think the memory and the higher spec GTX graphics card is more important. 

If we go for the top . . . 

Dell Outlet Alienware Aurora R8 Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Unit Price

$1,908.00

Certified Refurbished

3E476

Intel Core 9th Generation i7-9700K Processor (8 Core, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz on all cores, 12MB Cache, 95W)

51P2M

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 OC 8GB GDDR6

62MKG

850 Watt Chassis with Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply without Optical Drive

PGRHY

1TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

PJ5T4

256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive

T0NM8

32GB (2X16GB) 2666MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC

VVMR1

Dell Wireless Card (802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1)

YJ5C8

I didn't bump the Specs as I thought you were trying to stay around $1800 now.....

Looks good though but double check as I thought the 512GB NVME ( vs 256) was a bonus add-on when I looked last night? ie free upgrade.

*** do you need a wifi anf BT in a desktop?  itt's not a fast one as it is only 1X1 not 2x2  if the Router/modem is in the same Room it will be faster with a Ethernet Cable. If it is a not cost add on don't worry about it as it will be part of the MB.

M.

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

optane ($40-70) is a cache for your slow spinning hard drive(7200 HDD). In laymans terms it will make it function closer to speeds of an SSD drive

I did a bit of research on this and one piece of information I found was this...

"What about combination systems, which use an SSD as a primary “OS” drive and a larger hard drive for more dense file storage? Sorry, no. Optane’s caching system only works with the primary OS drive, and even then, only the primary partition. You can install Optane memory in a desktop that uses both SSD and hard drive storage, but it won’t improve the speed of the secondary storage drive at all. Your money would be better spent on more RAM or a larger initial SSD if you’re building from scratch."

That was from an article written back in 2017.  Is that no longer true?

We had one around these parts a number of years ago.  I pulled up behind it one day and the back end looked like one solid racing slick.  Could barely make out the little differential between the 2 tires.  One of the most de-moralizing little sleepers ever. 

59 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I did a bit of research on this and one piece of information I found was this...

"What about combination systems, which use an SSD as a primary “OS” drive and a larger hard drive for more dense file storage? Sorry, no. Optane’s caching system only works with the primary OS drive, and even then, only the primary partition. You can install Optane memory in a desktop that uses both SSD and hard drive storage, but it won’t improve the speed of the secondary storage drive at all. Your money would be better spent on more RAM or a larger initial SSD if you’re building from scratch."

That was from an article written back in 2017.  Is that no longer true?

https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-optane-memory-tested-with-secondary-hard-drive_205254/4

check the last page of that article...to answer your question, yes this is a newly added feature of the optane implementation

Don't know if this was mentioned but one of the main reasons

I prefer to build my own rigs is that you can install only the

applications you want. You don't get a machine with all kinds

of bloatware eating up your resources before you even start.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Don't know if this was mentioned but one of the main reasons

I prefer to build my own rigs is that you can install only the

applications you want. You don't get a machine with all kinds

of bloatware eating up your resources before you even start.

Totally good point Rich.  Cleaning up bloatware and disabling various resource hogs is one of the very first things I always do and it can be pretty time consuming.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on my new rig.

Arrived last Friday and installed Monday- SO far very happy .

Total for unit was just over 1800.00

Thank you all very much for the information - Markus , the guy that ordered and installed found your comments very helpful.