Help with Stairs

FrozeDesignBuild

2 hours ago, FrozeDesignBuild said:

Hello,  I am trying to recreate the stairs in the photo, in the attached plan. I'm struggling to get the railings to terminate on the end of the wall.  I tried splitting the stairs into two parts but can't figure out how to get the railing to do what I want.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Denise

X10 User

Stairs Am..JPG

Amhaus_-_Copy.plan

Two parts has been the normal way to do these.....but you can't let them join to each other...just overlay them .....in this case your doorway is causing issues too.... so I removed it and use a Soffit instead for the Header.

***apparently you aren't using X11 FB , so sorry the plan is no use to you.......please do you Forum signature so we know for next time, what version you are on, thx.  ( I missed in the OP you have X10 sorry)

M.

image.thumb.png.44473c156b197101b59cefcab208fd38.pngimage.thumb.png.ad2b987159dd681876fdc52e819ed103.png

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

So, is this the accepted method to accomplish this now?

Or, what Joe said above, “X11 Railing Wall Follows Stairs”?

Which, by the way, I have no clue what he means...

Great video! 

I don’t think the “rail follows wall” will give you stair treads.  I think you get a wall with cap and a balustrade on top of the wall.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I don’t think the “rail follows wall” will give you stair treads.  I think you get a wall with cap and a balustrade on top of the wall.  

That was my understanding too from watching the "what's new video" .....  this is a different scenario

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

So, is this the accepted method to accomplish this now?

There are two methods using two (or more Staircases) , it's how I do it too , I make a few copies of the staircase and then overlap them at the wall or just past it , eg 1/2 tread. The lower stairscase is wider so the handrails butt into the walls and the upper Staircase fits between the walls. Don't let the two staircase join though , they must remain sperate entities. In this case Steve's stacked "slices" way may work better , as there is a Doorway getting interfered with on  the lefthand side too, which i deleted and replaced with a Solid or Soffit as the door Jamb didn't like my 1st Flight cutting through it.

image.thumb.png.10a74eb8ed392ede17965c04ec05bcb5.pngimage.thumb.png.c7e76a11a5cef33f7ab3a1619fa4854e.png

This is a great workaround to placing the railing where you want it.  For example, I recently had a very wide staircase that needed a railing in the center and one on each side.  Three railings.  I did it with two staircase tools, but Steve adding a really skinny staircase to the outside of the railing.... genius!  Well done. 

2 hours ago, FrozeDesignBuild said:

I was trying to do it the way Mick suggested but they were touching so I think that was the problem.

The touching is not an issue , in my plan they are actually overlapped....the issue with your plan was that you had let the two Stair segments "join" as evidenced by the fact both segments are in the same DBX when you open them...this means you cannot control each section independently of the other, which is needed/helpful in most cases, eg the bottom set is wider etc.

TheWinder technique has never worked well for me in this situation , so I have been using the 2 staircase method for a number of years now...

2 minutes ago, FrozeDesignBuild said:

Yes, they joined automatically when I placed them next to each other.  Is overlapping the trick to keeping them from auto-joining?

They will join if "identical" AFAIK , so if you change the lower section to say 44" wide and the upper is 39" then it should stop it, which is how this one was done, it depends on where you need the "notch at the wall, eg mid-tread etc but the Overlap works too, this maybe another case where CA is a little too smart for our good :)  ie it tries to join them even when we don't want that.... the solution there is to make each each staircase 1 step longer , ie the lower 1 step higher and the upper 1 step lower , so you have a full 1 tread overlap , then they won't join as the heights and widths are different.

M.

2 minutes ago, FrozeDesignBuild said:

Putting this all in my mental file cabinet, and probably a bookmark to this page too.  Thanks for your time and advice Mick!

No Problem , so you don't have X11 right ? otherwise you could look at the Plan.....

*** to fill in your Signature like this .... go up to the top RH Corner above and click on your UserName> Account Settings> Signature.... and enable Signature (will Turn Green) then add your Hardware Details and Chief Software Version, as different Version require different Answers.