Trusses Not Framing From Exterior to Exterior Wall

misterwiley

I'm having issue with the top floor of this house's roof. It is a simple 4/12 gable over a rectangle. The 2 roof planes seem to be setup fine and no matter how I change the structure of the roof I can't get the roof trusses to build from one eve wall to the other through the ridge line. They seem to be snapping to the ridge or to interior walls. See attached picture. Would anyone know why something like this might be happening with trusses on this upper roof?

Thanks for any help, you guys are all so awesome!

Gable Truss Issue.jpg

1311_Hamburg_Rd_-_Pricing_Set(temp).zip

I got a couple to work too but if I select the couple that did work and force a rebuild they suddenly cut in half again. I don't understand what is going on here. All the rooms below have the same ceiling settings of flat ceiling and no elevation changes either. I'm stumped...

That is unusual.  I can get the trusses to draw all the way across if I grab the end handle (center of roof) and drag it to the other eave.  Don't have a clue why they're behaving that way.  I would contact tech support if I were you and see what they say.

Can't attach the ZIP file for some reason but try this. Save as a new plan and auto build the roofs getting hips and gables set up correctly. Go to original file and clean up second floor roofs. Copy those roof planes. Go to the new plan and delete the roof planes that auto build incorrectly, and paste hold position correct, cleaned up roofs from original plan. I'll try and get plan posted.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, misterwiley said:

I got a couple to work too but if I select the couple that did work and force a rebuild they suddenly cut in half again. I don't understand what is going on here. All the rooms below have the same ceiling settings of flat ceiling and no elevation changes either. I'm stumped...

You wont like the solution.... :)Delete the Roof planes off level 2 and they build just fine, it looks like you have run into Chief's dislike of drawing one set of trusses above another set or Roof Plane ...... this was my hunch , so the test was deleting the 2nd level's Roof planes...deleting just the Trusses on level 2 or locking the Truss envelopes on level 2 didn't seem to help in this case, locking has worked in the past , so it maybe worth another try or try it bit by bit........

image.thumb.png.b5db62ac10f2ae6bc265a2ae3fb061f4.png

I was thinking the same thing as Mick so I deleted two trusses on the 2nd floor roof that extended under the upper roof (just the trusses; not the roof planes themselves) before I tried what I did.  Don't have time to mess with it now but sounds like there might be ways to get the job done.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Check this file and see if it works...

1311_Hamburg_Rd_-_Pricing_Set(temp)_3_(2).zip

Wow Larry, this works perfectly. I don't fully follow what you meant in your previous post about making a new file and the auto built roofs. But the plan file you posted worked wonders. I ended up selecting all the original floor 2 roof planes that are not on floor 3 in your file and moved them down to floor 2 and re adjusted the one roof plane to still have the under/over framing aspect. The floor 3 roof truss are building correctly and so are the floor 2 trusses. I don't follow why what you did solved the issue but you're a wizard my friend.

See attached plan, do you think this will cause the truss features to break again? Seems to be stable now. Thanks again.

1311_Hamburg_Rd_-_Pricing_Set(temp)_Larrys_Fix.zip

It might also be worth mentioning that in my 3 years of using Chief I never ever use the auto built roof feature. I always manually draw my roof planes. This might be why I'm having a difficult time understanding why auto building my roofs might solve issues like this.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

you have run into Chief's dislike of drawing one set of trusses above another set or Roof Plane

Is this a well known issue? I've never heard of this. The attached plan, with much thanks to Larry, has this condition but now suddenly behaves as expected for all roof planes and trusses.

3 minutes ago, misterwiley said:

Is this a well known issue? I've never heard of this. The attached plan, with much thanks to Larry, has this condition but now suddenly behaves as expected for all roof planes and trusses.

I have seen it here over the last few years , somewhere there is a thread with AlaskanSon (Michael) showing this issue , which is what made me think you may have the same issue.

@Alaskan_Son

I typically let Chief Auto Build All Roofs.....1st , then make any adjustments needed but in 75% of cases it does a good job , might even be higher actually especially on your typical rectangular "box" ...you really have nothing to lose , worst case scenario you marquee select Roof Planes, delete, and redraw your Own....if its really messed up....

No way would I build those lower roofs with that great long valley.

That is just asking for trouble and almost guaranteed to leak.

There would also be problems collecting all the water running down that valley.

You won't see those roofs from anywhere, so why not build them auto the way Chief builds them with hips at a lower pitch so that they build under the top floor windows. 

@HumbleChief

I did however notice that in your plan the 2 simple 4/12 gable roof lines are set lower then the other framing. So i moved them up to have the same base line and then it all broke again. So i went back to my original plan and deleted these two roof planes and everything started working. So it is only these roof planes that are causing the issue. Still strange stuff.

412.PNG

49 minutes ago, misterwiley said:

@HumbleChief

I did however notice that in your plan the 2 simple 4/12 gable roof lines are set lower then the other framing. So i moved them up to have the same base line and then it all broke again. So i went back to my original plan and deleted these two roof planes and everything started working. So it is only these roof planes that are causing the issue. Still strange stuff.

412.PNG

Good find Kyle. I pulled back that long, thin roof piece that was joined to lower side roof in your drawing and the trusses drew in fine on the floor above. The plan should NOT behave this way from my experience with Chief. Maybe try 2 planes instead of one long one?

Curious as to how auto roofing can get you 2 different base lines. Are the rooms the same height?