Balcony newel post to ceiling.

Doug_N

There was a post on this just recently; should find it with a search. Apparently, CA still has a problem with the type roof you show and railings with post to beam designations. Short answer, best I remember, is CA can't do it without some manual posts and beams.

41 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Well, that does it then, manually create the posts.  Thanks everyone. 

Yep CA Railing Walls still won't follow a Sloped Roof  , so make the railing without posts and then put in a few of your own....

Skillion is an Oz and less so NZ term for a Mono Slope .....

image.thumb.png.c0213db24a8e2d9467f33a3b729a52f2.png

In my experience, this style of roof has been referred to as a shed roof, and if the roof intersects or abuts a wall then it is often called a lean-to roof.  Some colleagues have called it a mono-pitch roof.  

346842212_WithPeople.thumb.jpg.661619f8231bd7b41a636694e27a7ade.jpg

I am getting there, put in manual posts, but now have to align them with the lower posts.  (Not a problem just saying.)  Added some silhouettes from the library, and now have a reasonable presentation file for a client.  I LOVE Chief Architect.  It is both a great design tool and presentation tool.  Now if the lighting worked nearly the same way in PBR and Render, that would be great.   

On 4/4/2019 at 6:37 AM, Kbird1 said:

Skillion is an Oz and less so NZ term for a Mono Slope .....

In New Zealand, we use the term skillion to describe a roof structure where the ceiling follows the roof line, be it mono pitch/ lean to or a gable roof form. A gable roof shape is also often referred to as having a 'cathedral ceiling'. 

This is one of the wee challenges of many international users I guess, is getting a handle on American terminology.

A couple of other examples:

For exterior cladding, we never use the term siding, its weatherboard, Hardiplank, a specified proprietary plaster system, or plywood etc etc

For interior linings, we use gib board - not rockwall

But all good fun