Standing Seam?

Designer1

34 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I copied the normal map to the bump map box, set scale to 0.1 and checked "Invert". This is the one in CA's most current sheet metal material library.

PBR Camera View

874644371_StandingSeamMetalRoofing.thumb.jpg.7451644a3830a8a83a039ef4770ece87.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance but is it the normal map from "CA's most current sheet metal material library" or Chief's current standing seam normal map? ...and where is 

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Please excuse my ignorance but it the normal map from "CA's most current sheet metal material library" of Chief's current standing seam normal map?

I just used the one that is already assigned to the standing seam material from the library. Looked to be the same as the one you posted. I just highlighted the normal map file in the box and copied it to the bump map box.

1 minute ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I just used the one that is already assigned to the standing seam material from the library. Looked to be the same as the one you posted. I just highlighted the normal map file in the box and copied it to the bump map box.

THX....

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Anyone tried this software?

This is the Converter that Faruk linked and i posted earlier in the thread..... I was messing with this morning as CA's Old Materials don't have a Normal,or bumpmap etc , but I am not really conversant with this stuff.

M.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I copied the normal map to the bump map box, set scale to 0.1 and checked "Invert". This is the one in CA's most current sheet metal material library.

PBR Camera View

874644371_StandingSeamMetalRoofing.thumb.jpg.7451644a3830a8a83a039ef4770ece87.jpg

Hi Graham , can you check that this is actually what you did, as it doesn't look anything like that here......thx.

image.thumb.png.21c0b536e75559f6a06238470fd8d740.png

41 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Graham , can you check that this is actually what you did, as it doesn't look anything like that here......thx.

image.thumb.png.21c0b536e75559f6a06238470fd8d740.png

Looks correct, the difference is likely due to the lighting in my PBR. I'm not on my main system but will check tomorrow afternoon just to make sure.

52 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Looks correct, the difference is likely due to the lighting in my PBR. I'm not on my main system but will check tomorrow afternoon just to make sure.

Thanks just curious , as I think most would be happy with what you show above , I just can't get it there.... unless something else is messed up here....

M.

1 minute ago, NRST8TRKR said:

I am unable to find the file for the bump map.

What am I missing.

Thanks,Ken

It's the normal map from the X11 standard SS Material but also placed in the Bumpmap Slot of the Texture....

M.

Standing Seam Normal.png

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

This is the Converter that Faruk linked and i posted earlier in the thread..... I was messing with this morning as CA's Old Materials don't have a Normal,or bumpmap etc , but I am not really conversant with this stuff.

M.

Need to pay more attention and a belated thanks for posting the info before.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

M.

Still curious, anyone tried it? I tried it but cannot quite understand the translation between the Normal Map settings and the resultant texture.

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks just curious , as I think most would be happy with what you show above , I just can't get it there.... unless something else is messed up here....

M.

Here's a screen capture of the material DBX with the settings I used. The effectiveness of the maps bump and normal are highly dependent upon how the material is lit. They work by changing how light is absorbed or reflected back in specific regions of the material to create the elusion of depth and height.

678930400_StandingSeamMetalRoofingCapture.thumb.JPG.f90998ff03f13569f226dadb2b8100e7.JPG

4 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here's a screen capture of the material DBX with the settings I used. The effectiveness of the maps bump and normal are highly dependent upon how the material is lit. They work by changing how light is absorbed or reflected back in specific regions of the material to create the elusion of depth and height.

678930400_StandingSeamMetalRoofingCapture.thumb.JPG.f90998ff03f13569f226dadb2b8100e7.JPG

It seems I was looking at the wrong side of the Building :) , so you are right it is highly dependant on lighting. Eric is right  too, they have reused the Normal from the Ribbed Metal Roofing I think.

image.thumb.png.a2779b13ab18cb8b75384140b58a5a05.pngimage.thumb.png.3dc98e09fe0eafcf17142ccd9a6b23b4.png

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

It seems I was looking at the wrong side of the Building :) , so you are right it is highly dependant on lighting. Eric is right  too, they have reused the Normal from the Ribbed Metal Roofing I think.

image.thumb.png.a2779b13ab18cb8b75384140b58a5a05.pngimage.thumb.png.3dc98e09fe0eafcf17142ccd9a6b23b4.png

Pleased that it worked out and you were able to replicate the result. Yes, lighting is very critical in how these maps perform, even the camera angle will make a big difference. This of course raises the issue that even though CA provides maps the look one will get is not guaranteed, under specific lighting the material may look great but then under other lighting conditions it could look terrible. There are many times when I have to adjust/tweak the maps for a specific view.

Solver is correct, it is the same as ribbed metal roofing,what we used to call 5-V Crimped. Even after this, it is not showing correctly because after you put the Ridge cap on it sits on the flats and not on the Rib. Poor that after all this time Chief hasn't come up with a true Standing Seam. It has been used for years and is getting even more popular now.

Have a great week all, Ken

I've said this before:

1. Materials are only pictures, not true 3D objects.
  2. Standing Seam Roofing, Mission Tile Roofing & Board & Batt Siding will not show the correct shadows unless they are modeled as 3D objects.  
  3. There are several ways to accomplish true 3D representations of these things but none are real simple. 
  4. Board and Batt Siding can be done using Wall Material Regions for the verticals and the Exterior Room Polyline for the horizontals.
  5. Mission Tile Roofing can be done with some 3D symbols and Distribution Areas/Paths
  6. Standing Seam Roofing can be done with 3D Molding Polylines

There are other possibilities but the above are IMO the easiest.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, NRST8TRKR said:

Solver is correct, it is the same as ribbed metal roofing,what we used to call 5-V Crimped. Even after this, it is not showing correctly because after you put the Ridge cap on it sits on the flats and not on the Rib. Poor that after all this time Chief hasn't come up with a true Standing Seam. It has been used for years and is getting even more popular now.

Have a great week all, Ken

Have to agree but I think as Joe has said it looks like it is impossible with bumpmaps to give us a Texture that represents a 1" - 1 1/4" high Standing Seam.

After playing in the Online Editor it seems that the twin lines of the Standing Steam Top Edge are interpreted as a dip between them not a Raised Flat.

M.

All the textures from chief shown here look like barn metal to me. There was a link on page one to some decent standing seam textures, but like Joe said, they're all just flat pictures and will never look like true 3D. A decent fake? Yeah, depending on viewing angle and need for accuracy.

Bump maps can only provide the appearance of "roughness".  This is great for basically flat surfaces (grass, carpet, upholstery, woodgrain, etc) but they can't interpret what is raised vs recessed.  This is fine for a texture but you can not expect it to work for 3D objects to create shade and shadow.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

All the textures from chief shown here look like barn metal to me. There was a link on page one to some decent standing seam textures, but like Joe said, they're all just flat pictures and will never look like true 3D. A decent fake? Yeah, depending on viewing angle and need for accuracy.

Don't know if it's a "decent fake" but these are from the Linked Site and then run through the Online Normal Map Maker and imported into Chief.... The Zipfile has the Texture and Normal Map etc, if you want to play as well...

MHD CA Gray Standing Seam_X11.calibz

Gray SS Roofing.zip

image.thumb.png.dc632800ea551101c5abf8be9a907f7c.png

Edited by Kbird1
updated .calibz with patterns

6 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Thanks, Mick. These are good for standard roofing panels; better than the library version I think.

Your welcome..download the Library again if you don't have Lines in Vector view, I forgot to do them again, so reposted the library

M.

I think all these suggestions have been great.  I think what were all looking for is a decent texture that wont take a lot of time but appear as realistic as possible.  I do think the older textures I posted looks better then the new.  Heres another comparision... both pictures feature ribbed metal roofing on the left and standing seam on the right.  You can see a clear difference between the two textures in X7 but in X11 the standing seam looks more like the ribbed roofing without much differentiation.

A lof of us long term chief users remember a time we didnt even use bump maps but the renderings still were able to look realistic (somewhat obviously).  I know there are many ways like Joe mentioned of creating extremely detailed, very realistic roofing textures but then we all have to weigh out the value vs time.

It would be nice if we could have all the updates on best materials for PBR and rendering but also have them look the most realistic to what they really look like. (X7 vs X11 textures)

Standing Seam X7.jpg

Standing Seam X11.jpg