Standing Seam?

Designer1

Im looking at the standing seem metal in chiefs X11 and I think they erased the good standing seam textures.  This isnt even a standing seem metal anyway it has deep grooves in it.  Any ideas where the real standing seam metal went?

Standing Seam.jpg

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Im looking at the standing seem metal in chiefs X11 and I think they erased the good standing seam textures.  This isnt even a standing seem metal anyway it has deep grooves in it.  Any ideas where the real standing seam metal went?

Standing Seam.jpg

Same one in X10 just checked , and you are right neither look like SS Metal Roof to me....

image.thumb.png.dc0a5776b91f5ebd30f319caf87f0907.png

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Standing Seam.jpg

Are you sure there was such a thing, that is 3D (if that is what you mean).  I just opened X8, the oldest version I still have on board and it's the same.

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Standing Seam.jpg

Agreed. There used to be better versions of all the metal roof mats. Increasing the width to a realistic profile helps a little bit, but not much. 

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Interesting how some eyes see grooves and others see ridges as the shadows mess with our perceptions.

Funnily enough my 1st impression was that they made a mistake and used a Beaded Siding texture by accident...  (certainteed beaded smooth for example)

Okay, y'all had me a little freaked out for the standing seam didn't look too bad in X10. Had to do a couple of tries but got it to show like in X10 in X11. On my first try, I tried to export the library directly from Chief's library and then import it into X11. Well, Chief changed the texture to look like an X11 texture. Freaking out a little by now. On my next try, I copied the X10 library into my user library. Then I exported that library from my user library. Then imported that library to X11. Now it looks like it did in X10 which is satisfactory or like it was in X10. I attached an image from my new X11 standing seam library.

BTW, when I exported it from my X10 user library, I gave the file name a different name. Don't know if that made a difference but it worked.

Standing seam metal.jpg

Wait a minute. WTF?, when I try to assign the texture to a wall, it goes back to looking messed up again. If I just open the library (not from the wall dbx) and go to the texture, it looks right in the library as I showed. Don't know what's going on.

If you want a true 3D standing seam roof, you will need to model it using 3D molding PLines or some other actual 3D objects.  Textures in Chief are not really 3D.  They are only representations (pics taken from one direction) and depending on the z dimension (if it's more than about 1/2") of the material they won't be very realistic

I think Im going to call tech support and ask if they can just send me the old chief metal roofing textures from yesteryear Chief.  Even if the PBR isnt integrated in the texture it still looked really good rendered.  I have X7 and the texture was similar so I think it might have been prior to X6 that they changed it and Ive deleted the old versions off my computer.

This is what concerns me, on my other topic post about updating catalogues, you update and loose some of the best textures.  The problem is you dont know your going to loose the texture till you update the catalogue and then months later or longer you go back to the texture you need again and its gone in past versions somewhere.  Would love to have the option to know whats updating and whats being replaced so we can add to our user library and not loose the textures.

Upon further research on the X7 textures Ive realized the Standing Seam texture is the good texture I liked.  I went ahead and imported it into X11 and you can see a huge difference in the two textures.  The yellow roofing is X7, the beige X11.

Standing Seam.jpg

10 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Upon further research on the X7 textures Ive realized the Standing Seam texture is the good texture I liked.  I went ahead and imported it into X11 and you can see a huge difference in the two textures.  The yellow roofing is X7, the beige X11.

Standing Seam.jpg

Hi , I just did some digging in the Chief Files after you mentioned X6-X7 and found them back then but also found the files were actually changed in 2016 , (the new files have 2016 in their names), X9 has them, and the X10 Core Catalog actually has both Files,(uses newer files?)  but X11 has only the newer ones.

In  this folder (or x6-x9)             C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X9\Referenced Files\

You will find a file called            CoreCatalogFiles.Zip                    unzip it to a folder and you will find all the CA SS (Color).jpg Files , you can copy these 

to a new Folder and then

use  3D>Materials>convert Textures to Material> point to the new folder made above

and they will be added to the  User Library under the name of the Folder you made

above. eg CA Standing Steam .

OR download the Library I made in X10 and try it.... :)        MHD CA Standing Seam_X10.calibz   

X11 with "Patterns" MHD CA Standing Seam_X11.calibz                                                                                                                                                        

image.thumb.png.1174f5d2e74954a3cab013214c72ec8e.png 

• Like 1

It seems like the Old textures have the same issue in X11 even though they look  better as SS as .jpgs..... the old textures look like they have grooves to me in X11 instead...same as the new Textures......

30 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It seems like the Old textures have the same issue in X11 even though they look  better as SS as .jpgs..... the old textures look like they have grooves to me in X11 instead...same as the new Textures......

As I noted in an earlier post, my texture I brought forward looks good when viewing in the library (user library), but when I actually apply that texture to a wall and look at it in 3D, it looks like Chief changes the look to what you see in X11. Haven't been able to figure that out yet since they're image files. Chief is apparently changing it when you want to use it in the plan. Why???

15 minutes ago, solver said:

Are Bump or Normal maps involved?

No not for the Standing Seam , I was just playing with it at the Site Faruk mentioned (below) , but I am not really sure what I am doing , and so far it looks the same..or worse... tried a texture from the Site Larry mentioned above but it seems CA is "flattening" the look....maybe just the lighting in CA X11 works differently?

here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/22010-free-texture-with-mapes/?do=findComment&comment=179889

these are all the textures from the Library above if you want to have a play....

CA Standing Seam Textures.zip

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious, here's the current normal map for standing seam roofs. Is there an easy way to change this map to get a better look? Bump map?

standing seam normal map.png

I copied the normal map to the bump map box, set scale to 0.1 and checked "Invert". This is the one in CA's most current sheet metal material library.

PBR Camera View

874644371_StandingSeamMetalRoofing.thumb.jpg.7451644a3830a8a83a039ef4770ece87.jpg