working with shapes

pgjacob

Hi All

I am creating custom light fixtures and many have a domed shade.  I actually used two bowls in the CA library for one of the shades (one for outer color, one for inner color) but was wondering how I could use the included shapes to do this as well or just CAD objects.  There is a half sphere available but I want to hollow it out.  Is there a way to "subtract" a smaller half sphere within a larger half sphere (create a hole?) to do this?  Some of the domes are not completely spherical, so I would like to edit their shape a little and then hollow them out.  Trying to do something like the sconce pasted in here.

I also attach a CA plan with the light fixture I created using the bowls (I don't know how to export one user object separately....)

Thanks

melissa

image.thumb.png.844748020b2080af3473b7db4d63ca8d.png

sommerton.plan

You can do what you need with Solid Modeling Tools.  It will be a bit slow at first until you get the hang of it.

The bowls or lamp shades can be done effectively using the Revolve Object tool.  Just draw a polyline that represents half of the section view and snap a face to it and revolve.  Also helps to locate and model about the 0,0 point so calculations are not required for the dbx.

2 hours ago, pgjacob said:

I also attach a CA plan with the light fixture I created using the bowls (I don't know how to export one user object separately....)

I think you mean making a symbol right ?   from your plan you take a 3D view , then Tools>Convert to Symbol>Electrical+advanced Options...mounts to ceiling etc.

Here is your Lamp back as a Symbol so you can check it out (Plan below) ...... and a better explanation in this Tutorial on how to do it....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00809/converting-an-object-into-a-symbol.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00761/modeling-custom-3d-objects.html

this is the technique to subtract one solid from another to :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00796/beveling-the-top-of-a-concrete-column.html

MHD_Sommerton.plan

M.

HOLY COW!  This is like Chief Architect PLUS Sudoku.  This is going to be fun!  The subtraction thing is awesome!  And trying to figure out the chamfer (new word for me!) object will be like a puzzle, of which I am a huge fan.

Thanks to everyone AGAIN for the help and pointing to the help articles.  And I was able to export an individual object, it just says "Export Library" and I didn't know it would do just the one I highlighted.

Melissa

my chamferred cylinder.calibz

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:41 PM, solver said:

For bowl like shapes, you can use a molding profile.

ct1.thumb.png.b397cb6e10b3896df3b4e8095ba6e59e.png

Eric, when i try and do this my shade is very segmented, my molding is smooth but when i add it to a polyline it becomes only 3 segments for curve?

dome molding.JPG

2 hours ago, dskogg said:

my shade is very segmented, my molding is smooth but when i add it to a polyline it becomes only 3 segments for curve?

1. Draw a CAD ARC with the desired RADIUS, 
  2. convert CAD ARC to a Curved Polyline with the Convert Curve Tool  ( edit toolbar )
  3. Set Number of Segments HIGH to get smooth curve ( 25 used in example)
  4. save Polyline to Library so it becomes a Molding
  5. Apply the molding to a CAD circle, converted to a Molding Polyline.

* Shade material is an emissive Lighting material in pics. Other parts are just polyline solids , blocked and then converted to a Electrical Symbol with Light Option set in advanced Options ( along with 110v, flush to ceiling etc as needed)

image.thumb.png.23fcf2d1d1c401940373ad254562454b.pngimage.thumb.png.b07f1963d3d0bce1814c9713c727478d.png

• Like 1