draw roof plan from ridge

jpdesign

Hello,

Normally, a roof plan is drawn from baseline, usually the top plate height, to ridge.

Is there a way to draw from ridge and to find the baseline height?

Actually I'm trying to draw roof plans for this house.

image.thumb.png.70151d125e2d279a437be950012d7ed6.pngimage.thumb.png.6fbb2c5fc8cee075d6ccda3e30ee8f24.png

The roof slope for main house is 4:12. The porch has 2.5:12 slope. Both roof plans meet at exterior wall.

I use exterior wall height as the baseline to draw the roof plan for the main house, and then don't know how to draw a roof plan for porch so that the both roof plans meets on top of exterior wall and have same height.

Your advice is very appreciated.

Josh

43 minutes ago, jpdesign said:

Hello,

Normally, a roof plan is drawn from baseline, usually the top plate height, to ridge.

Is there a way to draw from ridge and to find the baseline height?

Actually I'm trying to draw roof plans for this house.

image.thumb.png.70151d125e2d279a437be950012d7ed6.pngimage.thumb.png.6fbb2c5fc8cee075d6ccda3e30ee8f24.png

The roof slope for main house is 4:12. The porch has 2.5:12 slope. Both roof plans meet at exterior wall.

I use exterior wall height as the baseline to draw the roof plan for the main house, and then don't know how to draw a roof plan for porch so that the both roof plans meets on top of exterior wall and have same height.

Your advice is very appreciated.

Josh

It sounds like the fascia height of the main roof @ 5:12, after it's pulled back to the exterior wall and the ridge height of the porch roof (locked at 2.5:12) would be the same height. Those heights can be set in each roof's dbx.

Or if you want the ridge of the porch to join the fascia of the main roof, just set those two heights the same, locking each pitch as you do so. Oh and you can draw the porch roof anywhere you want, just set the correct heights. EDIT: Set the porch ridge height 1/2" lower than the main roof's fascia height, probably good reason for this but play around with those dbx's and you'll learn a bunch about Chief's roofs.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

It sounds like the fascia height of the main roof @ 5:12, after it's pulled back to the exterior wall and the ridge height of the porch roof (locked at 2.5:12) would be the same height. Those heights can be set in each roof's dbx.

Or if you want the ridge of the porch to join the fascia of the main roof, just set those two heights the same, locking each pitch as you do so. Oh and you can draw the porch roof anywhere you want, just set the correct heights. EDIT: Set the porch ridge height 1/2" lower than the main roof's fascia height, probably good reason for this but play around with those dbx's and you'll learn a bunch about Chief's roofs.

image.thumb.png.03998620f34d802411ddd6c540f71cdd.png

Hi HumbleChief,

Thank you so much.

I made it! but it leads to my next question.

What setting would remove the gap as depicted with red line?

Josh

3 minutes ago, jpdesign said:

Hi HumbleChief,

Thank you so much.

Josh

It looks like you framed the Porch with 2x10 instead of 2x6 rafters ?  the notch is the soffit cutout....

4 minutes ago, jpdesign said:

Hi HumbleChief,

Thank you so much.

Josh

Is there a ceiling on that porch? Does the line move if you raise the ceiling?

16 minutes ago, jpdesign said:

Hi HumbleChief,

Thank you so much.

Josh

I think Mick is right on the rafter size. If you build framing you can see what needs to be done more clearly. No one can give you a definite answer unless we have your plan file. Its easier to help you when you can send your plan file.