Updating from Chief X8 to X11

otisbradley

Hi - 

I am a design/builder - in and out of various parts of the business since '75 

I used Chief - after other CAD products - for several years X6 - X8 I believe

I have been involved in other things and haven't used Chief much in the past few years

To "upgrade" the cost is $1700 - wow 

I imagine it's worth it but that's a painful bite ...

Any thoughts ?

thx Otis

might be a lot of money but to upgrade that many versions, you say is it worth it yes yes yes if you are going to be using it for your business, I use to use it for a design build business but know just use in to draw plans for other builders and there clients

• Like 1

WOW! Not sure how to answer. You can do a lot of work with X8 I think that was the last version that will let you convert some of the older files, so you should definitely keep that version working. As far as upgrading, I do it every year, even though I am semi-retired and could probably get by with an older version. It's an investment that keeps getting better, keeps the mind sharp, and just plain fun to use. I can always sell it if I get to bored. What other software company out there will let you sell your license for a small transfer fee?  Its a win-win!

• Like 1

It really just depends on how much you'll use Chief in your business. Huge leaps in productivity since X8 but if you're only designing a couple houses a year then it's a pretty big bite of your operating expenses. If you're serious about getting a lot design done in a given year then the price is more than reasonable IMO.

• Like 1

Yes - I like Chief a lot - not sure if I will do 5 or 20 design jobs over the next year so I guess that's why I am dragging my feet

I should probably decide if I want to be an architect ... or a builder ... or both ... 

I keep moving from one to another depending on the opportunities 

I am amazed at the ability of Chief - working with a past client now - we worked on this building in 2000 - with old 2D drawings - now I can go through a world of ideas ...

Thanks for your comments

Kline_2019_0321.jpg

CA is so much more than just an architectural design program. I use it to design logos, signs, custom cabinets, preliminary subdivision and commercial site layouts, landscaping plans, impervious surface calculations, CAD based pier,dock and bulkhead  designs, simple models for 3D printers (just did a soap dish for my brother-in-law, worked perfectly),  Right now I'm using it to design N-scale model rail road structures and track designs...Also working on some quilt pattern designs for my wife   The list of possibilities of the program keeps growing and that's why I keep upgrading! 

Tax revaluation just came in on one of my properties at 1700 sq. ft.  No way, 1500 at best!  CA to the rescue!  Submitted an as built plan, no questions, Lowered my tax bill by enough to pay for a another  upgrade!  :) 

• Upvote 1

Do it.

1. It will not take long before the O.S. you are working with will become incompatible (maybe but probably)

2. Physically based rendering

3. If you want to outsource any drawings you want to be in the latest version to have the best pool to choose from.

4. If you are in Ojai and $1700 is too big of a business purchase for a primary
CADD system you need a business coach.

You know you can rent (to own) or monthly, but if you do, you will be hooked!  I'm using it more now than I have in the past 5 years, and that's because my boss found out I have it, and he could save some bucks doing design build now vs paying the Arch fees. Thumbs up for X11!

If your doing single family homes and possibly lite commercial only..... possibly upgrade although the overall basic program has changed little in my personal opinion ( there are many more bells and whistles and quicker ways to do things.....but from one builder to another  still so much lacking given what is available in the market place.) I also started with Chief in 1982 and have the  lates vs X-11. Anything more than residential you might want to consider another program at that investment. We personally have moved into VectorWorks for anything beyond sngle family. Still using Chief as our single family homes program. 

Otis, do whats right for you not what any else has to say about upgrades.  For myself I upgrade every two years, as I dont want to spend that much yearly on software upgrades.  Some people might want to spend that and thats great but for me I like to give it some time between upgrades.  Also you might look at options at the end of the year when they have sales going on, that might help you make an easier decision on what will work best for you.

• Upvote 1

there are many features and fixes in each new release

if you are in business I recommend staying current is important

X10 introduced Plansets - a major feature enhancement

I attached the X10 what's new and the X9 update notes (can't find the What's New)

for X11 the What's new is online at CA's website

Lew

CHIEF_X10-new-features.pdf

CHIEF_X9-update-notes.pdf