perpendicular dimensioning

DianeP

Just now, DianeP said:

Thanks!  Sure takes a lot of steps to get a perpendicular dimension.  I appreciate you breaking down the process.  

There are a large handful of ways to get a perpendicular dimension, the make perpendicular/parallel tool is one as mentioned, and simply drawing from a 90 degree corner with angle snaps on will get you this with a handful of different dimensioning tools...too many ways to skin this particular cat

24 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Thanks!  Sure takes a lot of steps to get a perpendicular dimension.  

A bit confused. It only takes one simple step with perp snaps turned on and angle snaps turned off. Step 1 - draw a line from the corner of the building to the PL and it will snap perp to the line. I must be really bad at explaining things...best of luck.

Glenn, It seems like your technique assumes the arc is drawn off the corner of the house as the center of the arc's radius, which is rarely the case. With Angle snaps turned off and perpendicular snaps turned on you can draw a point to point dim from the corner of a building to any size radius and center location arc and snap that dim. to perpendicular.

8 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Glenn, It seems like your technique assumes the arc is drawn off the corner of the house as the center of the arc's radius, which is rarely the case.

Larry,

Not true.

Give it a try.

You can see where the arc centre is - inside the building.

The arc centre can be anywhere - inside the building or outside the building.

Once you get your head around to thinking in terms that the dimension needs to be a radii it falls into place - any line or dimension that is perpendicular to the arc, is a radius.

That, coupled with the fact that when you stretch a line or dimension that is not at an allowed angle, it will maintain it's angle even though it is not an allowed angle.

I am not saying this is the best way - just another way - with no need for macros, make parallel, temp lines, etc.