perpendicular dimensioning

DianeP

Why can't I get a perpendicular object snap icon to show?.  I have tried to do a plot plan in CA and want to dimension to the point on the lot line that perpendicular to the corner of the house.  I have all the object snaps off except endpoints and perpendicular.  Perpendicular doesn't want to work.  As a test I drew two straight lines and then a line off of one of the straight lines that would join the other straight line at a point perpendicular to the origin of the new line. Still no perpendicular icon to snap to.   I can get middle, nearest etc to work.  I have always used AutoCAD to do the plot plans for this reason, but would like to be able to do them in CA   Thanks!!!

Diane, Check the help files, it might help, but I've always had trouble getting perp lines to draw but probably user error on my part...

There's also a perp and parallel tool that will position lines perp or parallel to another, perhaps that will work better?

PERP SNAPS.png

PERP SNAPS 2.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

If I am understanding the problem correctly, turn your "On Object" snap on also.

Turned it on it still doesn't seem to work.  I do get the nearest on object but how do I know that is the perpendicular point to the corner of the house.   Here are my settings:

image.thumb.png.80b0045d0bac0a1401e8bbe9945e108b.png

While I am asking questions... the help for snap says to enable extension snaps... is  this just picking one of the three extension snaps that are available in the preferences for object snaps or is there something else that has to be enabled?

The only way perp snaps works is to follow the help file instructions precisely but I think the perp and parallel tool will work better for your purposes. Have you used it? It will set any line perp or parallel to any other line. Can you post a pic of what you are trying to accomplish?

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The only way perp snaps works is to follow the help file instructions precisely but I think the perp and parallel tool will work better for your purposes. Have you used it? It will draw any line perp or parallel to any other line. Can you post a pic of what you are trying to accomplish?

Thanks for trying to help.  Here is a picture with examples of what I need.  I have to give the distances for all corners to points perpendicular on the property lines.

image.thumb.png.bf394a48429fa41186b99e6882b6642b.png

The perp and parallel tool will also set dimension lines to be perp to a line. Select the dim line, click on the tool then select the other line and your dim line will be perp to the selected line.

The curved PL line will have to be faked in as close to perp. as you can. EDIT: Perp snap actually seems work OK.

Re: the video, not sure Chief will find the corner of the house as easily as it find the corner of the CAD line (EDIT: turns out it does) but you can figure out how to make that work I'm sure.

ALSO make sure Angle Snaps are turned OFF.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Kelly_K said:

Diane,

What I do is draw in some short point to point dimension segments close to where you need them, use make parallel/perpendicular tool and then grab handle them into place.

Kelly, did you watch the video? I've struggled with this for years and I just learned a bunch about how perp snaps work and it looks like, with Angle Snaps turned off, dim lines will snap perp to another line if perp snaps are turned on. Never knew that and always followed your steps above but was never really happy with the results. 

29 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The perp and parallel tool will also set dimension lines to be perp to a line. Select the dim line, click on the tool then select the other line and your dim line will be perp to the selected line.

The curved PL line will have to be faked in as close to perp. as you can. EDIT: Perp snap actually seems work OK.

Re: the video, not sure Chief will find the corner of the house as easily as it find the corner of the CAD line (EDIT: turns out it does) but you can figure out how to make that work I'm sure.

ALSO make sure Angle Snaps are turned OFF.

Thanks so much for the video!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I learn best this way.  Can you tell me the toolbar you have open that has the perp.  parallel options. I don't seem to have it open on my computer.  

20 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Thanks so much for the video!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I learn best this way.  Can you tell me the toolbar you have open that has the perp.  parallel options. I don't seem to have it open on my computer.  

It only appears when you have something selected that can be set to perp or parallel otherwise it's not there. Does that help?

Good video Larry.  I usually just snap from the corner of the house to the corner of the lot line and then use the Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool and relocate as necessary.  What you have shown using the Point To Point dimension tool and some of its newer (X9 or X10) functionalities is a very good method though as well.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DianeP said:

are you going to do another video to show us?

Looks like it will snap perp to the mid point or end (with mid point/end snaps turned on of course) but no where else along a curve. You can snap perp from a point to the curve as the vid above shows which should work in most cases.

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Good video Larry.  I usually just snap from the corner of the house to the corner of the lot line and then use the Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool and relocate as necessary.  What you have shown using the Point To Point dimension tool and some of its newer (X9 or X10) functionalities is a very good method though as well.  Thanks.

Actually learned most of those tools/methods this morning by doing the vids as the whole challenge posted by the Diane/OP has snowed me for years. Glad it helps and glad to learn new tools in Chief.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

with Angle Snaps turned off, dim lines will snap perp to another line if perp snaps are turned on

Nice Video / find , thanks Larry ...... usually Dims will snap at the Angle Snaps , but with a Plot Plan and coming off the Corner of a house that doesn't help, in fact it  would hinder, so great tip.

The 3 extension Snaps only "show" it seems IF you get an Extension Anchor to show 1st ( small blue circle) like at a mid point or endpoint ( and Quadrant snap) , so I guess that is why we don't "see" them with Dimension Lines.

M.

5 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Kelly, did you watch the video? I've struggled with this for years and I just learned a bunch about how perp snaps work and it looks like, with Angle Snaps turned off, dim lines will snap perp to another line if perp snaps are turned on. Never knew that and always followed your steps above but was never really happy with the results. 

Larry actually I did not, I have found perpendicular snapping required me to be zoomed in partly because I work with a high dpi setting on my mice so rather than fussing with getting a snap, I do just as I recommended.  Also the way I do my plot plans I don't need a lot of perpendicular dim work.  However, I will say you made it work pretty well coming off a corner a nice tip to remember definitely quicker than doing what I do now.

31 minutes ago, Kelly_K said:

Larry actually I did not, I have found perpendicular snapping required me to be zoomed in partly because I work with a high dpi setting on my mice so rather than fussing with getting a snap, I do just as I recommended.  Also the way I do my plot plans I don't need a lot of perpendicular dim work.  However, I will say you made it work pretty well coming off a corner a nice tip to remember definitely quicker than doing what I do now.

Yeah no sweat, I'm learning that most people don't watch the vids and as I posted above I've struggled with Perp dims for the longest time, especially on plot plans so the exercise really helped me out. Genuinely did not know they worked the way they do until I started messing about this morning.

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Seems to behave much better with Angle Snaps off, then you can snap to perp from any corner to any arc, with no additional steps, but will keep your tip in mind if needed.

I personally use a p-line with a dimension label per a suggestion/trick from alaskan son...that way it can report as a macro