Vaulted Ceiling at Porch

UserJD

I have a vaulted ceiling running from front to back in this house. I can't quite figure out how to make it look right on the front porch and close the front of it in. I did 12' plate height with no ceiling selected. I ran a ceiling plane through all three rooms and selected room finish for the ceiling plane finish. Not quite sure how to clean these walls and face of the fascia up. There is also an angled line in the ceiling towards the back corners from the valley above that I can't seem to hide. Need to add beams as well.

Porch1.PNG

Porch2.PNG

I'm pretty sure, solver (already knows what to do) and he can help you fix what you need, but it's always helpful if you post the plan. You also need to fill out your signature as he suggests.

If you'll go to your profile and select it, then go down the drop down menu to >settings, then a drop down menu on the lower left side will open, just scroll down a bit and select> Signature, and enter the software vs, along with your Hardware that too will assist the helpers-help you.

(EDIT) the angled lines in the corner are most likely the intersecting valleys. Not sure exactly how to fix that but I'm sure it's simple enough, Another reason to post your plan.

Porch help.png

1 hour ago, UserJD said:

I have a vaulted ceiling running from front to back in this house. I can't quite figure out how to make it look right on the front porch and close the front of it in. I did 12' plate height with no ceiling selected. I ran a ceiling plane through all three rooms and selected room finish for the ceiling plane finish. Not quite sure how to clean these walls and face of the fascia up. There is also an angled line in the ceiling towards the back corners from the valley above that I can't seem to hide. Need to add beams as well.

Porch1.PNG

Porch2.PNG

As noted always best to post the Plan File....attach it while the Plan is Closed in Chief though as Chief locks the File.

From the second pic it looks like the ceiling Planes (Pink) are pulled through the Side Walls, not up to them, and not far enough to the Front of the Roof Slope.

The ceiling planes shouldn't really be needed, unchecking "Has Flat ceiling" in the Porch Room's DBX should give you the same result , and no need to mess with ceiling planes.

You have the front Gable Wall set to Invisible it seems so you'll need to explain more on how you want to "fill it in"

Okay. Sorry for all the issues. I just changed over about a week ago after using AutoCAD for 15 years so I am new to the software as well as the forum. I have removed the ceiling planes from the porch as well as adjusted them to the inside of the wall versus the outside. I have attached the file as well as a picture of my main concern areas. Where the valley meets, it creates a dog ear in the corner of the ceiling. Trying to figure out how to make the framing just continue down in both directions to finish off correctly. Also how to fix the end of the walls so they are closed. As far as finishing off the front of the gable, I kept is behind the 10" columns as I want to run 10" beams from the tops of the columns up to the ridge.

Porch3.PNG

METHOD_TEMPLATE.plan

59 minutes ago, UserJD said:

Okay. Sorry for all the issues. I just changed over about a week ago after using AutoCAD for 15 years so I am new to the software as well as the forum. I have removed the ceiling planes from the porch as well as adjusted them to the inside of the wall versus the outside. I have attached the file as well as a picture of my main concern areas. Where the valley meets, it creates a dog ear in the corner of the ceiling. Trying to figure out how to make the framing just continue down in both directions to finish off correctly. Also how to fix the end of the walls so they are closed. As far as finishing off the front of the gable, I kept is behind the 10" columns as I want to run 10" beams from the tops of the columns up to the ridge.

Porch3.PNG

METHOD_TEMPLATE.plan

The Framing looks correct to me for the current Roof configuration , so you'd need to change it like Eric said or use a Ceiling plane just below the current one as you had attempted previously.

If you change the two "Valley" boards to 7 1/4 they disappear and display the correct Ceiling. You will see this elsewhere too as unfortunately this is still a common issue in CA as it defaults to using the RidgeBoard Size for Valleys too , which in the case of OverFrame Roofs causes issues....and the auto "cut framing to soffit" doesn't always do it's job.

image.thumb.png.bd33a780a73fd40d1d647556b5dc227a.png

image.thumb.png.e64f5000885e33b09b813f5a3958b50b.png

M.

That roof is what I am working towards. The client wants a straight ridge across the top. In CAD I made the slope between the two gables in the back a lower pitch to do that. Haven't attempted to do that yet on this plan as that is my next can of worms. 

On 3/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, UserJD said:

That roof is what I am working towards. The client wants a straight ridge across the top. In CAD I made the slope between the two gables in the back a lower pitch to do that. Haven't attempted to do that yet on this plan as that is my next can of worms. 

Jason...I used your plan to create a video on roof editing. Maybe it'll help you...or maybe you've already got this done and moved on.  Either way...here is the video.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SNestor said:

Jason...I used your plan to create a video on roof editing. Maybe it'll help you...or maybe you've already got this done and moved on.  Either way...here is the video.

Steve, great video.  I know a lot of what the long time users (especially those who use CA in their profession) can do with Chief Architect amazes me. I wouldn't know where to begin to do what you did with the roof on this project and how you knew to do what you did do? You guy's make it SEEM so easy?!?!?!

3 hours ago, Evolution said:

Steve, great video.  I know a lot of what the long time users (especially those who use CA in their profession) can do with Chief Architect amazes me. I wouldn't know where to begin to do what you did with the roof on this project and how you knew to do what you did do? You guy's make it SEEM so easy?!?!?!

Thanks...it’s nice to know my videos can be some help.  

Awesome video. I fixed all of my wall alignments and started over on the roof. Followed the video and have a much better understanding and roof. I am used to doing it that way on AutoCAD and was trying to be a little lazy having it do it for me with the auto roof tool. Thanks for all the help.