Setting deck height

DeckQuestions

I set my deck height to 35". After putting in lattice I realized that Chief set actual distance from top of deck to the ground was about 55 inches from the terrain. 35" is, however, roughly the distance between the top of deck height and my top of subfloor, according to my Auto Story Pole Dimensions. 

How can I set my deck height to start on grade level instead of whatever it's doing now? 

CA builds the Terrain auto at about -20 from the subfloor height of 0" so if you set 35"...... 55" sounds about right to the Terrain,  but did you want the Deck 3' above the House Floor ? 

Normally I set the Deck "Room" Floor to -2 or -4 " , so there is a slight step up into the house.....

need more info to advise more

Mick,

The deck is supposed to be 3' off the ground, not the house floor. The house floor should be about 3 1/2" above the deck floor in case of snow draining in to the house. 

Should my strategy going forward be to simply subtract 20" from whatever height I want to set the deck to, in order to unsure it actually gets as far off the ground as I want? That does put the deck right where I want it. Setting the grade manually to the terrain seemed like a more intuitive, repeatable, and easier to mark idea, but there may be reasons why I can't/shouldn't that I'm unaware of. I'm very new to the program.

Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, DeckQuestions said:

Mick,

The deck is supposed to be 3' off the ground, not the house floor. The house floor should be about 3 1/2" above the deck floor in case of snow draining in to the house. 

Should my strategy going forward be to simply subtract 20" from whatever height I want to set the deck to, in order to unsure it actually gets as far off the ground as I want? That does put the deck right where I want it. Setting the grade manually to the terrain seemed like a more intuitive, repeatable, and easier to mark idea, but there may be reasons why I can't/shouldn't that I'm unaware of. I'm very new to the program.

Thanks. 

No... the 20" really means nada at this point....

So if I have it right the Terrain should be at 39 1/2 " below the Subfloor ( deck 36" off terrain + 3 1/2" upto house) 

1.) uncheck automatic height in the Terrain Perimeter DBX and set that 1st manually to 39 1/2"

2.)  set Deck "Room" Floor to     - 3 1/2" in the Room DBX

3.)  pull a Section Camera through the Deck/Door and see if Mick got his Math right....

• Like 1

If you want the top of the deck to be 3' off the ground and have the house floor to be 3 1/2" from the top of the deck. When you create your terrain set the terrain to be 39 1/2" then select your deck and lower the floor 3 1/2" .

Don't mind the dimensions in the picture its just the way my dimensions set up. 1/11953779222_Untitled1.thumb.jpg.8ff0463c521bb3af50fc6b406ef417aa.jpg478853619_Untitled1a.thumb.JPG.2a1298f49ceff7746db1cf694d304084.JPG1379501328_Untitled2.thumb.jpg.f1661d40a7c45510852497dcefc1474a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks again guys. Looks like that did the trick.

I can see from the screenshot that the subfloor height above terrain is set in the terrain specification panel. That's interesting. Well, this will definitely come in handy going forward. I'm really glad this forum and you guys are here. 

Till next time.