Where Are Auto Dimension Defaults Set?

HumbleChief

6 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Text style doesn't change the size of the numbers in the dims on my computer. Not really sure what "Auto Dims Text" might even effect? Dimension text? Maybe leading text? Trailing text? Nope. What is "auto dims text" and what does it control? Does it control the Dim Number size on your computer?

Create a text style specific to the layer set for that view. The layers respect different settings for different layer sets.

dims.thumb.png.0bb3783588ef6319653bd01661b8a3c4.png

Yeah did that with no discernible effect. When you change that text style and its size the dimensions get larger and/or smaller? Not seeing that here.

Still curious as to what 'text' that text style affects?

AHA!!! I was NOT using text style for my dims, instead I was using a custom text size. This will work me thinks. Thanks so much for hanging in there. Testing now.

Nah, every text style still gets over ridden by the previous Auto Dim setting.

Does your Automatic Dimensions Default specify to "Use Layer for Text Style"? This solved it. Haven't messed with that for literally 20 years. Thanks so much for the help Chris, Joe.

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah did that with no discernible effect. When you change that text style and its size the dimensions get larger and/or smaller? Not seeing that here.

Still curious as to what 'text' that text style affects?

Larry,

Does your Automatic Dimensions Default specify to "Use Layer for Text Style"?

21 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

Does your Automatic Dimensions Default specify to "Use Layer for Text Style"?

Just posted that above Joe, may solve the whole issue.

Nah, still gets over ridden by the previous Auto Dim setting.

Thought I posted this -  It does now and that solved it! Thank you Joe and Chris.

29 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Just posted that above Joe, may solve the whole issue.

Nah, still gets over ridden by the previous Auto Dim setting.

Thought I posted this -  It does now and that solved it! Thank you Joe and Chris.

You're welcome, now go tweak that template plan file some more!!

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Note that this still doesn't solve the issue of Arrow Size, Arrow Style, or Layer according to "Active Defaults" for Auto Dims.  I've reported it as a bug and will let you know what answer I get from CA.

Thanks Joe.

After further studying / testing this issue, manual dimensions have the same restrictions over the arrow size and style, even with the added control of Dimension Defaults. That is, if we're wanting a common dimension string to appear differently in different views, the above control -- or lack thereof -- discussed for automatic dimensions also applies to manual dimensions: the text style and size, and line weight and color can be controlled independently by Layer settings, but not the arrow size and style.

Joe, your Suggestion to add Auto Dim Defaults to Annotations is a good one, but I feel we also need some way to control the arrow size and style for common dimensions that we want to appear in multiple views, but with different attributes.

Not sure if that's even feasible, given the current architecture of the software... your thoughts?

15 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Thanks Joe.

After further studying / testing this issue, manual dimensions have the same restrictions over the arrow size and style, even with the added control of Dimension Defaults. That is, if we're wanting a common dimension string to appear differently in different views, the above control -- or lack thereof -- discussed for automatic dimensions also applies to manual dimensions: the text style and size, and line weight and color can be controlled independently by Layer settings, but not the arrow size and style.

Joe, your Suggestion to add Auto Dim Defaults to Annotations is a good one, but I feel we also need some way to control the arrow size and style for common dimensions that we want to appear in multiple views, but with different attributes.

Not sure if that's even feasible, given the current architecture of the software... your thoughts?

Annosets / Active Defaults / Dimension Defaults allow control of the Arrow Style and Size. 

But that's only for New Dimensions.  To get the same kind of control (for common dimension strings) that the Layer Set provides for Text Style we would need another column in the LDO.  "Arrow Style" might be sufficient.