Where Are Auto Dimension Defaults Set?

HumbleChief

I have gotten this weird dimension view many times and can't figure out where it comes from. I'll be working in my plan with my Plan Views set up and many times I'll open my Floor Plan View and the dimensions will be over sized and set to Inherits Default Properties From: PLOT PLAN DIMENSIONS.

I have to go in to that dbx and change that default but can't figure out where that comes from. Why is it inheriting properties from that Dim Default? And can that be changed? How?

Thanks

DIM DEFAULTS 2.png

DIM DEFULATS 1.png

15 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Look in your Saved Plan View settings.

Thanks Chris, but isn't that the same as active defaults which shows another/correct dimension layer and setting? That's the confusing part. I can't figure out where that Plot Plan Dim Default comes from...it's not set up that way in Plan Views and happens randomly but fairly often...

Larry,

As Chris indicated it's all tied into the "Saved Plan View".  Basically when you open a "Saved Plan View":

An Annoset is selected which

• has "Dimension Defaults"
  • and the Dimension Text may be even be set to use the Text Style of the Dimension Layer.

In your case it appears you have "Active Defaults" selected rather than a "Floor Plan Annoset"

Using "Active Defaults" is a problem because it can so easily be changed.  It's best to save your "Plan Views" with named Annosets and make sure the correct Annoset is selected.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

It looks like Auto Dims are not Plan View specific? Whichever view you are in when using Auto Dims it looks like that dim default carries over to all Plan Views until that default is manually changed.

But they are Annoset & Layer Set specific.

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

As Chris indicated it's all tied into the "Saved Plan View".  Basically when you open a "Saved Plan View":

An Annoset is selected which

• has "Dimension Defaults"
  • and the Dimension Text may be even be set to use the Text Style of the Dimension Layer.

In your case it appears you have "Active Defaults" selected rather than a "Floor Plan Annoset"

Using "Active Defaults" is a problem.  It's best to save your "Plan Views" with named Annosets.

Found out something new. When using Auto Dims the dim default that is set in THAT plan view over rides the dim default in a different Plan View. As if Auto Dims has its own default that transfers to any Plan View. The dim default in either Anno Sets or Active defaults for that plan view is ignored until changed manually or Auto Dims are set in another Plan View.

Also Active Defaults duplicates any Anno Set setting and actually eliminates the need for Anno Sets - not a problem at all.

14 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

If you have an Annoset in use that specifies a specific Layer in the Dimensions Default:

• All dimensions should then be created using that Layer
  • But that's not the case.

IMO this is a BUG that needs to be fixed.  I will report it.

Thanks for reviewing Joe and Yes, VERY confusing behavior, like Auto Dims have there own set of spec's ignoring the Plan View Dim defaults, depending on which Plan View they were created in. Unexpected. Another thanks for taking your time to review. 

EDIT: "All dimensions should then be created using that Layer"

Auto Dims actually ARE created using that Layer, but their spec's don't re-inherit a new Plan Views Active Defaults or Anno Set spec's. Would be nice if they did but might be a heavy lift to program same.

It all depends on how you have your SPVs set up.

Mine are set so the SPV drives annotation set which drives the Dimension defaults and the layer set. Thus I avoid the default switching around like you're having.

As others have said before, the annotation set is probably redundant, but I haven't convinced myself of that just yet...

25 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

If you have an Annoset in use that specifies a specific Layer in the Dimensions Default:

• All dimensions should then be created using that Layer

They will, if it's all structured properly. That's exactly how mine behave.

The Dimension Default has to also specify a specific, separate layer.

1 minute ago, Chrisb222 said:

Mine are set so the SPV drives annotation set which drives the Dimension defaults and the layer set. Thus I avoid the default switching around like you're having.

As others have said before, the annotation set is probably redundant, but I haven't convinced myself of that just yet...

Not true. It all depends on which Plan View you use to generate your Auto Dims. That Auto Dim spec will then over ride your SPV setting for Auto Dims, until Auto Dims are re-generated in that SPV. Try it, as the video above illustrates.

2 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Chris,  

This is true for all dimensions except "Automatic Dimensions".  Check it carfully.

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Chris,  

This is true for all dimensions except "Automatic Dimensions".  Check it carfully.

Yeah this is the issue and question at hand. All other dims are driven through SPV's as you've shown but Auto Dims behave differently as I've tried to illustrate in the video above.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Not true. It all depends on which Plan View you use to generate your Auto Dims. That Auto Dim spec will then over ride your SPV setting for Auto Dims, until Auto Dims are re-generated in that SPV. Try it, as the video above illustrates.

Nope. I just did try it. I tested it thoroughly when setting up my template.

I just hit Auto dims on a plan with no dimensions. When I switch between 1/8", 1/4", and Plot Plan SPVs, the dimensions all change to what I designed them to, and back again as I switch back and forth between views.

Just now, Chrisb222 said:

Nope. I just did try it. I tested it thoroughly when setting up my template.

I just hit Auto dims on a plan with no dimensions. When I switch between 1/8", 1/4", and Plot Plan SPVs, the dimensions all change to what I designed them to, and back again as I switch back and forth between views.

Hmmm, why is the behavior I illustrated so much different? Do your Auto Dims not inherit their defaults from the original Auto Dim defaults as it does on my computer? Or are you hitting the Auto Dim button in each Plan View to change the Auto Dims? I must be missing something because my SPV's are all set up correctly but see the behavior in the video above. Curious Chris, did you watch video? What might I be missing?

8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Chris,

Auto Dims are always created on the "Dimensions, Automatic" Layer instead of the Layer in the Active Defaults.

Correct. I overlooked that we were talking about Automatic dimensions (didn't watch the second video)

However, I still control the line style, weight, color, and the text style and size of Auto dims using controls on the Auto Dimensions layer, which is specific to each layer set.

The only thing I can't control is the arrow type and size, which is mildly frustrating.

1413666312_NODIMS.thumb.png.190b078eeb8987c7a2e6e1444e2fead5.png

1:4 DIMS.png

1245362544_18DIMS.thumb.png.0d96db6b542b6f3e7b7cdcff14115ad0.png

PLOT.thumb.png.02f67063e2bc3ad65cb4e6828fabe154.png

I created those dims on the Plot Plan SPV, so it did adopt the large arrows, which carried over on the other views. 

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hmmm, why is the behavior I illustrated so much different? Do your Auto Dims not inherit their defaults from the original Auto Dim defaults as it does on my computer? Or are you hitting the Auto Dim button in each Plan View to change the Auto Dims? I must be missing something because my SPV's are all set up correctly but see the behavior in the video above. Curious Chris, did you watch video? What might I be missing?

Larry,

I believe Chris may be using a Layer Set that has a different Text Style for the "Dimensions, Automatic" layer.  That would account for the text size.  OTOH, I am relatively sure it won't account for the layer being anything different.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Did not know this.....but explains the behavior I'm seeing.

You can control the size, etc of the auto dims text, as well as the line size and color, using the Auto Dims layer set controls. Then at least those attributes will switch with your plan views.

If you can live with a static arrow, that will solve your issue.

9 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

You can control the size, etc of the auto dims text, as well as the line size and color, using the Auto Dims layer set controls. Then at least those attributes will switch with your plan views.

If you can live with a static arrow, that will solve your issue.

Text style doesn't change the size of the numbers in the dims on my computer. Not really sure what "Auto Dims Text" might even effect? Dimension text? Maybe leading text? Trailing text? Nope. What is "auto dims text" and what does it control? Does it control the Dim Number size on your computer?