Network User Library in X11

YoderW

I work in an office setting with two coworkers, and we are trying to figure out a way to have one shared User Library. Our current setup has one computer hosting all of our project files, with each of our individual computers having remote access to the file directory. Our computers have Chief set up individually, with our own libraries and data directories currently. Our primary desire is to share the libraries we've each created for materials and color swatches, as well as custom models. We do work for 40-50 facilities, and they like to change up their materials and colors relatively often, so keeping all of it coordinated and organized can be difficult. 

Our desire is to have a shared User Library on the host computer that we all have access to, that will update itself without us having to constantly export and import the libraries for each other. Kind of like how Chief will automatically check for updates to the library catalogs you can download from the website. This way if one of us creates new items in our own library, it will update for everyone.

I've searched Google and the forums multiple times over the last couple days and have found that it should be possible, but the "solutions" are either for a much older version of Chief, the people involved don't describe how they set it up, or they use an extra 3rd-party application to help. Our company is extremely strict about what we install on our machines, so we can't guarantee they would approve a small program we download from what they may consider to be a questionable site. The specific solution i'm thinking of was set up for OneDrive, too, so i'm not sure it would even work for us. OneDrive is a potential option, but again, we'd like to avoid the extra programs involved in that solution. Surely there should be a way to set this up with Chief alone by now? I tried creating a folder on our shared drive and redirecting my own User Library there, but it didn't update itself when I scanned after having a coworker make a change to one of the libraries I had created and re-export it to said folder. 

Thanks in advance!

I use three systems, with all the library items in DropBox. This works flawlessly as long as A} the preferences in all three machines point to the correct folder, and B} this is the kicker, the files are not open on multiple machines at once. But I'm assuming you work simultaneously.

I recall at the Users' meeting that networking is now possible, so I'd give tech support a call and see what they recommend.