Deck Posts with Skillion Roof

OnlineBuilder2

I've never figured this out. When I put a skillion/sloping roof over a deck, the posts never reach to the top. I've tried everything. I usually do them to the top rail only, then add a full height post made from a soffit, but it takes time. There must be a way it does it automatically. Anyone know?

2078830038_deckposts.thumb.jpg.6dd1e5b4c765094dda72404e22809b9c.jpg

It seems there is a bit of a glitch with doing a railing that way.  You can force it to work if the configuration is similar to what you originally posted with a single center post in the end wall rail. Mine are set to " Post to Ceiling" but you will need to make the side walls (railings) control the corner posts by manipulating the corners with the "Wall Layer Intersections" or the "Through Wall at Start/ End" settings.

Play with it a bit and if you find that the end wall railing will not work with any thing other than a center post please send it in as a bug.

Here is a view with the side walls controlling the corner posts and the problem of the end wall with multiple posts but for some reason a single in the center seems to work ok.

You can reference this thread if you send this in to tech.

Railing Bug.jpg

I've used this to with odd newel spacings, tried it two ways. Either may be easier than one post at a time (still a workaround though).

In one case-the long run of posts is an open railing, set as post to rail, no top or bottom rail, Structure is baloon through ceiling, and height set to go as far as needed. The balusters in that are a symbol.

The second one, which I like better-first make the tall posts as above, convert to symbol, then replace that with the side rail.

In both cases the side rails are No Post.

What I like about that is it's easier to match the correct height and spacing for the posts to whatever you want. Still a workaround.

post work around.png

posts.plan