Best Way To Raise/Lower Entire 2 Story Building?

HumbleChief

On 3/28/2019 at 6:09 AM, HumbleChief said:

Figured it out. Floor 1 does not, turns out, have to be at 0". Most of my confusion comes from the nature of the structure dbx but if the floor and ceiling of the foundation room are both set to 36" it lowers the floor above by 36" to 61". Then moving up to the second floor and raising the floor 36" which raises the ceiling of the first floor, then moving up to the roof planes and raising them 36" completes the raising of the entire building.

All of this ignores the absolute insanity of the foundation dbx that assumes one is in the 'room' of a mono slab foundation (as if that were somehow possible in real life)  that shows a 96" high ceiling, again in the 'room' of a mono slab? That basic craziness within Chief will never end but it's possible to raise the entire height of a mono slab building with the proper order of things...

foundation dbx.png

Hey Kelly, feel you on this but there's an order of steps outlined above that works but the order at least for me is important. If the post above is not clear what I did was raise the foundation floor by 36" (leaving the original house at 0" elevation). This made the first floor above too short. To raise that ceiling I went to the second floor above and raised that floor and it seemed to work OK. To lower the floors perhaps the same steps might work in reverse. Foundation first to desired height, then second floor to adjust first floor ceiling height.

32 minutes ago, KellySantaRosa said:

Am I correct that CA won't let you select all the rooms on one floor and edit their heights/properties with one dialog box?

True but you can turn the floor into one room by temporarily changing all partition walls no room definition, make your change then make put back room definition.

14 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

True but you can turn the floor into one room by temporarily changing all partition walls no room definition, make your change then make put back room definition.

Hmm...never thought of that. Do you think that might work better than matching properties?

18 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hmm...never thought of that. Do you think that might work better than matching properties?

Well match properties using Rooms doesn't allow you to change the structure. I marquis select the walls which get most if not all so pretty easy.

37 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Well match properties using Rooms doesn't allow you to change the structure.

Are you sure? Seems I've used that tool for same many times. There's a check box for ceiling structure, ceiling height, floor structure, floor height. Always question my techniuqes but seems to work from my experience.

Created a test second floor, changed the floor structure in 1 of 3 rooms from 11 7/8" TJI to 9 1/2" TJI, locked the bottom of the floor to maintain the first floor height. Went to match properties and selected floor height/structure ceiling height/structure and then matched other rooms. Works great. Just an FYI for future...

1 hour ago, solver said:

Object Eyedropper will propagate structure changes.

Tried it. Faster, better method me thinks. Thank Eric.

I'm wondering does using the Object Eyedropper replicate ALL of the match property selections as if 'select all' were chosen in the match props dbx?

2 hours ago, glennw said:

Larry,

When the Object Eyedropper tool is active and you select a room, a Select Properties to Paint tool becomes available in the Edit toolbar.

Select the properties you want to paint.

Ah I see Glenn, looks like another way to 'match properties' but I like it better,

• 4 years later...

While I'm Drawing a Structure that will have an 8' Basement + 2 full Stories but the Bottom of the Foundation will only be -3.5 below Grade and the 1st floor will be raised accordingly, See Photo Attached (Typical  Raised Colonial) the System would not allow me to raise 1st floor height from 0" only on a per Room Basis. but than When I do the Elevations it's Totally off, Any way to raise 1st floor Platform or any Other Solution to this Issue?

Front.jpg

Hi all, it’s a bit late but I would do it this way. Depending if I am lowering the floor ceiling height or expanding it ? I would group select the roof planes and set them to the new height level. Then edit the floor defaults (not individual room defaults) first. Then see what happens in 3D and make any needed adjustments to the model.

Of course after reviewing this excellent video from a little while back to see how CA works with floor ceiling height defaults.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5434/setting-second-floor-defaults.html