New computer system

Adam_Gibson

My old system:

Win 10 Pro; i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs); 16GB RAM; GeForce GTX1060 6GB; 500GB SSD

My new system: 

Win 10 Pro; i7-8700 CPU @ 3.70GHz (12 CPUs); 32GB RAM; GeForce RTX2080 8GB GDDR6; 500GB SSD

Not a huge difference as far as I can tell. Just thought I'd put it out there. 

OP, that original rig had plenty of specs, I doubt you'll notice a marked difference between the two particularly in Chief.  Biggest update you might be able to do (if not in already) is upgrade to m.2 SSD.

@Rich_Winsor, I too build my own rigs and keep Win7 primarily to keep using older programs.  Just recently built a new one as I was beginning to have mobo or HDD errors.  If you're planning on building another one get a board with an m.2 socket.  It was difficult getting it going but it is almost ridiculous how quickly AutoCAD, Chief and QB will open.

• Upvote 1

Adam, what MOBO are you running?  It surely supports PCIe.  There are PCIe to m.2 adapter cards that "can" function as boot drives with nearly the same speed as a native m.2 slot.  I put the quotes in there as some OS and MOBO cannot boot through PCIe.  However, in my limited reading up on Windows 10, it seems that OS has drivers built-in to permit that type of booting.

1 minute ago, Adam_Gibson said:

I just got that in a 1TB and I love it!!! Very Happy!

Thanks to all the help I got from my fellow Chiefers on this forum

That's it.  Just to temper some expectations though: you already have a very fast machine, the m.2 drive is about 6X faster than a SATA SSD (3500 MB/s R/W to 530 MB/s), but in "real world" terms you probably won't notice it quite as much.

Also, Carmel Hill, that will be a top shelf machine for years to come.  I'd bump to 32GB RAM if your budget allows.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

These are the specs on my next rig at PCPartpicker.com.   But I'm waiting the new 3rd gen Threadripper due out in August. I'm going to add that m.2 type slot on the motherboard onto my list.

image.png

From what I've seen, the sweet spot for a balance of memory speed and price is around 3000/3200.  The video below shows some telling benchmarks:

That 4400 memory might be a bit faster, but you could probably save a couple hundred dollars and get a 2080 card.

1 hour ago, Adam_Gibson said:

Asus PRIME H370M-PLUS/CSM LGA1151/ Inte

It's not a high end board but good enough and gets good reviews

1 hour ago, Adam_Gibson said:

You mean rather than running cables to an SSD, I'd actually purchase an m.2 drive, plug it into a PCIe slot, clone it, and have a faster system?

No,  m2 drives go in their own m2 Slot , in the case of your MB it actually has 2 , a PCIe m2 (M-Key) and a Combo (M+B Key?) PCie/SATA port looking at the Specs

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-H370M-PLUS-CSM/specifications/

you would need a PCIe Riser card to use an m2 drive in a PCIe Slot....I use one as my MB ony has one m2 slot.

1 hour ago, madcowscarnival said:

Yes, exactly that.*

* - enthusiastic caveat here: you will have to clone your boot drive, but the software from Samsung is very straightforward.

Unfortunately in my experience the Samsung Software does not always produce a Bootable system.....so I always use Macrium Reflect Free to Clone my Drives.

M.

image.thumb.png.5491eb152ff10a394edd71d7c49c63e3.png

• Upvote 1