Dynamic Reference

CUJojo

You prepare your plans and insert all your details in a layout.  Get all your call outs correct, then things get added/changed and your page numbering changed.  How do you manage revising all the call outs?  Have you found a way to dynamically link a call out to a detail so that when the page numbering does change, you are not having to hunt for those call outs to manually change.  Can you share your ideas or what you've done to help manage this issue?

I think this is about as close as you are going to get until Chief gives us the dedicated tool we need.

Even if you find this works for you please take a moment and put your thoughts into the suggestion forum.

The first thing I do when starting on the layout is to populate my entire drawing set with plan views, cross sections, elevations and details.  I have a checklist I go through to make sure I know ahead of time how many sheets I need and what will be on them, and I populate them with "placeholder" drawings of the plan or details even though they may need a lot of work.  I take my time doing this, and it helps organize my workflow.  As I work through my checklist, the layout gradually is completed.  The very last thing on my checklist is to number all my callouts.  I very rarely have to add sheets after this point;  more often than not I am removing sheets before I get here.