PBR'ing Give it Some Life

TheKitchenAbode

8 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Thanks Scott.

And for those Dog Lovers.

807932036_KitchenPersonsandKittyandDog.thumb.png.cf2a4d5fde9120333547a629fc9e5076.png

Your stainless steel and those seat cushions are just amazing. 

My 24hr raytraces don’t even come close to your PBR’s! 

I even watched all of RenéRabbits’s PBR session that Scott hosted the other day....

12 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Your stainless steel and those seat cushions are just amazing. 

My 24hr raytraces don’t even come close to your PBR’s! 

I even watched all of RenéRabbits’s PBR session that Scott hosted the other day....

Thanks Michael. The techniques I am using are very similar to those used and demonstrated by Rene in Scotts PBR session. Rene did a great job highlighting the important techniques concerning lighting and material properties that can be used to improve the quality of PBR output. There is another aspect to all of this that is very difficult to explain/describe in absolute terms. How a material looks is not just in accordance to it's property settings, it's appearance is directly tied to the intensity and type of light(direct/indirect) that it is exposed to. For example, a material that you give a level of reflectivity to can only reflect if there is light striking it at the proper intensity and angle to be reflected, when setting a materials reflectivity you are really only giving it the ability to reflect. The same holds true for all of the other material property settings, the potential to appear rough, the potential to appear a certain color the potential to exhibit ambient occlusion.

This is why it is so important to first get your lighting properly set and balanced, each type of light sun, spot or point contributes varying degrees of direct and indirect light. Only once you are satisfied with the overall lighting should you then start reviewing the materials and adjust their properties so they appear proper under those lighting conditions. It must also be recognized that CA's PBR feature is not as sophisticated as other dedicated PBR programs so there is a limit as to how far you can push your material properties to get the look you want. More sophisticated programs allow you to force a material to appear a certain way regardless of what the lighting dictates. It's what we do in Photoshop, the pic straight out of the camera often looks dull/flat so in Photoshop we crank up the color saturation, adjust the exposure and gamma, add some sharpening and more, the resulting pic is now often greater than what real life would dictate it to be. Achieving a level of this is not impossible in CA's PBR but it's very challenging as it does not have these built-in control features.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1