Any way to make these dashed?

Richard_Morrison

A work around solution would be to

-draw a poly line box around what you want to be dashed,

-open the box and in X11, go to the Fill Style tab and select the hatch setting and give it the angle and scale. Maybe 45 degrees at 4" width

-make the color white and check the box to have a transparent background.

-you will then probably want to make the line weight in the FillStyle something a little bigger so the dashes are little more substantial. Something like 15 should do it

-go to the Line Style tab and make the line style blank for the boarder of the box to disappear

Now where ever that box is located on the plan everything behind or underneath it will be dashed. You might have to turn on line weights to actually see the effect. This might not be the answer you're looking for but I thought it might help solve the immediate issue

8 minutes ago, misterwiley said:

A work around solution would be to

-draw a poly line box around what you want to be dashed,

-open the box and in X11, go to the Fill Style tab and select the hatch setting and give it the angle and scale. Maybe 45 degrees at 4" width

-make the color white and check the box to have a transparent background.

-you will then probably want to make the line weight in the FillStyle something a little bigger so the dashes are little more substantial. Something like 15 should do it

-go to the Line Style tab and make the line style blank for the boarder of the box to disappear

Now where ever that box is located on the plan everything behind or underneath it will be dashed. You might have to turn on line weights to actually see the effect. This might not be the answer you're looking for but I thought it might help solve the immediate issue

You mean kinda like this? (See especially post #3): http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?26332-Foundations-below-grade Maybe, but I was hoping for something less of a workaround.

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I am trying to change the garden window 2D block and the sink block to a dashed line type. They are both currently on a dashed layer. I can find no way to explode these or to put these on a "By Layer" setting. Any way to do this short of a View to CAD approach?

230613084_Needtobedashed.thumb.png.f4b18ab18e06d71927e7792de23425e5.png

At least with the Sink , as I tested it ( Pic Below), you can insert the CAD Block, (via CBM) , explode it then change the Line Style and Colour etc for everything (marquee select) , then block it again.....however if you assign it back to the Symbol , that seems to cause the lines to go solid again, so just put the CAD Block over the symbol instead for plan views.... may need to adjust the Drawing Order, I didn't below...

image.thumb.png.ea3e23888549b1ed7fd2715bd8951912.png

M.

35 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

At least with the Sink , as I tested it ( Pic Below), you can insert the CAD Block, (via CBM) , explode it then change the Line Style and Colour etc for everything (marquee select) , then block it again.....however if you assign it back to the Symbol , that seems to cause the lines to go solid again, so just put the CAD Block over the symbol instead for plan views.... may need to adjust the Drawing Order, I didn't below...

image.thumb.png.ea3e23888549b1ed7fd2715bd8951912.png

M.

Thank, Mick! Just changing the block to "By Layer" works. (If the layer has a dashed linetype.)

30 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Thank, Mick! Just changing the block to "By Layer" works. (If the layer has a dashed linetype.)

so you just changed the Symbol to the Dashed Line Layer ?  that seems to work too actually.....thx.

2D cad blocks do not recognize line styles but you can always use individual line segments to build a cad block.  One I did recently was a three bladed ceiling fan to show the diameter and clearance as well as relocate the center of the insertion point.

Three Bladed Fan.JPG

54 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

2D cad blocks do not recognize line styles but you can always use individual line segments to build a cad block.  One I did recently was a three bladed ceiling fan to show the diameter and clearance as well as relocate the center of the insertion point.

Three Bladed Fan.JPG

Yes, they do, if you select "By Block Layer" for Line/Fill style in the CAD Block Specification, rather than "By Object." This can be quite useful.

49 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Yes, they do, if you select "By Block Layer" for Line/Fill style in the CAD Block Specification, rather than "By Object." This can be quite useful.

Yes that can be quite useful for some situations but still technically correct that the line styles you use to draw your cad bloc are not recognized even if you can override that and reassign a line style it is still only one single line style right ?

So until chief allows us to have 2D cad blocks with line styles recognition we are limited to only one straight line style for 2D cad blocks unless I am not understanding what you are up to.

It seems Mick used an inserted cad block and did not assign it to the symbol.  So if you take the time to use line segments you can assign it to the symbol and put it in your user library.

In the example, I was looking for a symbol (in this case, a garden window with a generated 2D block, and a sink placed in a cabinet) which normally live with continuous lines, to have a dashed linetype for a demo plan. When a 2D SUB-symbol is embedded in a 3D object, there is no way to directly explode its 2D CAD block and change linetypes, without creating a whole new library part. For a demo plan, this would be overkill.

In this case, Mick reminded me that I could just insert the 2D symbol BY ITSELF. As a standalone 2D block, you can change its linetype by placing it on a different layer, as long as "Linetype/Fill by Layer" is selected. Then, I just moved the newly placed dashed symbols over the continuous linetype symbols. It's a good tip, I think.

Demo plan.png

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

It seems Mick used an inserted cad block and did not assign it to the symbol.  So if you take the time to use line segments you can assign it to the symbol and put it in your user library.

Yes 1st time around , I just slide the CAD Block over the Symbol..snapped to it , as each time I assigned it back to the Symbol the dashed linetype was overridden to solid , but after playing with it some more , I found I was able to place a Sink outside the cabinet, change it to a new Dashed line style layer and then insert/drag it into the cabinet instead.

M.

image.thumb.png.2d10fb01573ebbafced27966621fdc2b.png  image.thumb.png.658d680faf61a732f3b537577ce39ed2.png