X11 Final Release In Digital Locker? Glass House Ref View, Other Issues?

HumbleChief

I'm assuming this is the final release now in our digital lockers? If so I'm curious about a couple things. Is the glass house reference layer meant to have no discernable lines like the regular glass house version does? Am I missing a setting? Looks like the structure dbx has been fixed and also noticed the larger lines in the menu bars in this release. Not sure I'm a fan.

26 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Talking about this view. There doesn't seem to be any controls for the glass house lines, like in the main plan file. REALLY want that option but it was left out, perhaps intentionally?

glass house 1.png

glass house 2.png

glass house 3.png

Easy enough to get what you want now. Open the New plan first, make that glass house so you have control, then use the existing for reference and you can change view type for that. Here's a quickie-not sure I picked the right files but you get the idea :)

Glass house.png

7 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Easy enough to get what you want now. Open the New plan first, make that glass house so you have control, then use the existing for reference and you can change view type for that. Here's a quickie-not sure I picked the right files but you get the idea :)

Glass house.png

Thanks Mark, but not what I want at all. The glass house view overlays the standard view with no way to move the glass house view to the back, nor the standard view to the front. Curious as to why the feature was implemented in its current crippled state with no line control for the ref set?

13 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The glass house view overlays the standard view with no way to move the glass house view to the back, nor the standard view to the front.

Standard and glass can be reversed but not sure that's where you want to go either. Looks like you want both glass house?

On this one with Glass house in back and standard to front the glass house starts to look more like a watercolor since both structures overlap there. Guess it has it's uses  though.

Glass house in back.png

6 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Standard and glass can be reversed but not sure that's where you want to go either. Looks like you want both glass house?

On this one with Glass house in back and standard to front the glass house starts to look more like a watercolor since both structures overlap there. Guess it has it's uses  though.

Glass house in back.png

Curious how did you move the standard view to the front?

12 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

You have full control of the view type of the plan you start with. First take standard, the add reference as standard, switch original to glass. 

I think we're doing two different things. I can't get any combination of standard/glass/ref sets to look anything like your last pic and have no option to move the ref sets nor the original front or back... Need another approach, or simply stop beating my head against the wall.

Dose anyone else use this feature? How please?

Larry- attached zip with 3 plans and two cameras. To get what you want you need to have the camera in the AS BUILT, reference the addtion. Once referenced change the camera view you are in to glass house, which you can do since it is NOT the referenced plan.

One view has references a complete structure (as built and addition), another view has layers of the referenced plan turned off amd am extra roof plane. The camera is ALWAYS in the as built plan.

Glass house.zip

with complete as built.png

with layers off.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Thank you very much Mark - really appreciate your time but what if I want just the opposite look? Where the addition is glass house and not the as-built/. Which is the look I'm after? Ran into a bug will continue shortly...

That was the first one I showed you but you said you wanted it reversed!!

The principal is exactly the same.

Place the camera in the plan that you want to be glass, reference the other.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MarkMc said:

oh124698920_Additionglass.thumb.png.4056029ee16b72abbba01ce808ed8ce0.png

Not sure if the "oh" means, "Here ya go, told ya so," or "Yeah you're right, if you use this method the glass house over writes the standard view and looks crummy." ..and this method also doesn't use the glass house ref set, at all. Either way your help is not unappreciated but that last look is actually the problem, not the solution...

It's also pretty easy to see that no one else sees this as important so I'll either use it in its crippled form or not at all. Not expecting Chief to change it.

Was checking the new X11 feature video and it shows the same glass house over the top of a standard view. Must be what was intended? They don't however show the glass house ref set, without line control, used in any way I could see...wonder what it's for?

28 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

if you use this method the glass house over writes the standard view and looks crummy."

Unless you move a few things to another layer and then turn layers off. Easiest to use a save as plan for the remodel.

1869949774_Layersturnedoff.thumb.png.e2ee4cc43f2026ae1393e4922dae3383.png

To date I've mostly needed this for interiors and fiddling is required no matter what they do with the program unless it reads minds. Would be nice to have the reference glass house work. Like I said at the start-till you get what you want .

I've finally decided that I'd rather get what I want than be right.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, thanks Mark, been with Chief long enough to know they are not designing the program for the way I work but am still a bit baffled at the reason for that glass house ref set? Literally cannot find a use for it. Plenty of ways to work around its deficiencies, as there are for many of Chief's deficiencies, but seems it would be a killer tool with numerous uses, without much fiddling at all, if it had the same line control as the regular view glass house does. And yes I've learned many, many ways to get what I want from Chief, sometimes it's the long way around, and sometimes getting there's half the fun, other times I wish the program did read my mind...:P

EDIT: and just think of the possibilities if all the other render techniques, with complete options, were available? Tech drawing? Water colors? Could be really sweet...