X-11 Room Numbers

Toby-PKBLDR

I recall some discussion of this topic a while ago but discovered a new, at least to me, option on the Room Finish Schedule; a Room Number column. It creates a room number with a R precedent. Seems excellent but; how do I display the Room Number, preceded by the R, in the room it is referencing? If it only appears in the Schedule what is it’s functionality? I’d love to be able to use this for room labels on plans when they get very busy with dimensions, notes, call-outs, and all that other stuff cluttering up the linen closet at the end of a hall.

Am I missing something, as usual?

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Toby-PKBLDR said:

Seems excellent but; how do I display the Room Number, preceded by the R, in the room it is referencing? I

It's actually a schedule number- to figure that out open the Text Macro Management with the room selected, in the TMM select object properties and look through the list.

In any case-I tried a few things but schedule numbers are a bit different so referenced macro did not work. BUT what did work was placing %schedule_number% in the room label :) BUT that screws up the standard room name in the schedule. Will fiddle with that some more, maybe a way to get it all, don't know yet. Without having either the OIP or components I don't see a way around that, so far it's one or the other.

Room number into label.jpg

Thanks Mark, you saved me a bunch of fruitless fiddling around. Maybe Chief will make a checkbox to have the R#, Room Name, or both. If not, it really serves no purpose that I can see.

Thanks Joe, I've seen your Room Number Macro and used it on a commercial project but on Residential, folks expect a Room Name here.

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:53 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

I have a macro that can be placed in a Note to display the number.  Actually the Macro generates a number composed of the floor number followed by the schedule number without the "R".

I will post that macro tomorrow.

So Joe does that mean it is similar to:

Basement level 001, 002, etc.

Main Level 101, 102, etc.

2nd Floor 201, 202, etc. ?

I am assuming it can be entered in a Rich Text box as well?  I have one builder who wants this numbering scheme for their houses and have had to do it manually but a macro would be that much better if possible.

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

So Joe does that mean it is similar to:

Basement level 001, 002, etc.

Main Level 101, 102, etc.

2nd Floor 201, 202, etc. ?

I am assuming it can be entered in a Rich Text box as well?  I have one builder who wants this numbering scheme for their houses and have had to do it manually but a macro would be that much better if possible.

Yes to both,  I posted last year but I'm not sure.  I'm actually using it in a Rectangular Note with the number on the top and the room name on the bottom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Yes to both,  I posted last year but I'm not sure.  I'm actually using it in a Rectangular Note with the number on the top and the room name on the bottom.

THANKS JOE!

16 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Yes, just have a separate finish schedule for each floor.

Great that was super simple and works perfect. 

For this particular case that I am needing it for is it possible to do in a rich text box?  I cannot seem to get it to work in one.  I use it for one builder who has a very detailed finish plan they keep on site during the finishes phase and we have callouts for all of the walls.  We use a symbol that calls out the different walls and the idea is that we can use the room number, name, and interior square footage placed in the middle of this symbol.  Is that possible to tweak the macro or?

Thanks for taking the time to help out and to offer this macro.  If you could check your inbox I am interested in buying a few more from you when you have the opportunity.

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

For this particular case that I am needing it for is it possible to do in a rich text box?

Unfortunately there's a problem with Text and Rich Text because Chief is not reporting the text's "room.schedule_number" correctly.  It's just reporting that as "" (nil string).  This is a bug in Chief that would need to be fixed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rgardner said:

For this particular case that I am needing it for is it possible to do in a rich text box?  I cannot seem to get it to work in one.

There are a handful of different custom text macro solutions that could be used and that I would be happy to write for a fee, but for your particular use case, you don't really even need any custom macros. Simply create a text box that looks like this...

#%room.schedule_number%

%room.name%

%room.internal_area% sq ft

In order to get the floor number you just need to either change the prefix in the schedule to the appropriate number for the floor it represents or you could also optionally use %floor_number% as the prefix which would work for all floors, but you would need to place each schedule on the appropriate floor for that to work correctly. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

There are a handful of different custom text macro solutions that could be used and that I would be happy to write for a fee, but for your particular use case, you don't really even need any custom macros. Simply create a text box that looks like this...

#%room.schedule_number%

%room.name%

In order to get the floor number you just need to either change the prefix in the schedule to the appropriate number for the floor it represents.  You could also optionally use %floor_number% as the prefix which would work for all floors, but you would need to place each schedule on the appropriate floor for that to work correctly. 

Thanks Michael.  This actually helps alot more and I think having three schedules broken apart by floor would not be an issue especially as I organize them this way anyways.  Thanks for the nudge in the right direction with this.

28 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

#%room.schedule_number%

%room.name%

In order to get the floor number you just need to either change the prefix in the schedule to the appropriate number for the floor it represents.  You could also optionally use %floor_number% as the prefix which would work for all floors, but you would need to place each schedule on the appropriate floor for that to work correctly. 

BTW as I am still trying to figure out macros and writing/tweaking the simple ones.  Is there a way to see all of the system macros?  I know there are the ones that come up when you click on the insert macro button in a text/label box but it seems like there is a short list there of the most common ones.  Is there a list in ruby that I can look at?  Or is it you just look for the property characteristics for different items and just list it the same?  How do you know to use a period to space vs. underscore?  I know lots of extra questions.  Trying to soak it all in from you guys!  Sure appreciate all your time and valuable input to the forum.

41 minutes ago, rgardner said:

BTW as I am still trying to figure out macros and writing/tweaking the simple ones.  Is there a way to see all of the system macros?  I know there are the ones that come up when you click on the insert macro button in a text/label box but it seems like there is a short list there of the most common ones.  Is there a list in ruby that I can look at?  Or is it you just look for the property characteristics for different items and just list it the same?  How do you know to use a period to space vs. underscore?  I know lots of extra questions.  Trying to soak it all in from you guys!  Sure appreciate all your time and valuable input to the forum.

Periods separate objects and methods.

Underscores are simply spaces in the name of a method  ----  spaces are not recognized as anything in Ruby

example:  owner.width.to_s

• owner = object  ----- identifies what object to examine
  • width = method  ----- get's the attribute width as a measurement
  • to_s = method  -----  converts the measurement to a string

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

#%room.schedule_number%

%room.name%

In order to get the floor number you just need to either change the prefix in the schedule to the appropriate number for the floor it represents or you could also optionally use %floor_number% as the prefix which would work for all floors, but you would need to place each schedule on the appropriate floor for that to work correctly. 

Michael,

Actually you can put the schedule anywhere, just set it up to include all floors.

Doug

11 hours ago, rgardner said:

Is there a way to see all of the system macros? 

That is a great question.  Not sure if Chief thinks they are top secret or if they just figure they are too boring to publish but it would be a great starting point for someone learning ruby as it is written in chief's special version.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:03 PM, Doug_N said:

Michael,

Actually you can put the schedule anywhere, just set it up to include all floors.

Doug

Give it a shot and you'll see what I mean.  If you're using %floor_number% as the prefix, the schedule has to be placed onto the current floor and include only rooms from that floor.  If you set the schedule to include all floors and place it on floor 1 for example, all the room numbers in that schedule will use 1 as the prefix and the numbers won't match whats being shown in your room labels themselves. 

On 6/6/2020 at 11:30 AM, rgardner said:

Is there a way to see all of the system macros?

Not sure what exactly you mean by system macros, but I assume you're talking about the available object attributes or name:value pairs.  You can access those using the OOB ObjectProperties macros provided by Chief.  Joe also posted some slightly modified versions of those macros here...

On 6/6/2020 at 11:22 PM, Chopsaw said:

That is a great question.  Not sure if Chief thinks they are top secret or if they just figure they are too boring to publish but it would be a great starting point for someone learning ruby as it is written in chief's special version.

Not sure what exactly you're referring to either Chop.  There's nothing special about the version of Ruby Chief is using.  They're currently using Ruby version 2.4.0.  What is it that you would like them to publish?

On 6/8/2020 at 11:02 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Give it a shot and you'll see what I mean.  If you're using %floor_number% as the prefix, the schedule has to be placed onto the current floor and include only rooms from that floor.  If you set the schedule to include all floors and place it on floor 1 for example, all the room numbers in that schedule will use 1 as the prefix and the numbers won't match whats being shown in your room labels themselves. 

OK Michael, 

Here is what I did, and what happened as a result.

I created a simple building with some rooms.  Added a second floor derived from the first floor.

Added a room schedule and simplified it to just show what we were interested in, including floor numbers and room numbers.

804978828_IncludeAllFloors.thumb.png.f1b6f467a132cbb58c77b1ca33de8104.png

Set up the schedule to include all floors

83605406_FirstFloorandSchedule.thumb.png.a818b7057144c4bea34029c85211c972.png

So here you can see that the first floor works fine. Just to be sure that the schedule and room notes were synced, I changed the description of one room to make sure that the schedule and rooms where synchronized.  I change the description of a second-floor room as well, and it seems that the second floor worked equally well even though the schedule is on the first floor.

153161254_SecondFloor.thumb.png.aa08cd314a2747284f7e27816c9d7346.png

9 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

OK Michael, 

I created a simple building with some rooms.  Added a second floor derived from the first floor.

Added a room schedule and simplified it to just show what we were interested in, including floor numbers and room numbers.

So here you can see that the first floor works fine. Just to be sure that the schedule and room notes were synced, I changed the description of one room to make sure that the schedule and rooms where synchronized.  I change the description of a second-floor room as well, and it seems that the second floor worked equally well even though the schedule is on the first floor.

The room numbers in your schedule don’t match the room numbers on your plan.

26 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Michael,

Here is the plan file, the numbers seem to line up to me.  Can you show me where they don't line up?

Doug

Untitled 1.zip

Away from my computer, but you can see everything you need to see in the screenshots you posted.  The method I spelled out doesn’t require any custom macros, doesn’t require putting the room number in the Name column, and would result in an accurate Room Number in the Number column.  Your example does not have an accurate room number in the Number column and results in a second room number with the name (presumably generated using a custom macro in the Default Room Label).  

I just find it totally undesirable to have room numbers simultaneously listed in 2 different fields and in 2 different locations in the room label, and even more undesirable to have the room number AFTER the room name. My suggestions above offered an easy way to solve these problems using nothing more than standard built in macros.  There are additional options with custom macros but I was just throwing out a quick and easy solution that didn’t require going that route.

I agree with you 100% Michael, and the only thing that I used where your suggested stock macros.  The only difference is how I handled the schedule and adding the floor number as part of the room number.

Doug

3 hours ago, Doug_N said:

OK Michael, 

Just to clarify I put my schedule in a Cad detail and it still worked as how Michael said it should.  But I did need to have three seperate schedules reflecting one with level 0 one with level 1 and the third with level 2 in order to get it to number correctly (along with preifx 0, 1, 2).