Layers bouncing around from one anno set to another

Michael_Gia

I'm in X11 although this was always kind of a problem.

Example:

You create a foundation anno set from your main 1/8" or 1/4" anno set ( let's call it the "parent" anno set)

You create new layers in the foundation anno set for dimensions, text and cad. (for obvious reasons)

Now, at random times your dimensions or text from the foundation anno set will switch to the back to the layer of the parent set.

So, you go back into your foundation anno set defaults and switch them back to their proper set, and then that also switches the text, cad and dimensions to the foundation layer even in the parent set! 

Anyone else ever notice this catastrophic and criminal ghost like activity from Chief?

1 hour ago, tommy1 said:

If you set up a specific anno set linked with a specific layer set with specific layers you won't have that problem. 

Unfortunately, I get that problem even though I have a specific anno set.

I think that it might be a bug that relates to any anno set that is created by copying an existing anno set. (just guessing)

Also might be related to the fact that I use the SAM method and these layers have gone through some changes over time from plan to plan.

I don't seem to get the problem when I create a "new" anno set, that is, I don't use the "make a copy" of an existing anno set.

It sounds to me like you might have a fundamental problem with regard to your understanding of annotation sets.  An Annotation Set is nothing more than a pre-set and pre-selected group of Active Defaults....that's all it is.  You can change your Active Defaults piecemeal or you can change them all at once using an Annotation Set.

Your Active Defaults (text, dimensions, callouts, notes, etc.) are each set to have very specific settings.  One of those settings is the layer that they are automatically placed on.  This layer is set specifically for each Active Default.  It doesn't matter which Annotation Set the Active Default is being used in.  It will always obey the layer you have set in that particular annotation object default. 

If you want your text to be placed onto a different layer in a different annotation set, you can't simply create a new Annotation Set and change the layer setting for your Active Default (Text in this case), you have to create a new Active Default as well. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Unfortunately, I get that problem even though I have a specific anno set.

I think that it might be a bug that relates to any anno set that is created by copying an existing anno set. (just guessing)

Also might be related to the fact that I use the SAM method and these layers have gone through some changes over time from plan to plan.

I don't seem to get the problem when I create a "new" anno set, that is, I don't use the "make a copy" of an existing anno set.

With so many changes in X11, I made all new anno sets and layer sets with the layers I want to use and am not having any problems with my views.

31 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It sounds to me like you might have a fundamental problem with regard to your understanding of annotation sets.  An Annotation Set is nothing more than a pre-set and pre-selected group of Active Defaults....that's all it is.  You can change your Active Defaults piecemeal or you can change them all at once using an Annotation Set.

Your Active Defaults (text, dimensions, callouts, notes, etc.) are each set to have very specific settings.  One of those settings is the layer that they are automatically placed on.  This layer is set specifically for each Active Default.  It doesn't matter which Annotation Set the Active Default is being used in.  It will always obey the layer you have set in that particular annotation object default. 

If you want your text to be placed onto a different layer in a different annotation set, you can't simply create a new Annotation Set and change the layer setting for your Active Default (Text in this case), you have to create a new Active Default as well. 

I'm probably not explaining myself clearly.

I do have a separate dimension default for each anno set. A foundation dimension default whose layer is "dimensions, foundation" and another dimension default, "dimensions, parent" whose layer is "parent" layer. 

When I change the dimension default in one anno set it changes in the other as well.

Anyway, I had to make a new dimension default from scratch and give it another name and create a new layer from scratch as well.

It works now.  I sent the plan in to support and they're looking at it.  Spent some time on the phone but they need more time.

My layer sets and defaults have become a spaghetti mess of a list.

I should start from scratch building off the X11 residential imperial template.

But, who's got time for that?