Stair Railing "Base Plate" or "Landing Tread"

Chrisb222

Hi,

I often finish a stair opening using a railing system where we install a 1x6 directly on the floor as a "base plate" (or some people call it a landing tread), then using a 4" newel post that sits atop this 1x6 plate.

I model this in Chief using a "Bottom Rail" that's a square 1x6 board, 0" from floor, but as you can see in the picture the newel post cuts this bottom rail everywhere there's a post. I want the 1x6 to show going continuously under the newel posts.

Anyone know how to automatically program the railing to do this, short of assembling it manually?

railing.thumb.png.62ea1abe5f8a4349a26929f8fd24bbb7.png

And while I'm at it, anyone know a way to get rid of the pesky point at the top of the stringer (see pic)? 

stringer.thumb.png.f6fa0b4f8a828cda3403610601f391ba.png

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Not auto -- but it only takes 1 minute.

I'm imagining drawing a p-solid and positioning using different elevation views.

Is that what you're suggesting? Or is there an easier way?

BTW, the pony wall railing is very awesome, thanks again.

9 minutes ago, solver said:

CAD Detail From View. Trace the stringer. Copy/Paste into your elevation. Convert to p-solid, set thickness and material. Turn off stringer supplied by stair.

Got it thanks. This is done once the stairs are never ever again going to be moved/resized, I take it....  you know, homeowners never do that. :P