Can The Default Templates Folder Be Re-Directed?

HumbleChief

No, not that I know of.  You don't have to use the Templates tool though.  New Plan From Template, New Layout From Template, and Save As Template are basically the exact same tool as Open Plan, Open Layout, and Save As except that they take you to the Templates folder you speak of and they also open the files as Untitled.  You can always just navigate to a different folder or even put a shortcut to a different folder right there in your Templates folder. 

58 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

...?

More explaining maybe needed Larry? .....

If you want the Default ones back .....YES...... Chief Stores them in the Programs folder too.....if you delete ( or rename) the Templates Folder in the DATA folder, on next start Chief will replace the Folder in DATA>Templates from Programs>Templates...

If you mean you corrupted your own Templates then no....hopefully you have a backup on an external USB or something...

M.

If I open Chief and select New Plan, it opens to my default Plan Template. If I select Templates>Save As Template I'm taken to Chief's default template folder under Documents>Chief Architect Premier X11 Data>Templates. I then need to navigate out of there to my custom Templates folder.

I would like to set up my Template Folder as the default so I am taken there directly after choosing Templates>Save As Template. Can it be done?

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

More explaining maybe needed Larry? .....

If you want the Default ones back .....YES...... Chief Stores them in the Programs folder too.....if you delete ( or rename) the Templates Folder in the DATA folder, on next start Chief will replace the Folder in DATA>Templates from Programs>Templates...

If you mean you corrupted your own Templates then no....hopefully you have a backup on an external USB or something...

M.

See explanation above. Just want to set a custom Templates location as the default instead of Chief's default Documents>Chief Architect Premier X11 Data>Templates.

Post title needs work?

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

If I open Chief and select New Plan, it opens to my default Plan Template. If I select Templates>Save As Template I'm taken to Chief's default template folder under Documents>Chief Architect Premier X11 Data>Templates. I then need to navigate out of there to my custom Templates folder.

I would like to set up my Template Folder as the default so I am taken there directly after choosing Templates>Save As Template. Can it be done?

Put your Template Folder inside Chief's Template Folder ...at least that is what I do....

M.

Larry,

You could come at this from the other way.

Why not use Chiefs default templates folder as your main custom templates storage folder.

Move all of Chiefs standard template plans to another folder that you can navigate to when and if needed.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Larry,

You could come at this from the other way.

Why not use Chiefs default templates folder as your main custom templates storage folder.

Move all of Chiefs standard template plans to another folder that you can navigate to when and if needed.

Still a good idea but I don't think I can get DropBox to point at the My Documents/Chief folder? I should explore that....

OK, please do not try this at home. Documents is computer specific and can be re-located to DropBox but Chief will still not see it because Chief defaults to where it defaults - period - and cannot/will not see any other location.

Now if you're stupid enough to redirect your entire DropBox folder to my docs, then run out of disk space as you try and reverse the operation, you're pretty much stuck with a useless new Doc folder which may even cause some terminal problems if a user forgets that that folder contains their DropBox files.

Chief still defaults to a Doc folder even though it's no longer visible in the explorer tree.

Experiment over. Will click a couple more times as needed.

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

OK, please do not try this at home. Documents is computer specific and can be re-located to DropBox but Chief will still not see it because Chief defaults to where it defaults - period - and cannot/will not see any other location.

Not quite sure what you mean here Larry as the Data Folder can be put anywhere you want via Prefs.>General>Folders , you just need to point it where ever you want it...via the Browse Button.

Now if you're stupid enough to redirect your entire DropBox folder to my docs, then run out of disk space as you try and reverse the operation, you're pretty much stuck with a useless new Doc folder which may even cause some terminal problems if a user forgets that that folder contains their DropBox files.

Chief still defaults to a Doc folder even though it's no longer visible in the explorer tree.

Personally I backup My Chief Data Folder to a separate HDD with Syncback Free each night and that Folder is backed up/sync'd to Dropbox, I do it this way as a don't like that Dropbox uses the actual Data Folder , as it's Folder , unlike Google Drive which uses a Copy ( I believe )

https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html

Experiment over. Will click a couple more times as needed.

There is a KB article on using Cloud Services too , not sure how useful it is though?

M.

8 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Eric, way above my pay grade but appreciate the help as always...

If you prefer a GUI to do the same, I would recommend this shell extension http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html and there are some others that do the same.  

It's then just right click on the source folder and select 'Pick Link Source' and then on the target folder right click and "Drop as junction" or symbolic link (there is a difference but for this purpose the result is similar although the latter will prompt for elevation)

The problem still remains. Folder can be re-located, redirected, re- a bunch of stuff but Chief still points to the same default location for its templates. I have more than one computer and each one needs its own redirection and each one needs to synch to the same folder and Chief needs to point to it for its templates. This may be possible (and even down right easy for some) but it's way too complex for me and I already completely messed up my Docs folder on my laptop. It's a couple clicks to get to my Templates Folder that is shared on DropBox and was just hoping Chief had a way to select which folder for my Templates like it does with so many other defaults. It's not a real huge issue, was just hoping to save a click or two...

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

I just copied the Chief Data folder to my Dropbox location.  Then I set that location in Preferences.

Then whenever I open a template that's where Chief looks for it.

I don't think there's a problem locating Templates that currently exist, nor a problem copying the data folder. Its the simple Save As Template that seems to point only to Chief's Default Folder. I would like to change folder that but there's no method that I can find within Chief to do so - easily...

template folder 1.png

Larry,

It only works if you change the "My Data Folder".

There's currently no way to change just the "Templates" Folder.

Yes, you will need to copy the old data folder to the new location before change the Preference.  The old data folder will still exist but it will not be accessed.  Note that making this change will effect all the subfolders as well and they will be synced across all your systems via Dropbox.

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

It only works if you change the "My Data Folder".

There's currently no way to change just the "Templates" Folder.

Yes, you will need to copy the old data folder to the new location first.

Ah yes, I think it will be that simple (and was probably already suggested but my thick skull and all) . Need to ensure toolbars etc. gets copied?

29 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Resetting the Data Folder Location Gets me this warning. Should probably make some backups of some kind...

template folder 2.png

I'd make a copy of the Data Folder 1st.... while Chief is Closed...then move it.... and then just overwrite the new location , with the backup you just made.

( Chief likely just leaves old folder where it was but this way is saver till you know for sure)

I think you get the warning as Chief can't move it's own files that are in use while it is Open...

Copying the whole Data Folder ensure Toolbars, textures etc etc also are copied

Put your Templates in the Chief Templates Folder and you are done..... ( I made a folder called CA DEFAULT for the OOB Templates and moved them into it for backup)

Just now, Kbird1 said:

I'd make a copy of the Data Folder 1st.... while Chief is Closed...then move it.... and then just overwrite the new location , with the backup you just made.

I think you get the warning as Chief can't move it's own files that are in use while it is Open...

Thanks Mick. Seems like I've done this before and am surprised how little I know about computers. I created a new Folder in DropBox to point the My Data Folder in Preferences to: but have to have C:\Users\Larry\ in the path instead of a simple path like C:\DropBox\ New Data Folder Location. As soon as C:\Users\Larry\ is altered the path becomes invalid. Really don't want the new folder in C:\Users\Larry\ but seem to have no choice. Hmmm...

Better get some work done and tackle this later.