nVisionTEKBIM

Wall Fill Patterns & Wall Legends

For anyone using a wall legend, what is your method of distinguishing wall types? In the past I've tried wall tags, which I later found to be to repetitive and unnecessary when most walls in residential construction are simple and only a handful of types. I now show different patterns or shades, but am open to new ideas from others.

Most of the examples Chief provides for wall legends are for colored prints. Most builders print in B&W, so color filled walls would be useless.

In existing/demo plans, I show demo walls with a wall hatch. In the proposed plan, I show existing walls using the wall hatch. I don't use different colored walls for the reason you mention.

I get that for demo and existing walls, but I meant more so for all of the different new walls. I wish Chief would allow background AND foreground patterns. That would allow me to keep walls shaded but also have different foreground patterns.

At 1/4" scale B&W, you really have to try hard to make the different wall types distinguishable.

Are you talking about plan views or the Wall Schedule, or both is my guess?

You can do what you want in plan view using the Wall Hatch tool.

In the example below the Wall Hatch tool is used to create the fill on the right while the over hatching is part of the wall definition.

Wall Hatching has some smarts as it moves and stretches with the wall - ie, it is not just a dumb hatch.

But, unfortunately the Wall Hatch is not part of the wall definition and will not display in a wall schedule. 

New Image_106.jpg

New Image_107.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, glennw said:

"Wall Hatch tool"

New Image_106.jpg

New Image_107.jpg

Thanks for mentioning this, Glenn. I looked into it and seems like a useful tool. I'll see how I'll use it on future projects.

Anyways, what I was asking was more of a drafting question than just a Chief question. Chief always shows project examples printed in color with wall legends. Because most builders print the drawings in B&W, we would have to use hatch patterns more than color so they look distinguishable when printed. Green wall fill looks like black when printed, for example. I'm just looking to see how others do things.