Modifying footing

CUJojo

• 9 months later...

Breaking the foundation wall works for expanding the footing mid-wall.  I have a situation where I need the footing to extend beyond an exterior corner because of an increased point load.  When I  Is there a way to manipulate the footing separately from the wall? 

-Sky

Chief Architect X9

41 minutes ago, 15Prairie said:

Breaking the foundation wall works for expanding the footing mid-wall.  I have a situation where I need the footing to extend beyond an exterior corner because of an increased point load. 

Same method works at the ends of walls too...

162855984_step1.thumb.jpg.19a2fef3eceee838848c556f358a0840.jpg585526117_step2.thumb.jpg.b9fbe42f8eb4872c92dbf1d598d5571a.jpg

What I find odd is a foundation wall with a different footing width, yet will still auto-join with adjoining foundation walls.  Changing the footing width should be enough to make the walls "different".  Doctrinally speaking, Chief should only auto-join with objects of the same settings - right?

13 minutes ago, johnny said:

What I find odd is a foundation wall with a different footing width, yet will still auto-join with adjoining foundation walls.  Changing the footing width should be enough to make the walls "different".  Doctrinally speaking, Chief should only auto-join with objects of the same settings - right?

The walls aren't actually getting joined.  The coplanar line is just getting removed which I would personally prefer most of the time anyway.  It happens with normal walls too.

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The walls aren't actually getting joined.  The coplanar line is just getting removed which I would personally prefer most of the time anyway.  It happens with normal walls too.

I used the term "joined" loosely....i thought it was faster than saying "coplanar line getting removed".;)

...and yes, that is the action id prefer too most of the time.  The problem being if this is really how Chief wanted us to deal with this common condition its kinda a PITA due to this rule of thumb.  Id personally rather use the Square Pad tool but have it graphically cut the footing line (maybe a checkbox option) so it shows properly in 2D plans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

I used the term "joined" loosely....i thought it was faster than saying "coplanar line getting removed".;)

...and yes, that is the action id prefer too most of the time.  The problem being if this is really how Chief wanted us to deal with this common condition its kinda a PITA due to this rule of thumb.  Id personally rather use the Square Pad tool but have it graphically cut the footing line (maybe a checkbox option) so it shows properly in 2D plans.

Ya, I can agree with this.  There are other methods that can be utilized too such as using the slab footing tool, using an invisible wall with a footing, or using slabs with CAD masks amongst others, but it would be nice if we could just add manually positioned footer material that blended into the auto produced footer.  

• Upvote 2

Interestingly - i haven't actually messed with using the Square Pad tool since we've been able to control the layer sequence.  I filled the pad with "background" and adjusted the layer stacking order...its not too terrible anymore (still not perfect, but i think doable).  What they do need to give us is the offset ability so we can properly center the point load in certain circumstances, but 99% of the time i just center it on the wall anyways.

footing.jpg

22 hours ago, johnny said:

Yes I would welcome this, instead of clunky work around's like precisely breaking foundation walls to change a footing size for a point load.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I would like to see something like this as well. Maybe they could set it up in a similar way to auto re-build foundations, auto re-build roofs, etc. There would be an "Auto re-build footings" checkbox somewhere that would add default footings to all foundation walls and move them with the walls or connect them as it does now. That would bring you to a good starting point.

Then when the drawing is more finalized, you could edit the footing like a polyline, but as soon as you do, it requires you to turn off "auto re-build footings."

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

I would like to see something like this as well. Maybe they could set it up in a similar way to auto re-build foundations, auto re-build roofs, etc. There would be an "Auto re-build footings" checkbox somewhere that would add default footings to all foundation walls and move them with the walls or connect them as it does now. That would bring you to a good starting point.

Then when the drawing is more finalized, you could edit the footing like a polyline, but as soon as you do, it requires you to turn off "auto re-build footings."

+1 I like this idea. You should post it into the suggestion's forum

I would NOT edit footings for concentrated loads in the manner described above. I'd use a separate object (there's a few that work nicely) because:

1. its faster...much faster
  2. I'd be reporting all those atypical footings in a schedule
  3. the reinforcing (which should vary dependent on the loads) can also be reported in the aforementioned schedule
  4. I don't want Chief telling me I can or can't display them. More control...yes please!

15 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

One thing to keep in mind is that some folks use the material report to get foundation concrete volume.

Some solutions may not play well with the report.

While Alan's point is definitely valid, I will mention that the amount of concrete that would be duplicated in Chief's materials list using my method would just barely be enough to prime a concrete pump and as such for almost all projects would be an inaccuracy that is insignificant.