Dormer/Roofline Issues

contractcad

I have a couple issues regarding the attached plan that I'm hoping someone can direct me in the best approach to solve.  I have several locations where my roof planes overlap that I am not getting my exterior siding along with the area shown in the picture where I have a bit of missing wall as well.  I already took care of one area by being able to place a straightforward dormer but the balance I thought was either a bit to cut up to try or not an area I'd really consider a dormer (not sure how well it would work). I can fix a couple of spots by just adding a face skinned with the exterior siding but in the area shown by the picture I included shows my missing wall that I mentioned before.  I also have circled an anomaly caused by where I have the corresponding roof baseline located that I'm not sure how to solve either.

Also, note that the plan is being drawn as the way the home exists at this time but I will be adding an addition to the front gable end to extend it out by 20 feet or so.  My next question is regarding setting up roofs for rafters/trusses which I can select in the default roof settings for the plan.  This house is mostly rafters but the front gable end is no doubt a scissors truss with 3/12 cathedral ceiling which I plan to continue into the new addition.  Just not seeing where I can select trusses for individual roof planes.

1520 Pettibone Alt01.plan

InkedEaves 1_LI.jpg

Thanks solver, removing that wayward break in the roof plane got rid of my soffit problem.  As for the outside walls where I needed siding I just went with adding faces rather than changing wall types because of the annoyance of siding getting inside the house envelope (but I guess I get drywall where I don't want it as well - unless I mess with the wall type).

I like how the dormers only take the siding walls down to the roof plane - was trying to see if I could accomplish the same using regular walls in the other areas and just changing wall options but didn't see a magic button anywhere to do that.

Now in the one dormer where I added drywall walls below the siding walls of the dormer that are above the roof plane I got the interior at least to look right on the inside of the room but I had wall connection issues whereby the small unfinished attic spaces would still highlight with the rest of the room and I couldn't specify them as attic space - but... close enough!

Kbird, I'm sure my main problem in the one area I am missing part of the wall is the fact I didn't draw a wall there. I really didn't get that far into the house to really know how that room looks (bathroom with what I believe is another sloped ceiling over the tub) and it's so far not in the scope of my project so I am fine with just skinning the outside with a face showing siding for now.

I do have another question on locating faces and solids depth wise.  When I create them in a view they can sometimes end up far beyond the area that I attempt to create them and I have to switch to a view 90 degrees from the one I was in  and then find it to wrangle the thing back to actual spot I want it.  Am I missing a step to precisely locate them when I make these things?

6 hours ago, solver said:

You really need to study the software a bit :)

ct1.thumb.png.3bdf3237cac7b925b4050670b9c29915.png

In a blank plan, open an elevation and draw a solid. Back to plan to see where it is.

Draw a wall so it's in front of the camera. Draw a solid in front of the wall. Check to see where it's located.

(This is covered in the documentation)

What He Said  :) .......... I was thinking the same thing as I read your reply.....

I would highly recommend the Use of the F1 Key (Context sensitive help) , whenever you has a doubt about something.....no one is going to sit down and read a 1600 page manual and this is a way to ket small chunks at a time , and you get to use thatinfo straight away so there is more chance of retaining it.

When I 1st started I also found both the CA Premier KnowledgeBase (KB) and the Home Designer KB had excellent Tutorials ( in PDF too) for many of the common FAQ Questions and basics like different Roof Types.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/database.html

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/database.html

M.