Elevation dimensioning and annotation challenges

Michael_Gia

Howdie,

When working on an elevation or cross-section there are a few challenges and frustrations when trying to snap to items, faces, edges, surfaces etc...

I know a lot of people use the technique or work-around of creating a cad detail from view and then pasting back lines, points etc to locate items but that's not very efficient. 

It seems like trying to dimension the top of a window is like looking for Waldo when you can't seem to drag your dimension line to the right spot.

I often open the window dbx copy the absolute elevation of the window and then draw a line and paste the height in the line dbx.  I guess I could also us Story Pole for this sort of thing...

Why does Chief have such a hard time locating items in elevation view?

Why can't I snap to a p-solid in every view of that p-solid? 

Does everybody have the same frustrations as I do?

Has this issue been brought up with Chief by anybody, formally, or even in a phone call to tech at Chief?

(the dimension default does absolutely nothing to help, so don't refer me to the locate objects of the dimension default dbx)

Yes story pole dimensions are improving but elevations views would be a lot easier to work with if there were some improvements.

A simple solution that I think chief could implement very easily would be an auto cad detail overlay that could be toggled on or off with a one click tool on the toolbar.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes story pole dimensions are improving but elevations views would be a lot easier to work with if there were some improvements.

A simple solution that I think chief could implement very easily would be an auto cad detail overlay that could be toggled on or off with a one click tool on the toolbar.

You mean, "create cad detail from view" in place?

Like the "copy in place" command?

that would solve a lot.  good suggestion, if I understood you correctly, that is.

1 minute ago, Michael_Gia said:

You mean, "create cad detail from view" in place?

Like the "copy in place" command?

that would solve a lot.  good suggestion, if I understood you correctly, that is.

Yes just an ON OFF button when you are in Section or Elevation that would work with one click 95% of the time.

Maybe if you had something really nasty and out of the norm you could create an editable cad detail the normal way.

• Upvote 1