Lost Setups?

Larry_Sweeney

This may be a little lengthy, but here it goes.  Yesterday afternoon I finally had some time to set down and work with X11 beta. To start out fresh, I wanted to make all new dimension, text, etc. defaults instead of using my old ones. This also included anno and layer sets. Basically because, over the years, I added many items to these defaults that I now realize I don't need so I thought it was a good time to start a new slate. I started by opening up a new untitled plan so to have access to the toolbar. I spent the next four or five hours setting everything up. Getting near the finish, my wife informed me it was time for dinner. Being a smart husband for 48 yrs. I quickly got up from my desk (without saving the "untitled plan") ,went and enjoyed a great cooked meal and then after that sat down to ponder the evening news. During the news (and old timers nap time) the power flipped off for maybe 30 seconds. With this happening, of course, the computer went off. Now comes my dilemma. On opening X11 back up I'm realizing everything (dimension, text etc., etc. defaults--annosets, layersets and so on) I had set up wasn't saved. Am I "screwed" or can I find my work "somewhere"? One thing to understand. I'm an -- well some would say-- "old fart". I do not understand the workings of a computer at all (or very little). I understand most of the program (or thought I did) since I've been using it since v10. It's like having a car today. You turn the key and it starts--Great!. If it doesn't start you call your mechanic. I'm calling on my "CA Mechanic" ----CHIEFTALK!  Can anyone help me or was yesterday a "day of practice"? I always appreciate all advice given back to me-----whether it's good or bad for me. So with that thought I say thank you.

26 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

This may be a little lengthy, but here it goes.  Yesterday afternoon I finally had some time to set down and work with X11 beta. To start out fresh, I wanted to make all new dimension, text, etc. defaults instead of using my old ones. This also included anno and layer sets. Basically because, over the years, I added many items to these defaults that I now realize I don't need so I thought it was a good time to start a new slate. I started by opening up a new untitled plan so to have access to the toolbar. I spent the next four or five hours setting everything up. Getting near the finish, my wife informed me it was time for dinner. Being a smart husband for 48 yrs. I quickly got up from my desk (without saving the "untitled plan") ,went and enjoyed a great cooked meal and then after that sat down to ponder the evening news. During the news (and old timers nap time) the power flipped off for maybe 30 seconds. With this happening, of course, the computer went off. Now comes my dilemma. On opening X11 back up I'm realizing everything (dimension, text etc., etc. defaults--annosets, layersets and so on) I had set up wasn't saved. Am I "screwed" or can I find my work "somewhere"? One thing to understand. I'm an -- well some would say-- "old fart". I do not understand the workings of a computer at all (or very little). I understand most of the program (or thought I did) since I've been using it since v10. It's like having a car today. You turn the key and it starts--Great!. If it doesn't start you call your mechanic. I'm calling on my "CA Mechanic" ----CHIEFTALK!  Can anyone help me or was yesterday a "day of practice"? I always appreciate all advice given back to me-----whether it's good or bad for me. So with that thought I say thank you.

Unfortunately you had a lovely Practice Day :(   this is one Chief has been asked to fix but hasn't to date, as we have all been caught at least once.

Chief does not Autosave , un-named Files , so there is no Archive safety net made.....really on opening a New Plan , you should Save it ((Ctrl-S)) with any name....if you don't have one to start with, and then do a Save As , later as details fall into place.

M

5 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Mick.....................Thanks for the info. You made my day!   :)   I had a strong feeling that would be the answer.----------- Well, like you said--"Great practice Day! You have a great day. Me, I'm going to have a coffee.

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News Larry.....but Today's Redo ( after saving , mine is set to hourly ) will go so much quicker now :)

time for another Coffee here too :)