Teigha error

BillsburgChief

When I try to import a .dwg file, I get an error message that reads "The following error occurred while reading the file: Teigha error: 42 - invalid file version.  Would you like to attempt to recover from the error?"   If I click yes, it just generates the same error message.  Does anyone know what this means?

Usually has to do with missing data, or compatibility (i.e. paper space, xreferencing or unsupported file formats). I don't know how to correct it, but the last time it happened to me I sent the cad file back to the designer and he update the export to a 2018 file version to work with my X10 (at the time) and it worked fine then.

• Upvote 1

I am going to assume that you are still using X7 because that is what your signature says.  X7, which was released back in 2015, can't read any files written in the new Autocad 2019 format because this format did not exist when X7 was written.  Even X10 can't read any 2019 files because this format was not available when X10 was released.

The good news is that X11 should be able to read Autocad 2019 files.  If a newer file format is released sometime in the future, X11 will not be able to read it.

The bottom line is that you should always make sure the files you are trying to import are in a format that your program version supports.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2019 at 9:34 AM, Dermot said:

I am going to assume that you are still using X7 because that is what your signature says.  X7, which was released back in 2015, can't read any files written in the new Autocad 2019 format because this format did not exist when X7 was written.  Even X10 can't read any 2019 files because this format was not available when X10 was released.

The good news is that X11 should be able to read Autocad 2019 files.  If a newer file format is released sometime in the future, X11 will not be able to read it.

The bottom line is that you should always make sure the files you are trying to import are in a format that your program version supports.

I am using X11 (I did a search in the forum which brought me to this thread) and I am getting the same error.

46 minutes ago, Chloe1Casey said:

I am using X11 (I did a search in the forum which brought me to this thread) and I am getting the same error.

f you want to check the AutoCAD version of any given DWG file, simply right click and Open With>Notepad.  Once the file opens up, check the first few characters...

Version.thumb.jpg.423d37bd9d05f871299c0df0a3e71232.jpg

...and then reference the chart below to find the AutoCAD version.

Code          Version                                                
AC1032      AutoCAD 2018
AC1027      AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017
AC1024      AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012
AC1021      AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009
AC1018      AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006
AC1015      AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002
AC1014      AutoCAD Release 14
AC1012      AutoCAD Release 13

I'm not sure what the AutoCAD 2019 code is, but that might be your problem.  Not sure X11 was being developed in time to deal with the latest AutoCAD version or not.  You could also try to post the DWG file here to see if someone can help you sort it out.

To add to Gawdzira above, AutoDesk TrueView is a freeware viewer that comes with a conversion program that can save backward through all ACad versions.  I find it much more helpful than going back to someone to save back instead.  It uses the current engine and produces the same output that Autocad would use to save backward.

At this time, X11 does not support the Autocad 2018/2019 file formats.  Originally it was going to but we found a number of problems with the library we are using and we had to remove it while we are waiting on fixes for them.  So for now, you will need to make sure your DXF/DWG files are written in the Autocad 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017 file format (or earlier) in order to import them into X11.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but Thank You madcowscarnival! The AutoDesk TrueView solution helped solve an issue with importing a file into X14. Although we have AutoCAD LT 2023, I wasn't able to back-save to earlier acad formats because of custom objects that weren't supported. TrueView was the answer.