Is There a Way To Build This Truss System in Chief?

HumbleChief

We want to drop the trusses down inside of a ballooned framed parapet wall EDIT: with a 1/4" / 12 slope. No need to get exact with inside ledgers but the basics would be nice for a section cut that looks correct. Tried dropping the roof plane down but needed to raise the floor to get the walls up high enough. Should I put on another floor above?

TRUSS HANGER 1.png

I did a home design similar to what your are doing many years ago and got the design done OK.  Funny thing, that was a 2nd house I designed for my clients ... they scrapped the first one ... and then they found out there were lots of rattlesnakes around/on their property so never built there and sold the lot.  The were in fear of one of their grand kids getting bit while visiting them.  So they ended up remodeling their existing home in town.

7 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

I did a home design similar to what your are doing many years ago and got the design done OK.  Funny thing, that was a 2nd house I designed for my clients ... they scrapped the first one ... and then they found out there were lots of rattlesnakes around/on their property so never built there and sold the lot.  The were in fear of one of their grand kids getting bit while visiting them.  So they ended up remodeling their existing home in town.

The design is possible but I tried for at least an hour chasing trusses that would not build and floors that would not show and...you know the drill in Chief...and decided it was time to fold 'em and get on with the job. Of course it only took 20 minutes to detail the section by hand but live and learn...

19 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

The design is possible but I tried for at least an hour chasing trusses that would not build and floors that would not show and...you know the drill in Chief...and decided it was time to fold 'em and get on with the job. Of course it only took 20 minutes to detail the section by hand but live and learn...

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

Were you using a roof truss or a floor truss?

Joey has it right here, method as follows:

build second floor, set rough ceiling height to the height of your parapet wall.

turn ceiling/roof-over to off

go to first floor

place ceiling joist as ledger

use ceiling/floor truss tool

alternatively you could keep it as 1 floor and drag walls up past framing

should work perfectly

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

Were you using a roof truss or a floor truss?

Thanks. Roof truss as there is a 1/4 per foot slope on the errr roof.... Ended up figuring it out using the first floor roof truss and raising the roof to match the lowest point of the truss. Added second floor to rep the parapet walls. Never did get the ceiling to show on the first floor however. 

INSET_TRUSS_1.plan

34 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Joey has it right here, method as follows:

build second floor, set rough ceiling height to the height of your parapet wall.

turn ceiling/roof-over to off

go to first floor

place ceiling joist as ledger

use ceiling/floor truss tool

alternatively you could keep it as 1 floor and drag walls up past framing

should work perfectly

Seems as though it "should work perfectly" and be that straight forward but I believe there are a few additional steps needed and perhaps it's because there's a roof not a floor truss? Need a 1/4 per foot roof not a floor truss. I got it done but never got the first floor ceiling to show, which might actually be the floor above?.

Interesting. With a floor truss the truss depth is determined by the floor depth above, makes sense. With a roof truss inset on the first floor the roof has to raised until a truss will draw or the height of the low side of the roof truss in this case 12". Raise the roof 12" and a truss will draw. There's a minimum where the ceiling and roof plane are too close together but don't know what that is...

Also the second floor need the floors (has floor/no) deleted then all ballooned thru etc.

Still never got all the views correct....like no ceiling on first floor. May be too simple for me but never really got it.

28 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Need a 1/4 per foot roof not a floor truss.

this isn't worth time to create IMO, just a note 1/4" per ft should suffice no? Gave up trying to show slopes(floor sloping) a long while ago, doesn't serve any purpose other than to satisfy my being irked , haha

if your determined to accomplish this, does a soffit show up in lieu of the ceiling plane not showing up?

15 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

this isn't worth time to create IMO, just a note 1/4" per ft should suffice no? Gave up trying to show slopes(floor sloping) a long while ago, doesn't serve any purpose other than to satisfy my being irked , haha

if your determined to accomplish this, does a soffit show up in lieu of the ceiling plane not showing up?

For me it's not worth the time because the bonehead kicks in far too early but I was challenged by the task. It's a sloping roof with a parapet, not a sloping floor, if that matters, and is doable by raising the roof plane to make room for the trusses, setting the structure of the roof to '0' and ballooning the framing through second floor. Also needed/wanted to show the slope of the roof for the section, the Truss manufacturer, and the builder.

Did you try it? Maybe not as hard as I tend to make things? :P

Just now, HumbleChief said:

For me it's not worth the time because the bonehead kicks in far too early but I was challenged by the task. It's a sloping roof with a parapet, not a sloping floor, if that matters, and is doable by raising the roof plane to make room for the trusses, setting the structure of the roof to '0' and ballooning the framing through second floor. Also needed/wanted to show the slope of the roof for the section, the Truss manufacturer, and the builder.

Did you try it? Maybe not as hard as I tend to make things? :P

was just going off of memory, trying to grind away at a plan-check at the moment, ughh