Attic and Floor Ventilation

builtright3

I currently use a spread sheet to do my ventilation for crawl space and attic space. I put the square footage in and I cut and paste the chart into the plan.

This works good for me but If anyone has a better way of doing this that would be more automatic and I don't have to use the spread sheet and cut and paste I would love to hear Idea's. I would even be willing to pay for a macro setup or something if someone already is using a system that I would like.

If my spread sheet is better, then someone can pay me! LOL! I have at least an exhausting 15 minutes into building this beauty! LOL

Capture.thumb.PNG.7ce1d8cbb9b386d3aa77532b0c7c7267.PNG

8 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I currently use a spread sheet to do my ventilation for crawl space and attic space. I put the square footage in and I cut and paste the chart into the plan.

This works good for me but If anyone has a better way of doing this that would be more automatic and I don't have to use the spread sheet and cut and paste I would love to hear Idea's. I would even be willing to pay for a macro setup or something if someone already is using a system that I would like.

If my spread sheet is better, then someone can pay me! LOL! I have at least an exhausting 15 minutes into building this beauty! LOL

Capture.thumb.PNG.7ce1d8cbb9b386d3aa77532b0c7c7267.PNG

That's pretty cool me thinks Joe. I simply show the results in a text box but a spreadsheet is a good idea. Not sure how to avoid the cut and paste which I guess is the only down side?

9 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

That's pretty cool me thinks Joe. I simply show the results in a text box but a spreadsheet is a good idea. Not sure how to avoid the cut and paste which I guess is the only down side?

Yes, trying to avoid PDF and picture and such that increase the file size.

It would be nice if CA had a simple spread sheet based system or we could import/export spread sheets. Not sure if we can do that now? Macro's are confusing to me so I don't mess with them to much but I understand Excel very well. The truth is I'm a little lazy to learn more about macro's. 

2 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Yes, trying to avoid PDF and picture and such that increase the file size.

It would be nice if CA had a simple spread sheet based system or we could import/export spread sheets. Not sure if we can do that now? Macro's are confusing to me so I don't mess with them to much but I understand Excel very well. The truth is I'm a little lazy to learn more about macro's. 

Spread sheets can be imported/pasted but lose their functionality...

49 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I currently use a spread sheet to do my ventilation for crawl space and attic space.

I know you stated that you stray away from macros but these would be a very simple couple of macros and a note schedule to create a very dynamic ventilation spreadsheet

Joe,

This is a very nice format! However, you should be aware that you need to deal with Net Free Areas (NFA) of ventilation, not actual sizes of the units. It is seldom (never) that a 14" x 22" gable vent, say, will provide 2.13 SF of ventilation. The NFA is usually listed in the manufacturer's specs.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Joe,

This is a very nice format! However, you should be aware that you need to deal with Net Free Areas (NFA) of ventilation, not actual sizes of the units. It is seldom (never) that a 14" x 22" gable vent, say, will provide 2.13 SF of ventilation. The NFA is usually listed in the manufacturer's specs.

I know its not perfect but the cities have always approved it for the past 28 years I have been drawing plans so it works until I want to get more technical. A city plan checker guided me on this several years ago on what is excepted. 

3 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I know its not perfect but the cities have always approved it for the past 28 years I have been drawing plans so it works until I want to get more technical. A city plan checker guided me on this several years ago on what is excepted. 

Comes down to liability really, heaven forbid a house burns down...not saying the fire dept. would discover the ventilation was wrong but...

Richard was correct, gave him a +1

Bay Area we are getting a lot of contract plan checkers who don't miss a detail

I understand ventilation and what is required for my area. I also no that square footage is not the only factor. There are spacing requirements and other factors to take into consideration. Also for sure high fire area's which I am not in. I get it.

My original question inst about that. But again I really appreciate the input.

In order to do ventilation area calculations using macros (which I have done) it requires that you:

1. Collect the total areas of Crawl Spaces, Basements, Garages & Attics
  2. Collect the total areas of all Vents and they must be identified as to what type they are 
  • The Types would correspond to the above listed spaces
  • The Types can be based on room names containing specific words.

All of the above can be done using macros within the Labels of Rooms & Vents. 

The calculations of required vent areas may vary depending on the locale.

The NFA is dependent on the vents being used and as such need to be plugged into the macros that display the required and actual vent sizes.

@HumbleChief @Joe_Carrick @builtright3

Did a super simple schedule using notes- Joe's method is better but above my skills at writing macros- didn't complete this but you can reverse engineer to your needs.

Qty needs to be input in macros, multiplies qty times NFA and reports...totals simply adds value together

@Joe_Carrick can you pull qty from a qty of notes present?

Capture.thumb.PNG.58e836ffdb9ffd28264870206e60f834.PNG

plan file containing schedule: vent area schedule.plan

12 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

can you pull qty from a qty of notes present?

I am pretty sure that would work - but I just prefer to use the model itself as the data source.  I set a timer on my data accumulation macros so that they stay updated properly.

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I am pretty sure that would work - but I just prefer to use the model itself as the data source.  I set a timer on my data accumulation macros so that they stay updated properly.

I would pay for this- I've wanted to use it before as a method, parsing qty from qty of notes

27 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Please send me a PM with a more detailed description of what you want.

I would like your help also if your willing but I need to understand more about what I'm asking for. Unless you have a system your already doing I can purchase from you and then make any adjustments I need.

Basically, most of my work are Room Additions so I only need it to calculate the add on area and not the whole house. They don't typically ask me to include the roof that over lays the existing in the square footage for the attic, I usually only calculate the floor square footage. 

Let me know what you think

Thank you Joe!

29 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

If vents are based on area then could the area be pulled from the room finish schedule? 

Capture.thumb.PNG.e6a19498dc7d2c5822bf4817869fd74d.PNG

No, because there's no way to get the data from the Schedule.  The only way to accumulate areas is to utilize the Room Labels or the Label of Polylines.  It can be done with a macro but it's not easy to do because it's a running total and has to be reset periodically so the same areas are not added repeatedly.

That means setting a timer to limit when the label macros update the data is critical.