Library / Master Prices for Materials List

Sydney23

Hi,

I'm trying to use CA to come up with some rough and ready pricing, which I've never used before but believe it can do. I've watched a couple of videos, read the Help and this forum but haven't found a couple of really basic things:

I drew a CMU wall and got a materials list off it:

1) It has a per metre section under "General" but there's no price. Can I save a price per metre for this kind of wall that would then be the default for whenever I create this kind of wall in other files? I can't find it under wall definition and can't find a master materials/price list anywhere.

2) I changed the height of the wall in the plan but the materials list doesn't reflect that change. How do I keep the materials list up to date? Or do Ihave to manually pull off a new materials list every time the plan changes?

3) There is a second section showing materials for this wall under "Framing". How is framing anything to do with a concrete CMU wall?

4) The Framing wall section has the CMU blocks as 128x256x190. In the UK that should be 215x215x440. I changed it successfully in one file but when I started a new file and ran the same test, it was back to the old small size. Where do I change this material's default - in the library somehow?

5) There is no price assigned to the framing section either. I can force it to work by entering a price per block, but how do I get this saved to defaults so it always comes up with that price in other plans?

6) I just tried the same thing with a typical UK block/cavity/brick wall - the bricks have come up under a section called "Wall Board"! What the heck is going on?

I'll keep bashing my head against this one but any advice gratefully received.

(BTW, I do less design these days so am still on X6)

Many thanks!

X6 Still ? --- well now I am just gonna be guessing :)   , see below

10 hours ago, Sydney23 said:

Hi,

I'm trying to use CA to come up with some rough and ready pricing, which I've never used before but believe it can do. I've watched a couple of videos, read the Help and this forum but haven't found a couple of really basic things:

I drew a CMU wall and got a materials list off it:

1) It has a per metre section under "General" but there's no price. Can I save a price per metre for this kind of wall that would then be the default for whenever I create this kind of wall in other files? I can't find it under wall definition and can't find a master materials/price list anywhere.

Yes add it to the price Column in the ML ( chief provides no pricing as that id "local" info and then "Update to the Master List for future use...

PS for Brick and Block check the Totals as back then I don't think CA calculated what was needed but used sqft (sq/m only) try a 5mx5m square house and check number against std. methods. and if needed use the Extra Column to add a % or Count to add to the Total.

2) I changed the height of the wall in the plan but the materials list doesn't reflect that change. How do I keep the materials list up to date? Or do Ihave to manually pull off a new materials list every time the plan changes?

ML are SNAPSHOTS only at the given time they are made...you need to delete and Open again...    (Update to Master List Often)

3) There is a second section showing materials for this wall under "Framing". How is framing anything to do with a concrete CMU wall?

Without the plan not sure .....Ceiling? , furring for Drywall?  floor?

4) The Framing wall section has the CMU blocks as 128x256x190. In the UK that should be 215x215x440. I changed it successfully in one file but when I started a new file and ran the same test, it was back to the old small size. Where do I change this material's default - in the library somehow?

Change the Material, ( make copy to User Library and then Edit it)  not in the ML list... IF i understand you correctly. Specify new Material in Default WallType.

5) There is no price assigned to the framing section either. I can force it to work by entering a price per block, but how do I get this saved to defaults so it always comes up with that price in other plans?

Update the Master List

6) I just tried the same thing with a typical UK block/cavity/brick wall - the bricks have come up under a section called "Wall Board"! What the heck is going on?

Not quite sure with no Plan but it sounds like the Brick is assigned as the Interior Layer in the Wall Def.  ( CA would expect Drywall or Wallboard there) but you maybe can change the Category (ID) to Masonry

I'll keep bashing my head against this one but any advice gratefully received.

Hope the Head is ok  :) ... I've been there in regards to the ML too ... maybe by X12 or 14 it will work how we all want it too :) , they are working on it....

(BTW, I do less design these days so am still on X6)

Many thanks!

Mick.

Mick,

Thanks v much. it seems a bit long-winded for something that only really needs the equivalent of a spreadsheet of materials and prices - like I do in Excel - but hey ho. I'll keep going because once working it could be v useful to me and clients.

Still having bricks and blocks showing up in "Framing" and "Wallboard" - crazy, I can't seem to force t to be masonry by default but am going to work more on my own library and will probably get there eventually - via trial and error!

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Sydney23 said:

Mick,

Thanks v much. it seems a bit long-winded for something that only really needs the equivalent of a spreadsheet of materials and prices - like I do in Excel - but hey ho. I'll keep going because once working it could be v useful to me and clients.

Still having bricks and blocks showing up in "Framing" and "Wallboard" - crazy, I can't seem to force t to be masonry by default but am going to work more on my own library and will probably get there eventually - via trial and error!

Thanks again.

The ML is "dumb" and I suspect all main wall layers are framing and all interior Layers are seen as WallBoard even if your wall def. says it is Brick and plaster for example in the ML. But In the ML you should be able to move a  Item by changing it's ID ( there is a dropdown in each item) to Masonry. ( IDs are in Material list in Preferences for reference)

Much especially back in X6 I think is hardcoded and names etc can't be changed , eg all Wood is Fir ....even if you Spec Spruce. So you will likely need to play with Categories etc ( in Preference IIRC in X6 , I don't have it installed to check, sorry) and you maybe able to add things , eg Sand and  Cement via the Accessories too in the ML too.

M.