How to make drawer box different material than drawer front

dskogg

Thanks Mark, is that drawer box/pullout specification option new?

Finally i can show and save what our cabinets actually look like, birch interior cabinets and drawer boxes with finished panels and drawers/doors.

I saved the drawer box as a 10" high drawer and it auto adjusts for height.

I have fooled around with the bounding box to get drawer box closer to side of cabinet, we use undermount drawer slides which brings drawer side to about 1/8" from cabinet and ca seems to want to make this always larger?

drawer box specification p1.JPG

full ht cabinet with birch carcass open.jpg

full ht cabinet with birch carcass closed.jpg

14 hours ago, dskogg said:

Thanks Mark, is that drawer box/pullout specification option new?

Finally i can show and save what our cabinets actually look like, birch interior cabinets and drawer boxes with finished panels and drawers/doors. 

It existed in X10, would have to check back for X9 (I know it was possible to hack in 9 but may not have been as easy)

Maybe you want to add edge tape to the faces of the box too, no?

Doesn't work as well with 5/8 but doable- vertical tape is done with legs, retain toe kick -need symbols for each specific height set not to resize height.

Horizontal top-changed separation to side panel inset-custom door symbol

Did the bottom with just a door symbol since that looks ok.

Frameless with tape.png

9 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

It existed in X10, would have to check back for X9 (I know it was possible to hack in 9 but may not have been as easy)

Maybe you want to add edge tape to the faces of the box too, no?

Doesn't work as well with 5/8 but doable- vertical tape is done with legs, retain toe kick -need symbols for each specific height set not to resize height.

Horizontal top-changed separation to side panel inset-custom door symbol

Did the bottom with just a door symbol since that looks ok.

Frameless with tape.png

HI Mark, i didn't think i could do edge tape(but that is our standard), sounds like i would have to adjust vertical for different heights?  but top and bottom would stay with cabinet?

Its typical cabinet construction as you know, even with a melamine particle board core you need to add edge tape, i am surprised chief doesnt take this into consideration.

I know there are lots of cheap cabinets out there in just white...but what about all the others?

could you show me in more detail what you did for legs and top and bottom?

4 hours ago, dskogg said:

could you show me in more detail what you did for legs and top and bottom?

OK, once- you really want to go through the pain of dissecting from the instructions, will learn more. Sounds like you've already got a start on symbol control. It's just a matter of seeing what is available, what can I make it do that it was not intended to do, and some trial and error (which is the useful part for next time) Any way here is plan.

Taped box.zip

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Grumpka said:

On this same subject, I was messing around with some other ideas and came up with two-tone cabinet??? (IE: exterior one color, inside different).

I'm trying to grasp HOW this worked, as I can't seem to duplicate the result.  Mark, you are opening 'doors' for me with CA! 

twotone.JPG

twotone2.JPG

Some info on the originals here-using shelves

Nowadays I insert a shell with either 5 or 6 thin sides as custom door symbols into the back of the cabinet as "side panel inset".

Downside to that method is the automatic description for each cabinet becomes "P" peninsula. I still prefer it to using shelves and have that as a default. It allows more freedom when dealing with other accessories, looks a bit cleaner. I have a couple of cabinet label macros I used to use and just need to update those and newer ones I'm working on to account for the change in automatic description. That will likely mean that I'll need a couple of peninsula cabinets with labels in the user library as I'll just override that option completely in the macro.

The downside to using shelves is they end up in the "accessories/inserts" section of a schedule and IMO make it harder to add other accessories.

Since either can be set as a default AND most cabinets with accessories should go into a user library anyway it's a pick your poison sort of thing.

Note-just remembered that using the back has allowed me to make cabinets with a chase in the top back for vent ducts which is handy to check clearances and get a detail for mfg.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 9:00 AM, MarkMc said:

OK, once- you really want to go through the pain of dissecting from the instructions, will learn more. Sounds like you've already got a start on symbol control. It's just a matter of seeing what is available, what can I make it do that it was not intended to do, and some trial and error (which is the useful part for next time) Any way here is plan.

Taped box.zip

Hi Mark, i tried using your tape symbol on an upper cabinet and the right side keeps displaying off of cabinet edge?

is there something different to do for an upper?

edge tape pic.JPG